Plug in no longer working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug in no longer working.

The plugin has stopped working. I have moved to ISY firmware 4.2.30 for z-Wave support. I have installed one Z-Wave device (Thermostat) and will be installing a second thermostat as soon as I get the better Antenna for ISY Z-Wave operation. The ISY appears to be working fine.

I get the following message during Homeseer startup:
    Error Initializing Interface: ISY Insteon-> Index was ouside the bounds of the array.

The Insteon plugin does not show up on the web page so there is not much I can do. All The ISY devices show up on the device status page. The devices have the correct state. I can issue a command to a device which is obeyed, however subsequent commands to the same or a device that has been sent a command from the status page take minutes to be executed.

Do you believe this is a 4.2.30 problem? I need 4.2.30 for the Z-Wave support.

I just noticed the following in the Homeseer Log:
    ISY Insteon ----> Watchdog timeout.

I reverted The ISY to 4.2.18 with the exact same result. I will remove the Z-Wave device and see what happens.

I removed the Z-Wave device (excluded It from ISY) and the Plugin once again works. The plugin no longer puts out the error during initialization, The ISY Insteon Status button once again appears on the Web page. The operation of the device page is still not correct. It is sluggish after the first change to a device. It is as iff it is in some sort of a loop and not handling the web page for a while, times out and then again handles the web page after about a minute.

Hope the above helps as I do depend on the ISY and do not wish to have to code something up to handle my simple needs.
    While Homeseer and the plugin was running I re-enrolled the Z-wave thermostat. The following messages appeared in the log:
    Warning: Trying to use capability 6 to get ID for device ZW002 Thermostat
    Warning: Trying to use capability 5 to get ID for device ZW002 Thermostat
    Warning: Trying to use capability 4 to get ID for device ZW002 Thermostat
    Warning: Trying to use capability 3 to get ID for device ZW002 Thermostat
    Warning: Trying to use capability 2 to get ID for device ZW002 Thermostat
    Warning: Trying to use capability 1 to get ID for device ZW002 Thermostat
    Last edited by Barry Gordon; May 2, 2015, 07:36 AM. Reason: More information

I know I also had issues several months back when I tried to update to a beta version of the firmware that was above 4.2.18. I downgraded back to 4.2.18 and have been running on that since without an issue. I hadn't tried again since the release of 4.2.30, but we might need to wait and see if there was something introduced in the newer versions that is causing an issue with the plugin. I'm not controlling any z-wave devices through the ISY though so my issue might be a bit different than what you are seeing.

Jeff

Comment

It is definitely related to the Z-Wave devices. If I have the plug log more errors and messages there are quite a few messages related to the ISY posting Z-wave related events.

As long as there are no z-wave devices in the ISY when the plugin starts, then the fatal error does not appear.

I really hope this gets fixed quickly as the plugin will no longer be usable by me unless Z-wave devices are at least handled with no errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Gordon View Post
        It is definitely related to the Z-Wave devices. If I have the plug log more errors and messages there are quite a few messages related to the ISY posting Z-wave related events.

As long as there are no z-wave devices in the ISY when the plugin starts, then the fatal error does not appear.

I really hope this gets fixed quickly as the plugin will no longer be usable by me unless Z-wave devices are at least handled with no errors.
        Hi Barry,

First, sorry for the trouble you're having with the plugin. You don't mention if this is for the HS2 plugin or the HS3. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that this is on the HS2 plugin.

I just updated my ISY to 4.2.30 and I'm not having any problems but, I don't have any z-wave thermostats which is what I think is causing the problem. I do have z-wave switches, lighting modules, and locks. Do you have other z-wave devices? If so, are you seeing the same problem with those enrolled but not the thermostat?

If it is the z-wave thermostat, not having one will make it more difficult for me to debug, but I can see one possible issue we can try.
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in
        http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Originally posted by cerjzc View Post
          I know I also had issues several months back when I tried to update to a beta version of the firmware that was above 4.2.18. I downgraded back to 4.2.18 and have been running on that since without an issue. I hadn't tried again since the release of 4.2.30, but we might need to wait and see if there was something introduced in the newer versions that is causing an issue with the plugin. I'm not controlling any z-wave devices through the ISY though so my issue might be a bit different than what you are seeing.

Jeff
          Jeff, do you have any more details about the issue you were having with the newer firmware versions? I just jumped from 4.2.21 to 4.2.30 and I'm not seeing any issues. I've also been tracking the firmware changelog and haven't seen anything that I though would cause problems with the plug-in.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Bob, It is definitely the thermostat. I am running HS2. I excluded the thermostat so the ISY did not know about it and the problems went away until I included the Z-Wave Thermostat dynamically to the ISY. The thermostat is the only Z-Wave device I have. I installed new Trane HVAC systems and those are the thermostats. They are actually made by Nexia and re-branded. I have one thermostat running and a second one goes in tomorrow when the external antenna for the ISY arrives.

There are quite a few new messages and the 4.2.30 developer docs have all of the info. I am quite familiar with the ISY code as I wrote a complete system to use the ISY for my iPads and iPhone. I am more than willing to run any tests that you think will help you, just let me know what you want me to do.

If the Z-wave Tstat is included in the ISY when your plugin starts then there is a quasi-fatal error during initialization. It seems to be fatal to the plugin, but not to Homeseer. In that case the The plugin does not appear on the status page so no adjustments can be made.

If the Z-Wave device is NOT included in the ISY when your plugin starts. Everything seems to be OK, however as soon as I include the Z-Wave Tstat so the ISY knows about it, the plugin starts behaving erratically.

I have added two log files that show the errors. I think the log level was Notices.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Barry Gordon; May 3, 2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Barry,

I made a change that might allow the z-wave thermostats work. You can download just the plug-in from http://www.bobshome.net/homeseer/HSPI_ISYInsteon.dll and replace your current version with this one. I'd recommend you make a backup of the original before, and you'll need to stop HomeSeer before replacing the file.
              --
              Bob Paauwe
              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Bob,

I really appreciate your attention to this matter. I did as you requested stopping HS2, loading the new version of your plugin and restarting HS2. Unfortunately nothing changed, the plugin does not work. I am running version 2.5.0.52 of HS2. I have attached the log file.

While viewing the file in a text editor with line numbers (I use TextPad):

The ISY plugin starts at line 97. Line 110 shows the initial interface error that I believe causes the problem. I call this Case 1. This error will not show up if the ISY configuration does not contain a Z-Wave device. I call this Case-2. That is, if I include the Z-wave device after the ISY plugin is running having been started before the ISY had any Z-Wave device.

In case 1, the Web view does not show the ISY Insteon Status button so I can not change any of the ISY plugin configuration. In case 2 it does.

Line 138: I turned on the office desk light (Device `47) from the device status page. The light immediately turned on. I then tried to turn off the desk light and it did not turn off.

In the previous log files I sent (earlier in this thread) there are ISY messages relating to the parsing of event messages pertaining to excluding (removing) the z-wave device from the ISY and including (adding) it back in. Normally this would be done very rarely.

Is it your intent to provide the same support for the Z-Wave thermostats as for the Insteon one? The thermostat I am using is Nexia model TCONT624AS42DA. Perhaps you should get one from Nexia or Trane figure out what is wrong and then return it for a refund. The thermostat just needs 24 VAC to work, it does not have to be connected to any HVAC system as it gets no feedback. I do not use the Nexia bridge as it is not needed with the ISY

I hope the above helps
                Attached Files

Comment

Bob,

I really appreciate your attention to this matter. I did as you requested stopping HS2, loading the new version of your plugin and restarting HS2. Unfortunately nothing changed, the plugin does not work. I am running version 2.5.0.52 of HS2. I have attached the log file.
                  It would really help to see a debug log output for this if possible. I thought it was simply that the the z-wave thermostat was not getting created correctly in the plug-in, since fixing that didn't help anything, there's something else that's going on.

This failure is not something that's being handled properly so once it happens one of the plug-in's threads dies and can easily lead to the other issues you are seeing.

[edit] I just thought of something. If the plug-in did create a HS device for the thermostat, please delete that and let it try to create it using the version from my web site. Your initial attempts may have created a thermostat device that's not configured correctly. Simply delete any z-wave thermostat devices from HS, shutdown, restart with the test version of the plug-in.

Is it your intent to provide the same support for the Z-Wave thermostats as for the Insteon one? The thermostat I am using is Nexia model TCONT624AS42DA. Perhaps you should get one from Nexia or Trane figure out what is wrong and then return it for a refund. The thermostat just needs 24 VAC to work, it does not have to be connected to any HVAC system as it gets no feedback. I do not use the Nexia bridge as it is not needed with the ISY
                  In theory, the ISY should be abstracting the thermostat details from the plug-in. I really shouldn't have to worry about what type of thermostat is connected to the ISY. However, I do see that z-wave thermostats do bring a lot of new capabilities that the insteon thermostats didn't have. That could be part of the problem.

I wasn't planning to add any new features to the HS2 plug-in since HS2 is basically EOL'd now. But I also do want it to continue functioning with new ISY firmware releases. The easy solution would be to ignore z-wave thermostats, but I'd rather see if I can get at limited functionality for them.
                  --
                  Bob Paauwe
                  ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I really don't require the ISY plugin to work with the thermostats, it would be nice though.

All I need is for the plugin not to get into a non-functioning state when there is a Z-Wave thermostat configured in the ISY.

I have attached a log file as you requested. The Z wave thermostat was included in the ISY configuration when I started homeseer with the ISY plugin enabled. The ISY logging was set to "ALL"
                    Attached Files

Comment

Barry,

Thanks! That log helped. I believe I found the problem and I've up loaded a new copy of the .dll to my web site for you to try. Let me know how it goes.
                      --
                      Bob Paauwe
                      ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Late the party here but curious... Barry - why not upgrade to HS3 and run Z-Wave from HS3?
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Bob, Downloaded and ran the new copy.

The interface error is gone and the ISY Insteon status button and the ISY Thermostat button both appear on the web page.

The following does not work or is incorrct:

Thermostat - the values shown are incorrect. The temperature shows as 38.5. The correct temperature is 77 degrees F which is equivalent t 25 degrees C. Not a big problem for me as I control and query the thermostats from my iPads.

Device Action. If I attempt to perform a device action from the devices web page (e.g. Office Desk Light - on or off) the first command to a device works fine. I can then issue a command to a different device. Subsequent commands to the same device do not work. I do believe if I wait long enough (600 seconds?) It gets to a point where the next command to the same device works.

I have attached a log file of the run. The turning On of the Office Desk Light I think appears at line 25298. I never see the turning off entry although I did command it to go off from the device status page

OOPS The log file is too big to attach. If you give me your eMail address to I can send it to you via sendSpace which I use quite a bit or I could change the logging level. What do you suggest? my email is barry@the-gordons.net. The file is about 2.6 MB

Comment

Bob, Downloaded and ran the new copy.

The interface error is gone and the ISY Insteon status button and the ISY Thermostat button both appear on the web page.

The following does not work or is incorrct:

Thermostat - the values shown are incorrect. The temperature shows as 38.5. The correct temperature is 77 degrees F which is equivalent t 25 degrees C. Not a big problem for me as I control and query the thermostats from my iPads.

Device Action. If I attempt to perform a device action from the devices web page (e.g. Office Desk Light - on or off) the first command to a device works fine. I can then issue a command to a different device. Subsequent commands to the same device do not work. I do believe if I wait long enough (600 seconds?) It gets to a point where the next command to the same device works.

I have attached a log file of the run. The turning On of the Office Desk Light I think appears at line 25298. I never see the turning off entry although I did command it to go off from the device status page

OOPS The log file is too big to attach. If you give me your eMail address to I can send it to you via sendSpace which I use quite a bit or I could change the logging level. What do you suggest? my email is barry@the-gordons.net. The file is about 2.6 MB
                            The temp is probably 1/2 since insteon thermostats send the valuex2. You can send the log to me at bpaauwe@yahoo.com
                            --
                            Bob Paauwe
                            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

The log file is on its way. You should get an eMail with the download link, but here it is just in case https://www.sendspace.com/file/vd2x6a

Yes you are correct on the 2X issue. I had to handle that on the iPads.

Comment

Working...
                              X