Port number and security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port number and security

For years I've been using a non-standard port number for my remote access to HS.

I've recently purchased a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet with which I am very pleased.

However, when accessing HS remotely from the N800 using free WiFi (airport, library, etc) I can never log onto HS. I'm pretty sure that it's because the free WiFis are blocking many non-standard ports.

Question:

How dangerous is it to use the standard port 80 for HomeSeer? How open to being attacked am I likely to be?

What other ports besides port 80 are free WiFi spots likely to leave open that I could use in HS's web access instead of 80?

I wouldn't worry about port 80 but..

I wouldn't worry too much about using port 80. Many do and I've never heard of any HS machine being hacked.

But, if you are still worried, you can use a free service like "no-ip dot com" to create a port remap. Basically you can create a website like www.myHS.noip.com and it will do the remap of port 80 to your port in the background. Homeseer also has the service of myHomeseer Connect which will probably work out easiest.
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Working...
    X