This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control dimming on dimmer module with wall keypad

I have an insteon remote control lamp dimmer module (2457D2) that I would like to control with an 8 button remote control dimmer keypad (2334-222)

1. I would like the main on/off button to turn the lamp on/off
    2. I would like to utilize the B and D buttons to dim up and down

The first is relatively straight forward based on some posts/instructions that I have come across on this forum and elsewhere on the web

The second is where I am in need of assistance. Is this possible? If so, how do I program it. Is it done directly with the insteon devices or is it something done through homeseer? Any detailed instructions that can be shared would be much appreciated.

for #2, you might be able to create a link (via plugin) from btn B to the module that sets the On-level in the link to "On". then create a link from btn D to the module that sets the on-level in the link to "Off"

you would then need to press & hold down btn B or D to get it to dim accordingly. if you just pressed B, the module would go off immediately. the same for D; the module would go off immediately.

give it a try and report back.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I've created the links between the dimmer and the wall controller as instructed. Unfortunately the desired effect has not been accomplished.

Test 1:
      When I press button B once, the lamp turns on and the LED on the button turns on
      When I press button B again, the lamp turns off and the LED on the button turns off

Test 2:
      When I press button D, nothing happens to the lamp (because it is sending an off command), and the LED on the button turns on
      When I press the D button again, nothing happens to the lamp and the LED on the button turns off

Test 3:
      When I press button B once, the lamp turns on and the LED on the button turns on
      When I press button D once, the lamp turns off and the LED on the D button turns on and the LED on the B button stayed on.
      To get the B and D buttons to turn off, I have to press each one which have no effect on the lamp

Based on the above 3, the devices seem to be working as programmed.

Test 4:
      When I press button B once, the lamp turns on and the LED on the button turns on (as described above)
      If I then hold down the D button, nothing happens and when I let go of the D button after a few seconds, the D button is now on, but nothing happened on the lamp. The lamp did not dim and the LED on button B and D is now on.

Any other suggestions on what I can try to get the wall controller buttons to dim up and down?

Comment

in order to dim, you must press and hold the button. a single press will trigger an On. and a double tap will trigger a full on.

that said, insteon doesn't really support what you are trying to accomplish. I was just trying to think of a workaround
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Just received my first mini remote (8 button) today. Updated the PI to beta level and it created the devices just fine.

I also have a need to control a dimmable light with the mini remote. I think I'll probably do with events and a virtual device or two.

It is a high priority project for me so it will get done. Will post back here when I am set in terms of design.

Comment

Here is what I have come up with. It seems to work for me but is not heavily tested.

It uses two buttons on the mini remote (C and D in this example). The left button (C) toggles between OFF and ON. The right button (D) changes dim levels.
            Attached Files

Comment

What is this "toggle device" command?

Comment

The toggle logic is added with the EasyTrigger plug in. EasyTrigger adds a lot of new options in events. It costs $24.95. Sorry for not mentioning that.

Comment

No worries. I'm just happy that there is a solution to the dimming problem. I'm going to download that plugin.

Comment

Working...
                  X