Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use an Echo with Homeseer w/o cloud listening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you use an Echo with Homeseer w/o cloud listening?

Hi folks

I searched but did not find anything related to this question.

This may seem like a strange question, but I personally don't like Amazon knowing/listening to what I say, or some hacker listening in on me. I've been in the IT industry too long, and I am waiting for the first incident of privacy issues for this device. Am I crazy or too paranoid!?

QUESTION:
    Is there any way to use the Amazon Echo for JUST Homeseer and nothing else? (i.e., turn off the cloud recording? Only local?)

Any other good, similar solutions are welcome?

Thanks,
    -Brian

Nope, it requires the Amazon service.

Echo only 'records' after the device locally determines the wake up word has been heard. Only then (when the ring lights up blue) is audio sent to Amazon for processing.

I've been in the tech world as well for nearly 20 years so I can appreciate the lack of trust and speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t think there is anything entirely local except for Spud’s Kinect Plugin. But, I’ve found that the Kinect ‘Cortana’ is the insane one from the last few Halo games as she hears things and turns things off and on in her own. So, there’s no real viable off-net VR that I’m aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
        Nope, it requires the Amazon service.

Echo only 'records' after the device locally determines the wake up word has been heard. Only then (when the ring lights up blue) is audio sent to Amazon for processing.
        Has anyone read the EULA for the Amazon service?

Do they "own" your voice recording and have the right to store, edit etc.?

Will we have to fall back to the native HS3 VR now that the Kinect is dead if we want local only voice processing and control?

Comment

Working...
        X