Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Home Audio Physical Controls

I'm considering changing my home audio. This is what I have

Three sets of speakers (kitchen, bathroom, patio). All wired to a central location.
    I want to be able to control them via an app or physically.
    I also want to be able to stream Amazon and local radio stations (via TuneIn or an actual tuner).
    Initially I wanted to be able to play different music in each zone. Now I think I could drop that requirement. Just being able to control volume in each zone independently would be good enough.

Current solution
    Three amps
    Three bose soundTouch wireless links
    BoseSoundTouch plug-in for HS3
    Three HS dimmers
    Three HS switches

HS events to sync the dimmers to the volume for each zone.
    HS events to change to certain Bose preset based on single, double or hold of switches.

This worked OK. Until the plug-in started acting up. It is a little slow to respond even when it was working correctly.

I'm going to try reinstalling the plug-in. But if that doesn't end up working I think I'm going to look for a more reliable solution.

Any ideas on what I might do?

Since you're already wired I suggest Russound. The hardware is fantastic and will meet all of your requirements. Since you only have three zones a CAA44 would work fine. The HS plugin is fantastic with great support from the author and is has the added benefit of working seamlessly with BLSpeech which is a must have if you do any kind of announcements with HS.

Just my opinion.

You might want to look at the squeezebox plugin as well. A lot of people here say great things about it but I personally have no experience.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I love Russound - just got an MCA-88X which includes a streaming tuner. Works with Alexa, and Blades' plugin controls it with 2-way communication. I also bought a few XTS Wall Controls because they have full meta-data and allows me to change music services FAST. The streamer does not support Amazon music but does support Pandora, SiriusXM, Tunein, vTuner, Dlna, Airplay... Also, Russound has a page feature which I have wired to a HS speaker client - instant announcements! Meaning, music can be playing but the Russound will automatically page the speakers with that HS speaker audio when sensed. Simply telling HS to speak something will override whatever is playing (even if the zone is off too). You can configure the Russound as to which rooms respond to a page, and it has a DND option.

But, not sure your price range - Russound is $3k+ easy - and don't buy unless you buy through a certified dealer because they now lock they devices and only a certified dealer can unlock them! You may want to go with an older CAV 6.6 or a MCA-C3/C5 - those were the last version that do not require a certified installer to unlock them. Heck, I would be able to sell you my MCA-C5 if you are interested (much less $, that is the last generation) - just replaced it, doesn't have the tuner in it but you can easily do that piece by getting a Sonos and using that for a source...

Alternatively, you can get an A/V receiver (like a Yamaha) and set it to 2.0 sound (only left/right) and get a secondary amp to drive the three speaker sets. A secondary amp like this would work in bridged mode: https://www.russound.com/products/am...ital-amplifier

There are other amps are out there - check out Dayton Audio amps, they are here https://www.parts-express.com/brand/...dayton-audio_E.

Then, you would take the L/R preamp out on the A/V receiver into the BUS IN and set the three channels to BUS -- note you can then adjust each speaker to get the sound level you want - I mean, the gain, not programmatically, so you would not get independent sound - all six speakers are on or off, no zone controls. Make sure you get an A/V receiver that has pre-outs! (usually $500+ ones do)

An alternative is to get a 3-zone A/V receiver and hook each zone to each set - but, you will most likely need at least one two-channel amp because I don't know of any 3-zone system that would have all three zones powered.

Bottom line is the Russound (or similar like a Niles), or 3-zone A/V receiver are the only options if you want independent volume and source control. You can also go with a single zone A/V receiver + Amp and drive all 6...

Comment

I have the Monoprice whole house audio unit and from my perspective it works very well, although I should note it is not fully installed yet in my case (i.e., I have to look up the instructions for sending HS announcements through to input 1). I believe it meets all your requirements (but please confirm), and costs just $450 at the moment (this is close to the cheapest I have seen it):
        https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10761

There are physical control units you could install at each location, or just use the HS plugin to run it, which Happnatious1 has graciously created and provides at no charge. Note that currently the plugin supports one unit (I am hoping happnatious1 extends the functionality to include 3 units, the max for this device). There are six separate audio inputs, and six separate zones per WHA unit. You can send separate audio to each zone, or send the same audio to any number of zones. If you ultimately get 3 units, you could have 18 separate zones, although the number of sources for this would still be 6. You don't currently seem to need all those zones, but it's nice to know that they are available should your needs grow. Announcements can be sent to input 1 with a trigger (that's the part I still need to figure out).

There are also Monoprice bluetooth receiver keypads you can get too, which permit you to send audio from a location to the WHA unit via bluetooth.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

I have heard great things about Russound as well, but personally found that cost difference too hard to swallow. I have no regrets going to the Monoprice units instead. I bought 3. I have no affiliation with Monoprice, I just really like their stuff (and their prices!)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW42 View Post
          I have the Monoprice whole house audio unit and from my perspective it works very well, although I should note it is not fully installed yet in my case (i.e., I have to look up the instructions for sending HS announcements through to input 1). I believe it meets all your requirements (but please confirm), and costs just $450 at the moment (this is close to the cheapest I have seen it):
          https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10761

There are physical control units you could install at each location, or just use the HS plugin to run it, which Happnatious1 has graciously created and provides at no charge. Note that currently the plugin supports one unit (I am hoping happnatious1 extends the functionality to include 3 units, the max for this device). There are six separate audio inputs, and six separate zones per WHA unit. You can send separate audio to each zone, or send the same audio to any number of zones. If you ultimately get 3 units, you could have 18 separate zones, although the number of sources for this would still be 6. You don't currently seem to need all those zones, but it's nice to know that they are available should your needs grow. Announcements can be sent to input 1 with a trigger (that's the part I still need to figure out).

There are also Monoprice bluetooth receiver keypads you can get too, which permit you to send audio from a location to the WHA unit via bluetooth.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

I have heard great things about Russound as well, but personally found that cost difference too hard to swallow. I have no regrets going to the Monoprice units instead. I bought 3. I have no affiliation with Monoprice, I just really like their stuff (and their prices!)

A Russound CAA4 can be had for less than the Monoprice unit. Granted it only has 4 zones.

Comment

The CA4 doesn't look bad from what I can see. I wasn't really aware of that unit before. However, I am still happy with my Monoprice and don't think that seeing it would have changed my choice. However, I stand corrected concerning the price point of the Russound (looks to be in the same general range).

Comment

Here way long time ago started with the Russound CAS44 device and the LCD keyboards which I purchased used. This device was serially connected to Homeseer and my OmniPro 2 panel. My OmniPro touchscreens could also control the Russound.

Later went to two Russound CAA66 amps (added more keypads).

Audio sources lately have been tabletop Squeezeplayers and Kodi boxes and AVRs in the house and Homeseer.

AVRs used to use a shielded microphone cable and over time here switched to using catXX line level baluns.

Using Homeseer touch you can control the hardware and sources via same or different screens.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I bought two Russound CAM6.6 units used off eBay for less than $200 each. Speakers were relatively cheap OSD Audio off Amazon. I just installed the first zone in my office and I'm happy with the quality. Mainly used for background music. Will be installing more speakers soon, though it's going to be difficult getting attic access to some of the spaces and have to figure out how I can run a chase down from the main level to the ground floor to put speakers out by the pool and deck, and the ground floor room I call the basement. House is on the water and on stilts, so living area is actually upstairs.

I am not planning on installing keypads for the Russound, at least initially. Want to see if I can put some Android tablets on the walls running HSTouch instead.
                HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

A while ago Russound had pushed the dealer install option only relating to the purchasing of Russound stuff.

A grey market cropped up where you could purchase new Russound stuff if you wanted to.

Googling today noticed that Crutchfield now sells Russound which is interesting as I used to purchase from Crutchfield in the 1990's and did purchase my first LCD TV's from them (a bulk purchase). Never had a problem with any products purchased from them or delivery of said products.

Crutchfield Russound Multi-room Music Systems
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Comment

have you thought about Sonos at all?

the Connect+Amp will run all 3 speakers (even though they rate at 2). you can use Spotify, etc. total control from any phone or tablet.

Comment

I can't imagine that 3 Onkyo amps would cost less than a Russound system but I don't rightly know. For connecting phones you can just designate one source to a $20 Bluetooth receiver. I have two such. I don't know a thing about FM radio but I imagine that you can get FM receivers or just connect your current Denon as a source. I do believe that there is a Russound FM tuner type thingie that is well supported in BLRussound as well.

Comment

I think that much of this is a matter of preference. It seems to me that a multizone system (either russound or monoprice or something else) is a fairly elegant solution that has the potential to grow and do different things as your needs change. Working with separate Onkyo amps might address your current situation, but does that just put you in a situation where you just need to keep adding amps/receivers for each new zone you might want to add?

If your needs are fixed and unlikely to change then what you have described might work well. But for me (I like to tweak things and expand functionality) I think what you have described would be limiting and I would find myself down the road needing to buy certain input sources twice (or more) to cover each desired zone, and then needing to replace the whole setup at some point in time in order to reasonably and efficiently do what I want to do. In short, the system you have described starts simply but can then become much more unwieldy over time as its implications become clear. A multizone setup might appear complicated initially, but in the long run I think it simplifies matters and could save you money if your needs ultimately expand.

Also, with regard to Monoprice vs. Russound, I would definitely say you would find more support for Russound within Homeseer. Still happy with my monoprice, though

Anyway, that is my two cents. Hope it helps.

Dave

Comment

It does help and I agree with what you are saying. I am seeing the pitfalls of multiple devices right now. It ended up being that one of the 3 Bose Soundtouch wireless links was going bad. Unhooking it fixes most of my issues. It's still not exactly what I want. It also means I am down a zone until i figure out what to do. In the short term i will probably make it a chromecast only zone and just hook a chromecast audio device I already own to it.

I am really tempted to go Russound. After looking at it closely I really like it. I might be insane but I have talked myself into a Denon AVR-X4400H. I'm going to give myself a month or two with my current setup so that I can really think about it.

The X4400H has three powered zones. The BLdenon plugin appears to be able to control all three zones. So I think this is actually my ideal solution. It has the sources and the 3 zones all in one.

If it doesn't work out my kids will get upgraded from the 10 year old denon they have to this kick *** one.

Comment

I forgot to mention I really find the squeezebox and Kodi sources that Pete mentioned interesting. I am definitely going to figure out how to incorporate that.

Comment

Working...
                              X