OpenSprinkler open source sprinkler controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    The endeavor / installation of the sprinkler tubing and heads really isn't a DIY. One of the neighbors got a deal here and had to redo all of his system including the sprinkler lines cuz they were installed too close to the surface.
    Thanks Pete

Knowing nothing about it, but being adventurous, what's so difficult about the pipe install?

FYI, my lot is pretty small (about 50 x 125). Front yard is about 25x30 and I'd like a few that spray acroos the pavement to the grass on other side. Pavement is 4ft wide and that area of grass is about 6ft wide.

I'm going to be trenching all way down back of house (renting machine) to bury sump pump pipe and piping from downspouts.

I figured a single pipe in middle of yard may do it (but haven't researched it yet). What's the typical spread of a sprinkler head (assuming "average" water pressure)?

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
      What's the typical spread of a sprinkler head (assuming "average" water pressure)?
      There are lots of different options, and different types of heads for different applications. For larger areas there are rotor heads, and most of those can be set to cover any angle you want. There are also spray heads, which can also usually be set to cover various angles. I'd recommend that you spend some time at Home Depot or Lowes studying what's available and talking with some folks there. Then map out your yard on graph paper and see which combos will work best for you. Idea is to get the best coverage with minimal overlap and minimal overspray of sidewalks, driveway, street, etc.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I haven't gone this far yet but the method I've read about suggests putting cups out in the sprinkling area to measure the amount of what you're actually applying. If part of the zone is in the sun and part in the shade, adjust the coverage and nozzle to increase in some areas, decrease in other areas or keep it even.

It's even suggested that you determine the zone cycle time by measuring how deep the water gets on the roots after x minutes. Take a spade to the area as you go and see how deep the water is at. If its too much, back off a minute.. not deep enough, add a minute. The idea is you want exactly enough water, but no more.

I did a lot of seeding this year and didn't have cool or wet enough spring to try the above method out. I've been covering the new grass for a few minutes 3 times a day until it gets established. Maybe in a few weeks I will try it.
        Paul

Comment

Maybe Michael McSharry can chime in as the resident expert here. At least for my lawn I've had someone come out and tune my system for coverage. I have a half acre lot, so I have to run each zone about an hour to achieve 1 inch coverage. I use that as a guideline and then let mcsSprinklers adjust the time down if there is already moisture in the soil based on calculations.
          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I watched as they installed the tubing. It was a machine which they set the depth and feed the tubing. Probably not that difficult. As stated though its placement and head coverage. I do not have self emptying heads here so I used compressed air to blow out the lines in the fall before winter, remove the mandated RPZ valve and shut off the main sprinkler water line. Its a bit time consuming. I utilize the W800 to manually turn on each zone while I clear the lines. Also use it to test the lines every spring. Our old sprinkler company used to charge around $50 to turn it on and inspect the RPZ valve and $50 to shut it down and blow out the lines.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Mark, did my neighbors sprinkler system several years ago and was pretty easy. A must is to rent an automatic pipe trencher. It will put the pipe about 12 inches under the ground and all that is shown on the grass is a small cut where the pipe goes in. I did a yard that was 100 feet by 125 feet in less that 3 hours. The best part of the machine is that it will go underneath a sidewalk fairly easily. It is a good weekend project for 2 people. Good luck! If you need locations to buy sprinkler supplies in the Chicago area, just ask and I will give you some names.

Steve

Comment

Just wondering if you would be able to post a link to the OpenSprinklers plugin, I would be keen to give it a go having just got an OpenSprinkler
                HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Working...
                X