Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!

Need help understanding all details to installing the a ad2usb with the hometroller zs2. want to control vista20p alarm system with my app.

Thanks,
    JR

I responded to your private msg first. please see my responses there. if you have additional questions, please reply here. the forum is easier to keep track of the thread.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by High Side Security View Post
      Need help understanding all details to installing the a ad2usb with the hometroller zs2. want to control vista20p alarm system with my app.

Thanks,
      JR
      Can you update your progress here?
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

FTDI Driver Issue for AD2USB

Trying to install the AD2USB on a HomeTroller Series 3 XP Professional, running HS2. I am not clear on which VCP drivers to install from the FTDI Drivers site, I did manage to install a windows driver that showed the AD2USB device under the COMs section in Device Manager - connected to COM9, it looked like it just needed a restart. After the restart of the computer, the AD2USB showed back up in the Device Manager under the USB devices with a little yellow triangle indicating it needed a driver. The folder where I downloaded the driver also disappeared.

Thoughts? Which driver is most appropriate? How to make the driver "stick" so that a restart will not eliminate the driver?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

you need to find the appropriate driver for your os on the ftdichip.com site

from this page

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

On the page that Mark posted, looks like on XP you should be running 2.08.24.

If problems persist, couple of suggestions

1) in device manager, reinstall the driver: highlight the device, right-click and select uninstall, then at top Action->Scan for hardware changes

2) If that doesn't help, try the FTDI driver removal tool http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Util...UI_Readme.html, then reinstall the 2.08.24 fresh.

The FTDI VCP drivers can be tricky; they have two parts, a "USB" layer and a "serial" layer. Once when I was setting up a new computer, Windows update managed to get out of sync versions of these which resulted in blue screens whenever I installed an FTDI device. Eventually I found the removal tool which cleaned it right up.

Comment

Installed FTDI driver - however it resets on reboot

May 27th, 2016 12:13 AM
              zwolfpack On the page that Mark posted, looks like on XP you should be running 2.08.24.

If problems persist, couple of suggestions

1) in device manager, reinstall the driver: highlight the device, right-click and select uninstall, then at top Action->Scan for hardware changes

2) If that doesn't help, try the FTDI driver removal tool http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Util...UI_Readme.html, then reinstall the 2.08.24 fresh.

The FTDI VCP drivers can be tricky; they have two parts, a "USB" layer and a "serial" layer. Once when I was setting up a new computer, Windows update managed to get out of sync versions of these which resulted in blue screens whenever I installed an FTDI device. Eventually I found the removal tool which cleaned it right up.
              May 26th, 2016 09:10 PM
              mnsandler you need to find the appropriate driver for your os on the ftdichip.com site

from this page

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

--------------------------
              Thank you both for the details on getting the correct driver. Actually, I did have to use the uninstaller and then I had to reinstall the correct driver you identified for my scenario. I just wasn't diligent enough to scroll down on the page of drivers to find the XP drivers I needed and previously I had installed the wrong windows driver.

So, I install the correct drivers, the system says I need to reboot, when I reboot, the device manager shows as if no drivers were installed. What am I doing wrong? Does the system somehow eliminate any changes I make to keep the system "pristine?" Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hmmm that is strange.
                In device manager, right click on the device, select properties, select driver tab, then driver details. On Win7 (Hometroller S6) it shows four files, see attachment. This is the "serial layer" driver. Next, in device manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers and locate entry "USB Serial Converter". This is the "USB layer". Do the same steps to display the driver details.

Are you running antivirus/antispyware of any kind? That shouldn't affect it, but stranger things have happened.

I just noticed on the FTDI download page that over to the right they have a setup executable http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20824_Setup.exe
                If you didn't use that try it. The executable is what I have used in the past with success.

We have a few dinosaur XP boxes at work. I recently installed a device on one that needed the FTDI drivers. Tomorrow I'll see if I can recreate what worked there.
                Attached Files

Comment

I checked the XP machine - the driver details on XP look similar to the Win7 ones I posted, except on XP only the *.sys (not the *.dll) files are shown. The *.sys filenames are the same for both.

Interesting thing is, the FTDI driver version on that box is 2.12.00, which corresponds to the "latest and greatest" version back when I downloaded the EXE installer about a year ago (installer filename "CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified.exe"). This was used to install on Win7 machines. The point is that this newer version apparently works on XP as well. So the issue you are having seems to run deeper than a version mismatch, since you had a problem with the latest 2.12 as well as 2.08.

If you haven't done so, try the EXE installer.

Comment

Drivers revert on restart

zwolfpack,

Very strange, the .exe didn't seem to work. Well, here is what I did. I just launched the .exe but it didn't change the outcome. Then I uninstalled the device, then searched for new hardware. Pointed to the new drivers (finding the drivers automatically didn't work), but I pointed to the same drivers as I had before (not necessarily to the .exe file - that clearly wouldn't work). Anyway, after point the device to drivers (one for serial and once for USB) the device seems to work and I can use Putty to connect to my alarm panel, enter alarm panel commands as if I'm in front of an alarm panel. However, on a reboot, the device falls back where it requires drivers.

I didn't try to uninstall drivers first using the CDM uninstall tool, then use the .exe (as you suggested), then allow it to find the drivers automatically? Thoughts? What causes installed drivers to get wiped out on a reboot?

Comment

The EXE installer doesn't install the device driver directly; the way it's supposed to work is that the installer figures out the correct drivers and puts them in the Windows driver repository. Then when you plug in the device (ad2usb in this case), Windows finds and installs the correct driver. On XP I believe it launches that annoying wizard, which asks if it can connect to the internet and find a driver (you should answer no, since you've just installed the best driver with the installer).

So when this problem occurs, what do you see in the device manager? You said it displays those little warning triangles, so there should be a message of some sort explaining the error? Since its Microsoft, the message often is of questionable value, but its a start. Also, what do the driver details panes that I described earlier show?

And are you running any security software? Like I said earlier, a virus scanner shouldn't mess up your drivers, but something is messing with them!

Comment

Drivers reverting

Sorry for the late reply, I was hoping to spend a little time this weekend but was unable to.

I am not running any security software, just the Hometroller S3 out of the box. I will get the specifics from device manager and respond back.

However, I have an interest in moving to HS3, I've learned that the folks at Homeseer are suggesting I move to a new Hometroller model to support HS3. I thought I would try to upgrade my HomeTroller S3 first, I just bought the OS upgrade needed first (http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...its-P1596.aspx) then I'll upgrade the flashdrive to SSD for HS3.

However, I will first try again the steps you suggested. If that does not work, then upgrade the OS and then re-try your steps. Hopefully the drivers will "stick" and I am all set. I'll test out the system with HS2 for a bit. Then migrate to HS3 as time permits.

I'll respond back with the Device Manager messages and keep you posted. I REALLY appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X