Whole Home Audio Solution Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Home Audio Solution Needed

Currently building a house with a track builder. Decided on installing (myself) Homeseer. The builder will be installing a Leviton Omni alarm system. I've requested a s*it load of prewiring. Looking at the Whole Home Audio distribution:

7 Zones:
    Living Room - wired for 5.1 surround (in wall)
    Master Bedroom - wired for 5.1 surround (in wall)
    Home Theatre - wired for 10.1 surround (in wall / ceiling)
    Kitchen - 2 ceiling speakers
    Dining Room - 2 ceiling speakers
    Game Room - 2 ceiling speakers
    Patio- 2 Ceiling Speakers

I'm guessing there will be 5 - 6 sources.

My question is - which system will let me utilize my surround speaker setups? I don't want to have to have dedicate speakers just for the distributed audio. I'm currently considering the Denon HEOS AVRs.

I'm not really sure how to handle paging (from an Intercom system) or Homeseer / alarm announcements? I'm planning on using HSTouch - so I guess HomeSeer could use the tablets?

I did something similar with a custom new home build in the late 1990's.

The include was alarm panel wiring. I did modify it as the builder / alarm company wanted to home run the alarm panel wires to one of two master bedroom walk in closets. I moved the wiring to a new centrally located wiring closet. Rather than go with the offered by alarm company panel went to DIYing my OmniPro 2 panel as it was levels above anything offered by the alarm company at the time. (basically the GC was clueless though relating to low voltage wiring).

Note here since the HS1 days Homeseer have never really managed my multimedia (IR, distribution, media, et al) or security I preferred always to a la carte that and have Homeseer only watch it.

Originally also configured the telco with Cat5x home run to same closet (telco guy was daisy chaining it). I had him redo that (well I happen to be there and had it rerun it all). Concurrently asked the builder for 3-4 days such that I could do the rest of the low voltage cabling / wiring such that I ran extra cat5e and speaker cables and RG6 to the wiring closet. Note I did this as I learned from work about this: logistics, banking and Aerospace in the 1990s switching over from using token ring and twinax stuff and ethernet coax. I have tested here line level catXX baluns to work fine but never tried digital audio using baluns. What works fine for me today is using Kodi boxes as STBs and local digital audio / Squeezeplayers as local digital audio distribution rather than distribution of HDMI...that is me though.

Only configured one room for 5.1 and an AVR. Rest of the rooms were just 2 speakers and wired in a cat5e cable for speaker control wherever there were speakers.

Newer home wired for distributed audio initially using the Leviton Chopin stuff then upgraded that to Russound. For AVR's just did a local / remote configuration with an AB switch for local 5.1 / AVR and remote stereo from Russound.

Today for Homeseer audio use Microsoft SAPI / remote and local clients. Local clients talk to Russound system. Remote clients run on Wintel Homeseer touch clients.

I am guessing today you could go with distributed coaxial for digital sound.
    Last edited by Pete; March 21, 2018, 04:55 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
    X