Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi3 and USB boot?

Howdy!

Has anyone moved from a HomeSeer Zee S2 with SD-card, to a Raspberry Pi3 with USB booted image?

Or in another way to describe this: I am looking for a solution based on a Raspberry Pi that does not fail due to SD-Card problems. So My intention is to buy a Raspberry Pi3, move my Z-Wave GPIO card from my HomeSeer Zee S2, and install the latest Zee firmware on a USB stick (instead of a SD-Card, and do observe that only Raspberry Pi3 supports booting from USB - the current Zee S2 is Raspberry Pi2 based), restore a backup and then re-enter all triggers for events...

Questions then:
    - I hope the license will work?
    - And that the current image does support Pi3?

Anything else I should be aware of (part from the obvious one: This move will remove all my triggers on events due to changing the firmware)?

Questions then:
    - I hope the license will work?
    - And that the current image does support Pi3?

Yes the license / HS3 in Linux works on any Linux box booting any way.

Not sure about the current image as it was written for an SD boot. That said I do not think you would have issues modifying it.

It might be better to start from scratch writing a new Jessie lite image on the USB device and adding the bytes needed to run Homeseer (which is just mono).

Here many years ago went to using two true USB SSD drives with my Seagate Dockstar running Linux for mcsSprinklers. One drive is a Kingspec SSD USB stick (real SSD) and second drive is a USB to ZIF SSD drive. Way back purchased a few of these sticks and SSD ZIF drives. Here tested Homeseer Pro / Lite on a Joggler running Ubuntu via USB, USB SSD and ZIF SSD to work just fine.

Note too that there are a number of USB 3.0 sticks that claim they are SSD but truely are not SSD drives rather they are just fast USB sticks.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Large thanks - I'll most likly take some days between Christmas and New Year to make the move....

Comment

Working...
      X