Problem with JowiHue Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with JowiHue Devices

Setup my HS3 server for the first time this weekend. I can control my Z-wave based devices from the desktop website, hstouch, and alexa just fine. However, the devices (Philips Hue) that were created by the JowiHue plugin can only be controlled from the desktop website (where everything seems perfect). The devices cannot be controlled from hstouch (they do display in hstouch but do nothing when clicked), nor will they be discovered by Alexa.

Seems very strange... any idea what could be going on here?

Thanks!

Hi,

Here the devices are controllable with HSTouch, on/off devices as well as the dim values and saturation values. Hue values are a bit hard to control due to the amount of possible values?

As far as Alexa is concerned, I cannot help you as alexa is still not for the Dutch here.
    There are settings in the configuration page (set dimming values to %, Enabling can dim etc) that should make controllong with Alexa easier, but never could test it here.

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thanks Wim,

Perhaps what I am doing are not best practices for JowiHue and Homeseer, not sure. I'll explain my process and maybe that will give some insight.

I created groups in the Hue app/bridge that would group my bulbs together. A lot of my Hue bulbs are part of a multi-bulb light fixture.

For example, I have a ceiling fan which contains 3 bulbs. I grouped these 3 bulbs into a single "room" group in the Hue app/bridge so that they would all turn on at once and I could avoid the "popcorn effect" of the bulb turning on in sequence.

I then connected the bridge to Homeseer via your plugin. I hid the individual bulbs in Homeseer and only exposed the group I created of the 3 bulbs. Controlling this group works great from the web interface, the bulbs all turn on at once and I can adjust the CT/hue/sat all at once. I can also control everything great from HSBuddy and Imperihome.

However, when I try to control it in HSTouch, nothing happens. I see the light in HSTouch along with the CT/hue/sat. When I select any of these things in HSTouch, nothing happens.

Also, when I "discover devices" with Alexa, none of these groups show up. I also have some singular Hue devices that are not grouped, none of the JowiHue devices get discovered by Alexa at all. I know the connection is working because all of my Zwave devices show up fine.

Are there better methodologies to group bulbs together with JH and HS?

Does anyone else have any JowiHue devices working with Alexa?

This is very depressing as I have almost 100 Hue bulbs on 2 bridges and Alexa is my primary control method. Right now, I am on a trial of Homeseer (moving over from SmartThings)... and might have to explore other controller options if I cannot find a way. Sad, because I just ordered myself a Raspbee as well.

Comment

Comment

Wim, I did find out that color changing is not possible. Is this a bug with the hue groups?

The lights show up now when the voice control box is checked and I rediscover devices with Alexa. Power and dimming work. I tried every command I could think of to get them to change color. No go.

I then checked the Alexa app and inside of the light properties it says:

Color capabilities: None

I think this may be due to how I am grouping the bulb together. Did you enable the color command for hue groups along with the individual lights or is there some other checkbox I need to check in HS to enable the color capabilities?

Thanks!!

Comment

Comment

The documentation on voice control is maybe missing for HS3 as it is still in beta really I think. Maybe you should contact HST for that or ask the helpdesk,
              Also the color control is in the beta version of HS3 as far I know. Which version of HS are you running?

The plugin checks on the version of HS3 and should enable the color control options when the correct version is running. If you upgrade HS3, you need to refresh the device values I believe to enable the voice control per device. But again, I am not using Alexa here, so never could test if color control is working. I belive others have it working with the beta of HS.

Wiun
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Comment

Comment

This version should have the color control. Did you try going to the properties of the device/Jowihue tab? You need to press the refesh device values on the main device. Then on the graphics tab of the Hue device you should see the control use of color...

Wim
                    Attached Files
                    -- Wim

Comment

Thanks, I removed the devices from Alexa, rebuilt the device values as you suggested, and then rediscovered. Alexa still shows the lights as "Color Capabilities: None".

Is there somewhere I can check to see if it is reporting the correct capabilities to Alexa?

Comment

You can check on the Hue device if the settings are correct, on the graphics tab. On the slider part the control use should be set to "Color". I know the beta of HS did not have this implemented correctly yet, so it is worth checking if it is available now (I do not have the beta running and cannot test it yet here).

If it is not set to "Color", can you then select "color" from the list? If you can, set it and let alexa rediscover only this device again to see if this works.
                        If "Color" is not available still, you should report this in the beta thread of HS3, as this has to be solved in HS then first before we can test further.

Wim
                        -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                        X