No announcement yet.

Ideas to prevent unauthorized users from triggering certain events with Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas to prevent unauthorized users from triggering certain events with Alexa

I just realized that now that I have set up an Echo, random people could trigger events by saying "Alexa, tell homeseer to......". This could include an intruder turning off an alarm during a burglary.

One workaround is to put all sorts of weird characters in event names, so "Disarm Alarm" could be renamed "Di$arm @l@rm" which presumably Alexa would not recognize, but I could still find and understand.

I'm sure users of this board have thought of other methods that keep usefulness high, but don't open up obvious security holes. Please share!

So one thing I have done related to disarming alarm and I am not sure it will remain is using Jon's helper script, I tell her to disarm the alarm and she asks me for the passcode. I then tell her the passcode and the alarm disarms.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
      So one thing I have done related to disarming alarm and I am not sure it will remain is using Jon's helper script, I tell her to disarm the alarm and she asks me for the passcode. I then tell her the passcode and the alarm disarms.
      I am going to cross link this to my "showcase" thread. Awesome!
      cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
      X