Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jasco 1000w Dimmer - Make It On/Off Only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jasco 1000w Dimmer - Make It On/Off Only?

I want this dimmer to function as on/off only from the switch, thus disable all dimming capability. However, in the future if I move the switch somewhere else I may way to re-enable dimming.

I missing something dumb?

I looked at the config params, didn't see anything, and didn't see anything on the instructions on how to program at the switch.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2168

Originally posted by fksk View Post
    I want this dimmer to function as on/off only from the switch, thus disable all dimming capability. However, in the future if I move the switch somewhere else I may way to re-enable dimming.

I missing something dumb?

I looked at the config params, didn't see anything, and didn't see anything on the instructions on how to program at the switch.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2168
    Dimmers usually cannot be configured as switches. They use a triac, MOSFET or other solid state device to modify the output waveform. Even at "On" the output is going to be a modified sine wave. While that is OK for most lights, it won't work on other loads. Switches usually use a relay, but could use a MOSFET or other solid state device in a pure switching mode, but dimmers always chop the waveform to some degree.

If you want it to behave as a switch with a compatible load, you can alter the Status text to only have On and Off, by making the dim levels and last level status only values like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1194997

This would only allow it to be On or Off when controlled by HomeSeer. Unfortunately it will still be a dimmer when controlled locally. You could add an Event to override local control:

IF Light just had its value changed
    AND IF Light is not equal to Off
    AND IF Light is not equal to On
    Then set Light to On

With the Event, if the light is set to any value other than Off or On it will be set to On. If you set it to Off, the Event would have no effect.

Again, it must be a dimming compatible load.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Dimmers usually cannot...

-snip-
      Randy,

THIS. IS. FANTASTIC. Easy to reverse and doing EXACTLY what I need.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fksk View Post
        Randy,

THIS. IS. FANTASTIC. Easy to reverse and doing EXACTLY what I need.

Thank you!!!!!!!
        Glad to help.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          Dimmers usually cannot be configured as switches. They use a triac, MOSFET or other solid state device to modify the output waveform. Even at "On" the output is going to be a modified sine wave. While that is OK for most lights, it won't work on other loads. Switches usually use a relay, but could use a MOSFET or other solid state device in a pure switching mode, but dimmers always chop the waveform to some degree.

If you want it to behave as a switch with a compatible load, you can alter the Status text to only have On and Off, by making the dim levels and last level status only values like this:

[ATTACH]66160[/ATTACH]

This would only allow it to be On or Off when controlled by HomeSeer. Unfortunately it will still be a dimmer when controlled locally. You could add an Event to override local control:

IF Light just had its value changed
          AND IF Light is not equal to Off
          AND IF Light is not equal to On
          Then set Light to On

With the Event, if the light is set to any value other than Off or On it will be set to On. If you set it to Off, the Event would have no effect.

Again, it must be a dimming compatible load.

Randy,
          This is really well put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X