Single Pole - Dual Dimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Pole - Dual Dimmer

Our contractor made a mistake and we ended up with two separate light circuits on a single pole dual switch (basically two small switches where usually one switch goes). The problem is that I need to be able to dim those lights independently and both of them are LED lights. I prefer Cooper Wiring switches but the only one I found that comes close is Lutron (Dual Digital Fade Dimmer). However, those are not rated for LEDs (just incandescent and fluro). Is there anything that can be controlled via HomeSeer, supports LED and can dim two circuits?

Originally posted by mulu View Post
    Our contractor made a mistake and we ended up with two separate light circuits on a single pole dual switch (basically two small switches where usually one switch goes). The problem is that I need to be able to dim those lights independently and both of them are LED lights. I prefer Cooper Wiring switches but the only one I found that comes close is Lutron (Dual Digital Fade Dimmer). However, those are not rated for LEDs (just incandescent and fluro). Is there anything that can be controlled via HomeSeer, supports LED and can dim two circuits?

Would it be possible to replace the single gang box with a double one? If it's sheetrock and there's space that should be a quick and simple solution. I did one of these at the weekend. It was a 'new work' box that was nailed to a stud. I used heavy pliers to twist/rip the box off the stud, then used a knife to enlarge the hole (you could do this first) then replaced it with an 'old work' double gang box. About 5 mins total.
    cheeryfool

Comment

I prefer cherryfools idea, but another option would be to place a micro dimmer in each fixture. the wall switch would have to be on/off since you can't have a dimmer behind a dimmer. you'd then control the fixture dimmers using homeseer giving you individual control.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Z-Wave.../dp/B00IRI1CEK
      HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
      Number of Devices: 1005
      Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Cheeryfool, that's a good point but that's actually exactly the problem I have. There are two studs that are too close to each other. Actually, I have already a double gang box, one has a dimmer for the inside light and the other a double switch for 4 + 1 independent outside lights which I want to keep independent. If there were enough space I would open it up for a 3 gang box.

jmaddox, I would prefer to have manual control over the dimming of the lights. However, for the outside lights it's not that important as I think most could be programmed through HS (day/night, motion, etc). So maybe I will take that route. That means I would have to buy a couple of those and then probably put them behind the on/off switch.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Cheeryfool, that's a good point but that's actually exactly the problem I have. There are two studs that are too close to each other. Actually, I have already a double gang box, one has a dimmer for the inside light and the other a double switch for 4 + 1 independent outside lights which I want to keep independent. If there were enough space I would open it up for a 3 gang box.

jmaddox, I would prefer to have manual control over the dimming of the lights. However, for the outside lights it's not that important as I think most could be programmed through HS (day/night, motion, etc). So maybe I will take that route. That means I would have to buy a couple of those and then probably put them behind the on/off switch.

Thanks for the input.

How about adding an extra single gang box above or below the double or the far side of one of those studs? I don't know if there's any reason precluding that except perhaps aesthetics.
          cheeryfool

Comment

Well, above I already have a security keypad (which I would like to replace later on with a panel that interacts with HS3 and also can arm/disarm the security system).

Right next to the switches is a wide double door (which is why there are two studs so close to each other). I really don't want to put a switch on the other side of that door which would require rewiring, would look aesthetically bad, and makes logically no sense (what are those switches for?).

Actually, I was thinking about this Aeotec device again. I don't think it will work out because there won't be enough space to put two of those into a double gang box. I could not put a box or put them outside the box. I am sure it would be fine with the appropriate precautions (use some liquid electrical tape and/or put them into some larger 'floating' plastic box but if anyhow possible I want to use some code compliant solution.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking about this Aeotec device again. I don't think it will work out because there won't be enough space to put two of those into a double gang box. I could not put a box or put them outside the box. I

Bear in mind that you may not have the deepest box available currently. Does it go all the way back to the inside of the Sheetrock behind it? If not replace it will an extra deep one. I've had to do that a few times. The other challenge with the micro dimmers is that the AC contacts are not very strong. I had one location with 12 gauge wire and it was a real struggle to get the connections to hold.
              cheeryfool

Comment

cherryfool, I know the boxes we have are deeper than in our old house. I am not sure if they go all the way back or not. The cables for lights are 14 AWG (for everything else 12 AWG). The bigger issue is that I have 4 lights connected to one switch. That might be a challenge. I will see what I can do.

Comment

Working...
                X