How exactly do I Control a garage door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pacampora View Post
    by the way, there is no way to jump the pins with a screwdriver (traditional way) because there are no terminals like on the older units. I had to cut a short piece of wire and stick it in the two holes 3 and 4. you can see a picture in the attachment.
    Maybe my unit looks totally different that your unit.
    Yeah mine looks the same. I shorted it at the wall button, between the two screw terminals on the back.
    My model no. is 3062 which has Intellicode as well. Yours says Series 3, while mine doesn't say anything about what series it is. Like I said mine is about 3 years old.
    Checking the manual, page 4 does show two different types of wall console. Perhaps this is the difference between the 1200 and 1500. Mine looks to be the "type 1" (gray body, white buttons).

Interesting thing is that the two smaller buttons (lock & light) do communicate digitally. Some time ago I bookmaked this which discusses how this works, though for a different manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironzey View Post
      Ok, so after setting this up (Thanks again James) and using it for a while. I've come across an issue that is kind of a big deal.
      1. The Garage Door device works as expected.
      2. If the door gets opened or closed via other means (RF garage door opener or button on the wall) the icon on the Garage Door gets updated as one would expect.

The problem is when I activate the Garage Door device the status of the door gets instantly updated to the action that I just initiated. This is alright when going from closed to open but when going from open to closed it is possible to have conflicting door statuses. Like this:

Right now the door is partially open which should show on the Garage Door device as open but it doesn't.

Hi Ironzey,

Did you get this figured out? I'm having the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Duc998 View Post
        Hi Ironzey,

Did you get this figured out? I'm having the same issue.
        No, I haven't really figured this out. I only ever use the door when I can see it, or when I'm at the house. FWIW the scenario mentioned above hasn't happened (yet) so I've pretty much just left it as is.

Let me see if I can figure something out....

Comment

So I got the Linear GD00Z to work with my Genie Powermax 1500 Garage door opener.

Originally the GD00Z wouldn't work because the Genie controller is "needed" to trigger the door. The controller is more than just a Make/Break button.
          My fix was to take apart the wall mounted controller and trace the runs on the circuit board that go to the micro switch button that activates the door opener. Then I soldered two wires the back of the circuit board.
          the wires go to the connection on the GD00Z.

I figured worst case I break the wall mounted controller and has to replace it.
          But all went well. Try not to heat it up too much.

So essentially the signal from the GD00Z now shorts the physical button inside my wall mounted controller, and activates the door opener.

This was really an easy thing to do. Sorry no pictures, but if anyone really needs one, I can take one and send it.

Hope this helps someone with a Genie Opener.

Paul

Comment

Genie Powermax 1500 Garage Door Opener

To add to pacampora's post. I too had issues controlling a Genie 1500 opener by dry contact accross the BWC terminals. I took the "old" series II wall control and paralleled the PB by soldering my contact wires. From the pictures it appears there are some resisters that limit current/voltage to opener control.
            Attached Files

Comment

Cheery (or others). I dont have the option to "set device" as shown in your clean up rules. My garage doors work great, including status. Just need to add the cleanup events if they are manually activated (using ecolink tilt sensors). I am doing an "if Tilt sensor device value changes and becomes" on the virtual device, and THEN i want to set the value of the virtual device. I have the option to "control a device" but not set.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jordonmusser View Post
                Cheery (or others). I dont have the option to "set device" as shown in your clean up rules. My garage doors work great, including status. Just need to add the cleanup events if they are manually activated (using ecolink tilt sensors). I am doing an "if Tilt sensor device value changes and becomes" on the virtual device, and THEN i want to set the value of the virtual device. I have the option to "control a device" but not set.

Thanks!
                In the Status/Graphics tab, change the relevant line items from Status to Control or Both, depending on what you intend to do with them.
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Sparkman, Thank you. I thought I had done that but you are correct.. I had not.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.PNG
Views:	252
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	1276413 I made this change but I simply don't get the option to "set device" under Choose An Action, period.

Comment

Anybody? I don't have an option to manipulate the device status, only to control a device. Need this functionality to run the cleanup if the garage is open/closed outside of HS.

Comment

That looks like the tilt sensor, not the device that controls it. Can you post a screen shot of the device page showing the root device and all of the child devices for it?

Comment

Sparkman, that is correct. I am setting an event that if the tilt sensor changes status (open or closed) it sets the virtual device to the correct status. perhaps I am thinking through this wrong? I want to update the virtual device with the current status if it changes (due to manual open/close)

Comment

Ah ok. Do you have the "Status Only Device:" field un-checked under the Configuration tab of that device? If you do, can you post a screenshot of the device's Status Graphics tab?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	garage door.PNG
Views:	249
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	1282635 Sure, here ya go (it is unchecked).

Comment

Just wrote a DIY on Cocoontech to convert a new style digital Security 2.0+ button to analog by soldering leads to the button. Here rather than connect to the existing wall button purchased the tiny digital button and put it above the GDO. The button is very small and you solder directly on to the circuit board. I used 22/2 wire and a bit of flux paste and painters tape to hold the wires in place while I soldered them.

Concurrently testing a WiFi firmware updated combo GDO and door sensors and temperature sensor doowhat box. The WiFi box speaks MQTT and uses one up magnet and down magnet on the garage door for position and a toggling relay for the button and added one DS18B20 sensor to the concocation. It is configured in HS3 the same way as the Leviton Omni Pro wired sensors (two sensors plus button). NOTE that all of the new garage door openers use a digital signal on the two wires. You have to program the digital button first before soldering wires to the switch.

The digital button is around $10 on Amazon. (GDO has myQ stuff but it is all disconnected this time).

Note one configuration shows the HS3 variable with both control and status functions while the other shows only status functions. Before using same value for control or status you have to up the number say from zero to one. Make your changes then make it zero again.

There are three statuses based on two sensors. When both sensors are open then an intermediate status is enabled.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GDO.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	1282640

Note the above is just for the garage door sensing. There is also car presence detection via RFID per car to announce what car is coming or going or sitting.
                                - Pete

Auto mator
                                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                                X