Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request: improve signal/noise strength test tools

Hi

I'm in the process of troubleshooting some "Too long wait for Answer to command..." issues, which is probably due to incorrect cabling/loose connectors/bad module; and I was testing the Signal and Noise strength tester in the PLCBUS tools plugin on my modules, one by one... and I thought it would be cool if it can be run automatically for all the addresses in a house code.

Maybe just add an 'ALL' option in the 1 to 16 drop down menu for the DeviceCode? So 1-16 + ALL at the very bottom?

Even better if we can run a per-HouseCode health-check by running both signal and noise test on each devices in a HouseCode and display the result in a table
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Did the result help you ?
    --
    stipus

Comment

Originally posted by stipus View Post
      Did the result help you ?
      I notice signal strength variance depending on location in the house, but it takes too long (and too many clicks) to test one by one. I think to have the plugin queues the commands and issues them one after the other would be faster and give a better snapshot of the powerline condition.
      HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

In my experience, the signal/noise strength never helped me with "too long wait for answer to command" issues.
        --
        stipus

Comment

In my experience, the signal/noise strength never helped me with "too long wait for answer to command" issues.
          Understood. I'm just tearing my hairs off trying to solve this issue. I'm sure none of the cables are reversed (live and neutral) since the node w/ reversed cabling wouldn't respond to commands at all, right? So it seems that maybe it's caused by a bad module or connection... before checking all 70+ modules one by one, it would be nice if I can shortlist the area of trouble and do the check/reconnection by priority.

Comment

No when live and neutral are reversed, the modules still react to commands, but have problems to reply (send ack, respond to house code polling), or create similar problems with other modules that are wired correctly.
            --
            stipus

Comment

No when live and neutral are reversed, the modules still react to commands, but have problems to reply (send ack, respond to house code polling), or create similar problems with other modules that are wired correctly.
              I will make a list of modules that doesn't respond to polls/strength status test.

The thing is that the wiring was done by a professional electrician, I don't think he would mistake basic red/black cabling (like I would!) but maybe something else is at play here...

Comment

I tried testing the addresses with different calls... here are my findings so far.

Total addresses: 74 (spread in 5 house codes)

Didn't respond to house code polling: 6 addresses

TIMES OUT when I checked for its strength: 12 addresses.

Interestingly, a few address that didn't respond to house code polling did respond to signal strength test.. . And some address that didn't respond to signal strength test, did respond to housecode polling.

How about scene programming? Can these modules with reversed wiring still be programmed with scenes too? (Albeit problemmatic)

Comment

Maybe i should reverse the plug of the 1141 interface, blast some housecode polls and see if any modules reply in that reversed condition.

Edit: Amazingly, with the 1141 plugged in reversed, I still found 2 modules trying to report its status back [UNKNOWN].
                  Last edited by LeoS; May 19, 2015, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X