No announcement yet.

Half of z-wave devices disconnected / unreachable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So after more troubleshooting including starting over on the z-net, I think my device might be bad, I can talk to devices that are close but as soon as you get out of the direct contact it doesn't work. Programmed a plug-in outlet near the z-net and got it to connect, moved it to it's resting place, can't connect, moved it back and it connected right away.

It is almost like it can't route through other devices which doesn't make sense as I only have powerline devices installed so they should be meshing and extending. Is there a setting that forces direct communication over using neighbors?

Comment

Well you could be on to something and if you have HS Pro and Z-seer you can see the routes and modify them. Or you can purchase z-seer separate if you don't have HSPRO.

Having said that though that is very similar to what I saw when I had a bad device. I couldn't include/exclude or access/control devices when they were somewhat close to the device that was causing the problem, but if I would move them closer to the controller I could include/remove and control them better.

If you have a way to flip a few breakers/fuses and just see if you can talk to devices that you couldn't before one at a time you can be for sure.

Do you have many plug-in zwave devices as opposed to hardwire? In my case every failed z-wave device or "babbling" device I have had was plug-in and not hardwired.

Good luck,
      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cerjzc View Post
        Well you could be on to something and if you have HS Pro and Z-seer you can see the routes and modify them. Or you can purchase z-seer separate if you don't have HSPRO.

Having said that though that is very similar to what I saw when I had a bad device. I couldn't include/exclude or access/control devices when they were somewhat close to the device that was causing the problem, but if I would move them closer to the controller I could include/remove and control them better.

If you have a way to flip a few breakers/fuses and just see if you can talk to devices that you couldn't before one at a time you can be for sure.

Do you have many plug-in zwave devices as opposed to hardwire? In my case every failed z-wave device or "babbling" device I have had was plug-in and not hardwired.

Good luck,
        Jeff
        Jeff, thanks for continuing to follow along and share your experience, it is appreciated.

I do have z-seer which was a bit challenging to work with this morning when it couldn't talk to the nodes. but since I seem to have isolated it to one end of the house it might be easier to take stuff offline. I had pulled the air gap on all of the switches earlier and unplugged the one plug I have at that end with no improvement. I forgot though, about the garage door operators, those might be the culprits.

More testing to come. It would be nice if thee HS3 logs were blowing up with something but nada.

Comment

I think I finally found the culprit or culprits... Unplugged the go control Garage Door controller and bam, able to start adding and communicating with devices... unfortunately I cleared out the z-net in the process of troubleshooting so now we get to remove and include all of the devices again and then clean up the events... so much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
            I think I finally found the culprit or culprits... Unplugged the go control Garage Door controller and bam, able to start adding and communicating with devices... unfortunately I cleared out the z-net in the process of troubleshooting so now we get to remove and include all of the devices again and then clean up the events... so much fun.
            You should have a backup of the Z-Wave data so just restore it and the Z-Net should be good to go. I've had to do that more than once.
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
            Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
            4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
            3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
            SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
              You should have a backup of the Z-Wave data so just restore it and the Z-Net should be good to go. I've had to do that more than once.
              Can you use the back up if you erased the interface and assigned a new network number? I thought once you did that the back up was a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
                Can you use the back up if you erased the interface and assigned a new network number? I thought once you did that the back up was a no go.
                I've restored many times but always with the same network number. It this case you may have to restore you're entire database which is likely better than rebuilding. If the network ID has been changed in all the nodes then I think you may be in trouble.

Others here will know better than me when it comes to that.
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Removing devices

I had an issue with my Hometroller SEL HS3 Pro in regards to network connectivity and forced me to redo my system. My problem that after excluding all of my devices they still show up in the device list and I am not sure how to get them off. My plan was to restore the box to factory defaults and start over now that I had all my devices removed.

Two questions....
                  1. How do I remove fully the devices that are still showing up. I still have a motion sensor that will not exclude no matter how many times I exclude it. And I have several other device that just say "Sigma Switch" etc...

2. I don't have Z-Seer but I was reading that it is free with HomeSeer HS3Pro. Where can I download it from?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by willyv1004 View Post
                    I had an issue with my Hometroller SEL HS3 Pro in regards to network connectivity and forced me to redo my system. My problem that after excluding all of my devices they still show up in the device list and I am not sure how to get them off. My plan was to restore the box to factory defaults and start over now that I had all my devices removed.

Two questions....
                    1. How do I remove fully the devices that are still showing up. I still have a motion sensor that will not exclude no matter how many times I exclude it. And I have several other device that just say "Sigma Switch" etc...

2. I don't have Z-Seer but I was reading that it is free with HomeSeer HS3Pro. Where can I download it from?

Thanks
                    What steps are you taking to try and exclude? Are you doing it via the zwave plug in and the actual sensor or trying to delete from the device list?

Comment

Using the Z-Net controller to exclude the device. after many hours of trying i finally figured out if i rescan the device first then do the exclusion it would work. If i just tried to exclude it it would fail. did this about 100 times but its done now...

Comment

Using the Z-Net controller to exclude the device. after many hours of trying i finally figured out if i rescan the device first then do the exclusion it would work. If i just tried to exclude it it would fail. did this about 100 times but its done now...
                        Interesting, glad it worked out and I will half to lock this little nugget away next time I am having trouble with a device.

Comment

https://homeseer.com/current-downloads/ under "Utilities" (mid-right)

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                            https://homeseer.com/current-downloads/ under "Utilities" (mid-right)
                            Thanks. Found it right away

Comment

was there any resolution?

Comment

Working...
                              X