Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEL Pro vs S6 Pro vs HS3 Pro on separate PC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEL Pro vs S6 Pro vs HS3 Pro on separate PC.

I was wondering if you guys could help me decide between the SEL Pro, the S6 Pro and HS3 on a dedicated mini pc. I have been playing with HA for about 6 months. I equipped a few rooms with HomeSeer switches and dimmers and am using Vera. With the current HS sale its time to switch. At the end of the day I will probably have a modest setup that is made up of lighting, locks, garage doors, a few sensors and maybe some cameras. I can imagine 50 or 60 devices. Not having played with HS I'm not sure how many scenes I will end up with. My original thought was to go with HS3 Pro on a dedicated mini pc. The cost between this and the SEL will be about the same. I assume the SEL will be a bit more relatable but HS3 on a dedicated pc will be more flexible. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Here over the years have used HS Pro on a dedicated DIY built piece of hardware.

Today HS3 Pro is running on an iSeries PC with 16 Gb of memory in Ubuntu with an a la carte side(s) of Wintel.

The computer is running both Linux and Wintel for Homeseer 3 and does just fine.

I like to tinker with hardware and keep my 3(4) NAS, 1(3) CCTV, TV DVR (2), Security(1) on separate hardware.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete! How much storage do you think I need to run HS3? Will an embedded Win10 mini with 32 gb be sufficient? Some of these little boxes are dirt cheap.

Comment

HS3 Lite (Zee) was originally running on an 8Gb SD card, then a 16Gb SD card. Today it is running on a 32Gb SSD card.

HS3 Pro is running on an iSeries CPU and 120 Gb .m2 SSD card (size of my thumb) and it is sitting at around 70Gb of use today. Default VB's use up around 20Gb each and have three set up today.

I play with another mini PC (dirt cheap Bay Intel Baytrail buy) which has Windows 10 running on a 32Gb internal MMC and does fine today. Base OS is only MMC and external SD with no other options. Today this is my test Homeseer touch PC connected to a 17" multitouch screen / Kinect. It can do HSTouch and Kodi at the same time (live TV and automation console).

New Zee PC has 2Gb internal RAM and running on a standard 32Gb SSD.

Over time the Homeseer directory can get a bit large (backups, old versions from updating et al).

32 Gb is OK to start. Later on you may want to upgrade. Look to make sure you can.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm pretty much all Apple these days so it would be ideal if I could run Touch on the same box as HS3. How does this one look? I can add a cheap SSD and I'm still under $300 for a pretty capable little machine. Overkill?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...09&ignorebbr=1

Comment

Nice machine.

The more RAM the better you are set. This is always true whatever CPU you are using.
            On one comment someone upped the single stick memory to 8Gb for $43.99 more.

You could always add the memory later testing first with the 2Gb of RAM.

I have 2 Gb on a test HS Touch Baytrail machine with does good for running Homeseer Touch or HS3 but not sure how well it would do both.

My current Xi5A (for HS lite) uses a dual core AMD Athion with 2Gb of RAM running Ubuntu 64 bit server.

The multitouch monitor I purchased is just an openframe monitor with a DIN mount which I temporarily put on a stand but made for almost flush mounting on a wall. It is very thin and has a small section in the back for connections (and a small hole in a wall). I have made a nice looking and thin wood frame for last endeavor and it was just Velcro to the monitor edges. You could also leave it on the wall and remote to it for managment. I attached a wireless keyboard dongle to mine. It did include wireless combo bluetooth and a NIC port.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
            X