Microphone for Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microphone for Homeseer

Can anyone recommend a suitable (non expensive) microphone for use with Homeseer. I have seen the one on the Homeseer site but this is far too expensive. Also are there any easy on line starter guides for Homeseer. I am trying out the demo version but can,t get anywhere with voice recognition.

Many thanks

Graham Yeates

As far as microphones go there are as many as there are opinions. A search on this board for microphones will return enough reading to material to get you educated on other users experiences.

As far as a getting started guide. The help file delivered with HS is among the best you'll ever find. The first topic is Getting Started. The next best place to go for answers is right here. My suggestion to a new user would be TAKE IT SLOW and do not try to take it all in at once. Pick a couple of devices you most want to automate/control and go from there. This BB and product can overwhelm you if your not careful. Good Luck and welcome to the best product and bulletin board available for home automation at least in my biased opinion.

-Rupp

So what's the speed of dark?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can anyone recommend a suitable (non expensive) microphone for use with Homeseer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Graham, I initally bought a $20 headset with boom mike and had great success. I have since bought a cordless lapel mic from Radio Shack. It took a little more training to get it to be reliable, but it now works great.

A friend of mine uses the microphones in his X-10 cameras. Motion dectors swich cameras as he changes rooms. That ensures the correct camera/mic is on. (he currently lives alone with no pets....) He said it took a very long time to train it for reliable recognition, but it now works fine for him.

I think the key is to spend time training VR to recognize your voice. Train it in the same manner that you will use it.

Rob

Comment

If you hope to use microphones not in close proximity to your person (e.g. mounted on the wall) then I think you will find NO inexpensive solutions. The best price for microphones to cover a section of a room is $60, but then the $200 per port for the microphone mixer that is required will set you back some!

If your search uncovers something that works well, please share it with us!

Regards,

Rick Tinker
        HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>microphones not in close proximity to your person<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick, A buddy of mine uses the microphones in the cheap little X-10 cameras. One in each room of his house. Voice recognition took a fair bit of training, but it works. Granted, the price of the camera is more than a decent mike, but the price of a decent mike and a decent camera is MUCH more than those X-10 cameras.

Those microphones in the cameras are not that bad. I have a camera at my front door. When I first hooked it up, I could hear my neighbors. I thought they were at my front door. They were at THEIR front door across the street 100 feet away. I could hear/understand every word they said...

I am experimenting with these cameras as mics and so far the only big problem I am having is feedback from other rooms that are not seperated by a wall or door. So far they work fairly well. I have not done enough VR training with them to get them to work flawlessly yet.

If you have a room with a camera and you also want/need a mic, consider the little cheap wired X-10 cameras.

I have to say though that this has a geek level of EXTREME! :-)

Rob

Comment

I bought one XCam before deciding they were junk. Well, almost junk: I use it to listen to my home from my shop. It gives a very clear broadcast of the answering machine. The video isn't even hooked up.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by candg:
              Can anyone recommend a suitable (non expensive) microphone for use with Homeseer. I have seen the one on the Homeseer site but this is far too expensive. Also are there any easy on line starter guides for Homeseer. I am trying out the demo version but can,t get anywhere with voice recognition.

Many thanks

Graham Yeates<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

joel00

Your second question first, Voice recognition.

The voice recognition depends very much on the micraphone and the voice recognition software you are using. It also requires to be "trained". Any cheap mic such as creative labs will do, but will not allow you to be anywhere other than one foot away from the mic. Do the initial training on a mic such as this, then let the commands be recognised from other mics.

Regarding a mic, yes the one HS haev is expensive. I found an interesting alternative, cheap, small and nasty mics that are used for hands free car mobile phones. I have four of them positioned in my living area and they work perfect, as long as I remember not to speak to the carpet but to one of the corners where they are, I don't even have to raise my voice.

However, the mic will not work unless you have trained the voice recognition package.

Hope this helps,
                Gogs.
                sigpic
                A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Generally, how do you multiplex those hands free mics to hook into a soundcard?

Thanks!

HomeSeer Page: http://wrb.tzo.com
                  Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
                  512 MB RAM PC2700
                  Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
                  ATTNV Crystal 16
                  Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
                  SECU-16I to be added for security system upgrade soon
                  mcs Temperature (Works great!)
                  ROC Outlook (Works great!)
                  Video / Captures with ConquerCam
                  NetCallerID

~Bill

Comment

Hi William,

I use an old Tandy (Radio Shack in the US) mixer which has a pre-amp in it. The mics are far enough apart that only one of them picks up my voice. The only problem I have had is if someone else is speaking in the room, oh, and I have to watch the volume of the TV or Hi-Fi!

Gogs.
                    sigpic
                    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Thanks!

HomeSeer Page: http://wrb.tzo.com
                      Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
                      512 MB RAM PC2700
                      Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
                      ATTNV Crystal 16
                      Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
                      SECU-16I to be added for security system upgrade soon
                      mcs Temperature (Works great!)
                      ROC Outlook (Works great!)
                      Video / Captures with ConquerCam