Difference between Echo and Dot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between Echo and Dot?

If I am buying this device to control Homeseer only, is there any reason to buy an Echo rather than a Dot?

If you currently have an Echo, but use iOS for music, are there any really good reasons to purchase the Echo?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

If you are just using it to talk to homeseer, then save the money and get the dot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

The echo has much better speakers. Like a lot of things you may start with the intention of only using to control HS, but then you might start listening to music through it!

Comment

A Dot with computer speakers plugged into it sounds about the same as an Echo. I have an Echo, 1st gen Dot & 2nd gen Dots. Not aware of any functional differences, unless perhaps you like the idea of twisting the top of the Echo to control volume. You can control volume by voice too on either of them. So I agree, save your money and get a Dot.

Comment

Ha! I have first gen dots that have the twisty tops too (I actually don't prefer either version). Too bad I paid twice as much as the gen 2s :-(

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally like the dot. I don't use it to play music off of it. I use sonos speakers.

So I would say that is the deciding factor...will you be playing music off it...if so then may be worth it if not then definitely should get just dot.

Dot can be directly connected to a receiver, bose sound touch,and others.

Also sonos recently announced that the dot/echo will be able to control sonos seamlessly via wifi sometime in early 2017. this is game changing

Comment

I purchased an "always on" bluetooth receiver for my Denon AVR and use that when I want the dot to play music.

"Alexa, Turn On kitchen speakers" turns on the Denon Zone2 and selects the BT receiver as the source.
              "Alexa, Connect (to kitchen speakers)" tells the dot to connect to the BT receiver
              "Alexa, Play ... on Pandora" plays ... in the kitchen

We just have to remember to "disconnect" the dot from the BT receiver before turning off the kitchen speakers or we won't get any sound out of the dot until we do.

"Alexa, Disconnect (from kitchen speakers)" - returns audio to built-in dot speaker.

Here's a link to the bluetooth receiver I'm using:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

--Ken
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
              X