Amazon Echo Dot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're Killing Me

My Dots still show July 15 delivery. I spent too long going back and forth on whether to get more Echos or Dots. I'm hoping they are sandbagging on that date.

Comment

Waiting for my Dots to arrive but I want to try using them for whole house voice recognition. I have mics in each room, mixed with AP800's. The output of the AP800 would connect to a speaker next to the centrally located Dot which in turn is connected to my whole house audio.

Comment

After reading this forum I decided to order 1 Echo Dot. Estimated delivery is July 27th. Sheesh. It did take my echo nearly a month to come in as I'm late to this party
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
        Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
        http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
          Since they are limiting to existing Echo owners, does anyone know if they plan on addressing multiple echo's in the home?
          You can also order through Alexa on a Fire TV.

Comment

echo

I have 3 echos and 4 dots in a 2800 square foot house they all work great together..some times 2 respond to my request. however it doesn't cause a problem. I have one outside so I can control outside lights and fans, fountain and watering system all using my voice.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO INTEGRATE COX HOMELIFE ALARM SYSTEM WITH HOMESEER.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS MARK

Comment

Originally posted by metzgermark View Post
              DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO INTEGRATE COX HOMELIFE ALARM SYSTEM WITH HOMESEER.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS MARK

Look at your alarm panel board. Most alarms are just rebranded ademco/Honeywell or dsc. Both of which can be integrated with HS. There are a few new alarm makers on the market like go control which can't be integrated at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone
              Tom
              baby steps...starting again with HS3
              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Hey guys!
                I have one Echo Dot and I use the audio out to plug it into my Sonos Play 5 in the kitchen. I also have one more on order for the same setup in the basement. If I continue expanding like that, how do I address multiple dots in the same house? Each needs a unique name? Or have them all named the same name (mine is Echo, instead of Alexa) and have each respond when they hear you, or several respond at once?

Comment

Amazon Echo Dot

Originally posted by VirtualPanther View Post
                  Hey guys!
                  I have one Echo Dot and I use the audio out to plug it into my Sonos Play 5 in the kitchen. I also have one more on order for the same setup in the basement. If I continue expanding like that, how do I address multiple dots in the same house? Each needs a unique name? Or have them all named the same name (mine is Echo, instead of Alexa) and have each respond when they hear you, or several respond at once?

I have an echo on each floor, only one hears a command. I am curious however, what actually happens when 2 echos hear "kitchen lights on". Do they both try to run the API. Will it work? Has anybody tried this?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Yes they will both try to run it. No adverse effects as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
                      Yes they will both try to run it. No adverse effects as far as I can tell.

So, if you set up different/unique device names for all your voice controlled devices, it does not matter if the request is heard by multiple echos, it will still control the device properly.

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                        So, if you set up different/unique device names for all your voice controlled devices, it does not matter if the request is heard by multiple echos, it will still control the device properly.

Steve Q

But what appears to be a better approach: multiple dots sharing the same name, so that you don't have to think which one is closer and just call out same name every time? Or, perhaps, each dot having a unique name and try to get the wife and kids to remember what name to use and where?

Comment

But what appears to be a better approach: multiple dots sharing the same name, so that you don't have to think which one is closer and just call out same name every time? Or, perhaps, each dot having a unique name and try to get the wife and kids to remember what name to use and where?
                          The problem I have with multiple entries is some of the devices I control do not have On/Off but rather Toggle between the two, so if two Echo's trigger at the same time, they cancel themselves out.
                          We're finding it more difficult to remember the correct device names rather than the echo name (ie Alexa is downstairs, Echo is upstairs). More than 3 echo's in a house and you're not going to have an option anyway.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                            We're finding it more difficult to remember the correct device names rather than the echo name (ie Alexa is downstairs, Echo is upstairs). More than 3 echo's in a house and you're not going to have an option anyway.

Z
                            Is there any support for custom names?

Comment

Are we talking about HS3 device names or the Amazon echo "wake" word?

I am using only virtual HS3 devices for Alexa. That way I can name them anything I want. They are all on/off only. I then use events that are triggered by the virtual Alexa device change. This allows all kinds of flexibility. It is very fast and works well. So if multiple echos, hear "Alexa, dining room lights on", the dining room lights will come on regardless of which echo hears it. I like this behavior. I would never be able to remember multiple names for the echo! I can't even call my grandkids by their right name!

Steve Q

Comment

Is there any support for custom names?
                                Not currently, and since I suspect that must be coded into the device, not the cloud, I wouldn't expect to see new ones anytime soon...

Z

Comment

Working...
                                X