Door lock recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock recommendations

We are finally thinking of biting the bullet and adding Z-Wave door lock(s). We have typical doors with a locking knob and separate deadbolt. We will be going with 2 piece sets with a Z-Wave deadbolt and non locking latch underneath. I am leaning toward Schlage, but also considering Kwickset. I am looking for recommendations.

What is battery life like?
    Is there one that interfaces with HS better than others?
    Obviously we want to trigger events with the functions of the lock and be able to control the lock with HS actions. We would also like to be able to easily add and remove codes for temporary use.

I am open to suggestions. We will put 1 in first and eventually add 2 more.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

My mother has a few of the Schlage deadbolts. They work fine. I have the Schlage lever and I like it a lot. It works fine. I think I have to change the batteries about twice a year. I'm sure it's more with a deadbolt as it has to physically throw the bolt. The touchscreen seems a little flimsy to me but keep in mind that I would drive a tank if allowed. They're probably all about the same really. I suggest you get the one your wife like the looks of most. Schlage does make a nice deadbolt and thumb lever set.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

My only suggestion would be to think seriously whether you want motorized deadbolts or manual cam. My personal preference is the motorized version as you can then actually fully unlock the door remotely, and perhaps more importantly, lock it remotely. The non-motorized ones engage the cam for a few seconds but you have to turn the cam manually, during that time - precluding the option of remotely locking the door.
      cheeryfool

Comment

I have two Kwikset deadbolt locks at my house that I really like. I had one Schlage at one of my tower sites. In my opinion, the Kwikset has better reporting of events and is more flexible. The Kwikset locks are temperamental about the Zwave network. I assume that because of the security features, the packets are large and occasionally there are failed communications when unlocking or locking a door. I actually created a "retry" event using BLLog monitor if I had a failure. The Schlage locks are built well but I did not like the lock features. I have to change 4 AA batteries in each lock about twice a year.

Bob

Comment

Looks like most of the deadbolts are motorized now - only some were when I bought mine 6 years ago.
          cheeryfool

Comment

I wish someone would upgrade the Zwave interfaces to Gen5. I have been waiting to upgrade the Zwave boards in my locks, but no luck. I would think that someone would come out with a current door lock.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              We will be going with 2 piece sets with a Z-Wave deadbolt and non locking latch underneath.
              The front door on our house has a non locking latch. The only way to lock it is the deadbolt. I was looking for a matching z-wave deadbolt and went with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-FE469...dp/B00D1M632S/

I purchased it in early May and have not had to change the batteries yet.
              I like that it has a tamper mode which will cause the lock to sound a loud alarm based on the setting.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone
              My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
              Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
                  I have two Kwikset deadbolt locks at my house that I really like. I had one Schlage at one of my tower sites. In my opinion, the Kwikset has better reporting of events and is more flexible. The Kwikset locks are temperamental about the Zwave network. I assume that because of the security features, the packets are large and occasionally there are failed communications when unlocking or locking a door. I actually created a "retry" event using BLLog monitor if I had a failure. The Schlage locks are built well but I did not like the lock features. I have to change 4 AA batteries in each lock about twice a year.

Bob

Comment

Michael

Comment

Randy,

From what I remember of the Schlage lock, it was limited in the way it reported access events. I think it reported unlocked by user but not what user. I just remember that I was disappointed at the way the lock reported events. It could have been my setup but I was unable to get the same functionality as the Kwikset locks. See my locks screenshot below.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Randy,

From what I remember of the Schlage lock, it was limited in the way it reported access events. I think it reported unlocked by user but not what user. I just remember that I was disappointed at the way the lock reported events. It could have been my setup but I was unable to get the same functionality as the Kwikset locks. See my locks screenshot below.
                        Thank you. That would make my decision easier as I would prefer to have those details.

Comment

Randy,

I found one ZWave Plus deadbolt that is now available. It is a Yale lock and I am not sure if HS fully supports this lock. I have noticed that the HS Store now only lists Schlage locks.

http://www.z-wave.com/shop-z-wave-sm...smart-deadbolt

Bob

Comment

Randy,

I found one ZWave Plus deadbolt that is now available. It is a Yale lock and I am not sure if HS fully supports this lock. I have noticed that the HS Store now only lists Schlage locks.

http://www.z-wave.com/shop-z-wave-sm...smart-deadbolt

Bob
                            Interesting. Z-Wave plus might make it more reliable on communication, but that is not a given. It would be nice to hear from someone who has experience with one. I would also need to find a matching handleset.

I feel like $300 is a bit much for these devices. The same deadbolt and handleset without the motor and keypad is $70-100. I wonder if the price will move as they become more popular.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              Thank you. That would make my decision easier as I would prefer to have those details.
                              Schlage reports which user.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X