This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling a Large Load with Z-Wave

Until recently, the only solution for controlling large loads via Z-Wave was to use an InTouch CA3750 30-amp Z-Wave contactor module. However, that product was discontinued last year and is no longer available from Intermatic.

This week, we became aware of the new (well, almost new) Elk 9200. Like the CA3750, this unit is also a contactor module but... the relay is rated up to 60 amps and it can be controlled any Z-Wave* appliance module.

Cool! So, just add one of these, tack on a Z-Wave appliance module and you'll be able to control anything up to 60 amps for less than the cost of the CA3750.

*or X10, UPB, Insteon
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Mark,

Thanks for the tip, but what was nice about the Intermatic device was that it was usable in wet area's (ie. Pool Pumps).

Comment

Originally posted by jpape View Post
      Mark,

Thanks for the tip, but what was nice about the Intermatic device was that it was usable in wet area's (ie. Pool Pumps).
      Maybe I don't understand the problem, but isn't this why the good lord invented waterproof enclosures? Just get a can and stick the thing in there.

Comment

While that would work, I'm just pointing out that it's not a "clean" as the Intermatic solution. Plus with the use of an Appliance module, you will also need a weather proof outlet box that will hold the module.

It can be done, just takes some work

Comment

Originally posted by jpape View Post
          While that would work, I'm just pointing out that it's not a "clean" as the Intermatic solution. Plus with the use of an Appliance module, you will also need a weather proof outlet box that will hold the module.

It can be done, just takes some work
          Agreed. However, the Elk solution is a good alternative until another 'cleaner' solution pops up.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

This is a great option. I would say, though, that most areas where this is going to be used would have GFCI outlets, which it indicates are not recommended.

On a separate note, could you skip the appliance module and just replace the receptacle itself with a zwave receptacle?

Comment

I'm thinking that note is generic and intended for powerline operated modules, not a ZWave or other RF operated module. Maybe testing could be done to see why a GFCI outlet sucks up the RF data as I bet plenty of us use those outlets (especially for outdoor appliance modules).
              huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

ca3750

i need some diagram (like above) to how connect the ca3750 in my water heater, because i dont understand the owner manual. i want to know where i suppost to connect the cable, in what numbers. i have black, red and green cables comes from my breaker.

Comment

How is you hot water heater currently wired? The CA3750 module needs to be wired between the circuit breaker and the hot water. Do you have a meter and a greenlee pen to check power? Always turn breaker off when working/wiring a device. If you are not comfortable with electricity please hire a professional electrician.

Comment

I use the Elk9200 and an X-10 appliance module to control my 1hp/240v pool pump. I liked the Elk9200 as a solution because despite my control protocol, it gives flexibility. Should/when I go to Z-wave, I've protected my investment.
                    BTW the input current to control the relay is in the milli-amp range, so you don't need a high current device to control the Elk9200.

Rob
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Having issues with this device

I recently had the Elk9200 installed along with a LPM-15 appliance module. I cannot get this to include into my network. Any help would be appreciated. I believe I have followed the include instructions but have had no luck.

Comment

A $15 contactor and $22 box, plus about $3 worth of wire for $80! And it isn't even waterproof?

I don't think so, Tim!
                        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                        Home Assistant 2024.3
                        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Working...
                        X