Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB to Serial converters that WORK with W800 ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB to Serial converters that WORK with W800 ??

Greetings All !

With the coming of the holiday season, I think I've discovered a problem with my HS system... a problem that may have been there since I had the HS PC die this last summer and had to replace it.

I replaced it with one of those rather tiny PCs that doesn't have any actual COM Ports. Instead, I used two rather generic USB-to-Serial port convertors.

Everything worked fine until I went to use my remote on our Christmas lights, which I rigged up using last year's house codes and unit codes. I discovered that my W800 only "clearly" receives house codes 1-4 and 8-12. For all others, it gives that standard message that says the data it received is not "actionable".

After searching here, I've found several posts with the EXACT same issue. And the root cause apparently has always been the use of USB-to-Serial convertors.... usually fixed by switching instead to using onboard com ports.

Well, I don't have that luxury.

So, I saw references to Edgeport and Rockport USB-to-Serial converters working. But a quick check of Amazon shows me some pretty high prices ($70?) on those... making me wonder if I'm looking at older models or something?

Can anybody recommend an affordable USB-to-Serial convertor that is known to work with the W800's ?

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

I've had very good results with the TrendNet TU-S9 and my W800. This one looks different (white instead of blue) from what I have, but claims to be equivalent - probably has current drivers too. I just download the latest drivers when I need them and my old adapters just keep going.

For demanding situations, the Keyspan unit is a good choice, but it's more expensive.

You can also look for Edgeport adpaters on Ebay. If you find a 8 port unit for a reasonable cost, I'd recommend you consider it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGI-5000131...item20ea8ce9f8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digi-Edgepor...item4178d89171
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Well, I had gotten a bit overly-excited when I read Uncle Michael's reply... and, being a bit short on time and anxious for a solution, I ordered one of those TU-S9's. Got it today. Went to install it and its drivers and suddenly realized: I'm already using two of those!

LOL!

I went ahead and swapped it out with the one tied to my W800 anyways. No change in behavior. <sigh>

Comment

Did you ever get this problem resolved?

Terry

Comment

No, I didn't.

I ended up buying a Zwave USB stick controller and a couple of Zwave lamp modules... to handle my lights. But my whole-house music system is still basically unusable / can't be controlled by remote. I COULD probably take some time and some more money and move more lamp modules over to Zwave... then move the music controls over to the house codes that are still operational over X10. But, to be honest, I just said "to hell with it"... for now.

Comment

Finally solved

For those who may scour these threads later: I just now resolved my issue. I replaced those serial-to-USB converters with a $20 used 2 port digiboard off of eBay.

And now when my x10 remotes send house codes in the ranges that were previously failing...those codes are now being understood.

So, root cause was indeed the serial-to-USB converters. (I'd read a post here where one person said he'd had to try 4 different sets of drivers with those Trendnet converters before he found one that fully worked. But he never posted which set or where he had gotten them.)

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Comment

+1 for Digi AnywhereUSB..

I'm using 3 of those w/ 3 RFXtrx, 2 UZB and 2 XAP800 (connected through Edgeport).

Edit: All purchased secondhand on Ebay btw.
              Last edited by LeoS; October 6, 2015, 06:13 AM.
              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

I've been using an Edgeport8 for many years with my W800's and Ti103 and not a single hiccup. I purchased mine on Ebay for $20ea, but unfortunately it looks like sellers have figured out that they are actually useful and have responded in kind. I did see a unit for $47 without a case...
                Best regards,
                -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Well this thread helped me out today. I'm getting a customers system set back up and we tried a Trendnet USB to Serial adapter with the W800 and it was a no go. Dug through my box of junk and found a EdgePort 8. Plugged it in and loaded the drivers and the W800 works great. Thanks for this information.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                  X