Amazon Echo Dot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo Dot

My amp (Sony receiver) for my whole house system has multiple inputs, video, tape, CD, DAT. I use the Tape input for for my HS3 computer output. So I connected the Dot to the CD input. I can control the amp via HS3 and the USB UIRT. I can now switch the input via HS3 to the Dot or the computer. I created a HS3 event: at 7:00 AM speak "Alexa, play Spotify wake up playlist", switch input to CD.

This works fairly well, but the HS3 volume and the voice quality must be just right. I am using the Neospeech Kate voice on HS3. I also used "play SpotFI" in the text to speech command. Not ideal, but it works.

A better way would be to use the HS3 Amazon API or skill to send the appropriate JSON command directly to the dot. Any ideas?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Have you thought of connecting your echo and dots to HS3 via bluetooth?

Then your HS3 output would override the echo or dot whenever HS3 speaks.

(this is theoretical..., don't hold me to it.)
      Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Sarge, I was just thinking about Bluetooth. As I understand it, the dot will send its audio out via Bluetooth. This is not available on the echo. I don't have a Bluetooth connection to my whole house audio but I might get one. Does anyone know if the Bluetooth output from the dot is stereo? Also, do the internal speakers in the dot still work when it is connected to Bluetooth?

Lots of possibilities!!!!

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I was thinking this because the echo can receive bluetooth audio.

I tried this with a PC running HS3 where I sent audio messages from HS3 to the echo via bluetooth. (it didn't sound like Alexa though, 'cuz it's just straight audio)

If the dot is the echo without a speaker, it should do the same thing.

I did not see if the bluetooth audio would interrupt the echo audio, so that part is conjecture.
          Wade

Comment

Tried it with a phone bluetoothed to an echo.

The bluetooth audio does interrupt the echo audio, after which the echo audio resumes.

So, if you have an old spare phone lying around, throw it on a power supply and install HSTouch on it, then pair it to the echo and leave it nearby.

Audio from HS3 will be passed through the HSTouch client to the echo.

Next thing is to get it to sound like Alexa...
            Wade

Comment

This is a great idea, but my old phone is not capable of running HSTouch. But I have HSTouch on my smartphone and I will try it.

I'm pretty sure the dot is a Bluetooth sender not a Bluetooth receiver. The instructions show it connected to a Bluetooth speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                This is a great idea, but my old phone is not capable of running HSTouch. But I have HSTouch on my smartphone and I will try it.

I'm pretty sure the dot is a Bluetooth sender not a Bluetooth receiver. The instructions show it connected to a Bluetooth speaker.

The Dot is definitely a BT transmitter to standalone BT speakers. Not sure yet (and not at home to try it currently) whether it's a BT receiver also. It DOES have a speaker and seems to work just like the echo from a non-BT perspective. I put mine in our bedroom. Not sure yet whether I will both hooking it up to an external speaker. The speaker is not as good as the echo but it's probably good enough for the bedroom, especially as I will be using the Dot to control the bedroom Sonos for music.
                cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
                  Tried it with a phone bluetoothed to an echo.

The bluetooth audio does interrupt the echo audio, after which the echo audio resumes.

So, if you have an old spare phone lying around, throw it on a power supply and install HSTouch on it, then pair it to the echo and leave it nearby.

Audio from HS3 will be passed through the HSTouch client to the echo.

Next thing is to get it to sound like Alexa...
                  If the Pi3 could run Android, I think it would be an awesome low-cost way to send TTS from the Pi3 to the Echo. I sure wish there were more hours in the day to play with that
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I don't have much experience with Bluetooth. My Dell Micro computer that I use for HS3 has Bluetooth built in. If I pair the dot with the computer will it play through the computer?

Comment

Here is something interesting I discovered. The dot and the echo can each play music independently of one another at the same time. And they can both be controlled independently via the Alexa app.

Comment

Amazon Echo Dot

I paired my iPad with the dot. Yes it will play music streamed from the iPad (Spotify) on its internal speaker or to the audio out when the jack is plugged in. So this allows the dot to be used as a Bluetooth receiver with any sound system. The output via the 1/8" jack is stereo. Excellent quality!

While paired, Alexa will respond to voice commands. She mutes the stream then speaks the response then continues the music being streamed. Very Nice!

While Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Steve Q; April 1, 2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Sarge, I have an old Apple iTouch that I used with HS2. It has HSTouch installed. I could use it instead of a phone! I'm charging it; will let you know how it works as a speaker client.

WOW, I'm really liking the dot!!!!!

Steve Q

Comment

Amazon Echo Dot

Another great feature. While streaming from another Bluetooth device, say "Alexa, stop" then answer the phone. When finished on the phone, say "Alexa, continue", she will resume playing Bluetooth. Sweet!

Note: this is all being done through my whole house audio system.

You can also control the volume; "Alexa, volume down" or "Alexa, volume level 3".

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve Q;1237883]

You can also control the volume; "Alexa, volume down" or "Alexa, volume level 3".

This turned into a bit of a problem for us when my 3 year old's diction became clear enough for Alexa to understand him saying "Alexa, play Uptown Funk" immediately followed by "Alexa, volume 10" and this was 6am on a Saturday!
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                                The Dot is definitely a BT transmitter to standalone BT speakers. Not sure yet (and not at home to try it currently) whether it's a BT receiver also. It DOES have a speaker and seems to work just like the echo from a non-BT perspective. I put mine in our bedroom. Not sure yet whether I will both hooking it up to an external speaker. The speaker is not as good as the echo but it's probably good enough for the bedroom, especially as I will be using the Dot to control the bedroom Sonos for music.
                                It's also a receiver. I swapped out one of my chromecast audio's for the dot in my daughter's bathroom so she could play music. Pairs up just fine. I already have the majority of my music on Google Play so it just makes sense for her to use what she's already familiar with.

Comment

Working...
                                X