Package Delivery Announcement via IFTTT Plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package Delivery Announcement via IFTTT Plug-in

This isn't a question. I'm just sharing what I was able to do with Spud's plugin, but not with the native IFTTT capability.

Basically, I wanted HS to announce whenever a package was delivered since I typically use the garage entrance and not the front door. I have currently signed up for package status notices via SMS Text with USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Generally, these texts are pretty instantaneous when a package is delivered versus the email notices that are frequently delayed.

How I accomplished this is by defining an IFTTT Recipe (actually 3 - one each for USPS, UPS, and FedEx), that when I receive a SMS text from a certain number, it creates a file on Dropbox "ingredients" as follows:

$ifttt_SMS_OccurredAt={{OccurredAt}}<br>
    $ifttt_SMS_ContactName={{ContactName}}<br>
    $ifttt_SMS_FromNumber={{FromNumber}}<br>
    $ifttt_SMS_Text={{Text}}<br>

The SPUD IFTTT plug-in then retrieves this message and puts the data (date/time, sender number, sender contact name, and message) into HS Global variables. I then have two events that run:

1) If IFTTT trigger from the plug in (i.e. got a new file), copy the Global variables into virtual devices. I do this so whatever the last received text info is saved and survives a HS restart.

2) The 2nd event looks for any change in the OccurredAt value AND checks to see if the word "delivered" is in the text message. If so, I have HS announce that a package was delivered.

When I have some more time, I'll try to parse out the received message further to have it announce more info about the delivery such as location (ie. mailbox/front porch) and signed for by, etc.

Note, you could this method in a more generic way so that EVERY text you receive could be saved to a virtual device(s) in HS and have it trigger an action.

This seems rather complicated. Why not just trigger an HS3 event based on an email received from UPS, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

It was certainly more complicated than I wanted, but I had originally started with the email messages; however, the email delivery notices are often hours delayed versus text message which come through as soon as they scan the package at your door.

I was hoping to do it more more natively, but there's no easy way to get SMS to HS (looked into teh GSM plug in). Ultimately though, it works perfectly.

Comment

Nice!
        Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
        X