Vacation home-power off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacation home-power off

I am considering automating a 2nd home which I visit in the summer. I usually turn the power off at the main breaker when I am away.

If I use z-wave, WiFi, or some of the other new smart IOT devices, how long can these devices remain powered off and still retain their configuration information.

I know they will probably be OK for a few weeks, but will they still work after a power outage of 6-9 months?

Anybody have any experience with this? I am especially interested in WiFi devices because they seem to be the most cost effective and I already have WiFi there.

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Quite likely indefinitely as the data will be stored in memory that is non volatile (odd little bits of flash memory), the days of volatile memory that needs battery backup is thankfully largely over. One exception I've noticed is devices that need to keep an accurate clock whilst a device is powered off (most things however if network based will download the time from an NTP server on boot up), I can't think I've taken apart anything made recently that has a battery backup for storing memory data.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      Quite likely indefinitely as the data will be stored in memory that is non volatile (odd little bits of flash memory), the days of volatile memory that needs battery backup is thankfully largely over. One exception I've noticed is devices that need to keep an accurate clock whilst a device is powered off (most things however if network based will download the time from an NTP server on boot up), I can't think I've taken apart anything made recently that has a battery backup for storing memory data.
      Thanks, good to know!

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
      X