Echo and Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WAR View Post
    In using Jon's Alexa Helper, does every event command have to be preceded by saying "Tell Homeseer to"?
    Yes, it uses the Homeseer Home Automation Skill (option 2) : http://homeseer.com/amazon-echo-integration.html

You can create your own skill and change the 'Homeseer' word to something else if you want.
    Jon

Comment

I got this advice from the Homeseer tech team:

"You should be able to use the phrase 'run the {event name} event'"

If so, I should be able to say "Alexa, run the {Den - Turn on Lights} event".

Can't wait to try it when I get home!

Comment

I you read the Homeseer page I linked to earlier, all the possibilities are detailed!
        Jon

Comment

Well, that didn't work.

Even though I have only one event titled "Master Bedroom - Turn On Lights", Alexa says "I found several devices matching that name. Which one do you want"?

Comment

Did you say 'Alexa, run the {Den - Turn on Lights} event'

or

'Alexa, tell HomeSeer to run the {Den - Turn on Lights} event'

Running an event is done from the custom skill.

The Smart Home skill only does a limited number of commands, whereas the custom skill is more robust.

The downside is you need to include the phrase 'tell HomeSeer to' in your command.
            Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

I think you will find you were misinformed. You can say "Alexa,tell Homeseer to run the Den - Turn on Lights event"

The Smart Home skill (where you only say Alexa) cannot run events directly. You can only Say turn on/off/dim/set temperature.
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                I think you will find you were misinformed. You can say "Alexa,tell Homeseer to run the Den - Turn on Lights event"

The Smart Home skill (where you only say Alexa) cannot run events directly. You can only Say turn on/off/dim/set temperature.
                That didn't work either!

Comment

It probably because you have a dash in the event name. Remove/Rename it to something shorter and try again.

Look in the Homeseer log to see what Alexa heard...the text has to match.
                  Jon

Comment

That's an excellent observation and suggestion. I created all of my events with the room name followed by a dash . . .

Can wait to try this!

Comment

Can't find "homeseer home automation skill"

When I search for "homeseer home automation skill" in Echo skills I only see one...I don't the see "more robust one" you mentioned. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Ed

Comment

One skill is located under 'Skills' - 'Smart Home', the second will be found under 'Smart Home' then click on the 'Get More Smart Home Skills' link.
                        Jon

Comment

Got it

Thanks, Jon!

Ed

Comment

I simplified my event name and took out the hyphen. It is now "Master Lights On".

Using the phrase "Alexa, run Master Lights on event" nor "Alexa, tell Homeseer to run Master Lights on event" works.

I am using the Alexa Homeseer Smart Home Skill set.

Jon, I think it's time for me to attempt to install your Alexa Helper!

Comment

Originally posted by WAR View Post
                              I simplified my event name and took out the hyphen. It is now "Master Lights On".

Using the phrase "Alexa, run Master Lights on event" nor "Alexa, tell Homeseer to run Master Lights on event" works.

I am using the Alexa Homeseer Smart Home Skill set.

Jon, I think it's time for me to attempt to install your Alexa Helper!

What version are you running of HS itself? We just found out this morning if you are below 293, Alexa probably won't work properly.

Comment

Echo and Events

Oh and try saying Alexa run event blah blah instead run blah blah on event. You also can only run events from the skill (tell homeseer). You cannot do it from the home API without utilizing virtual devices.

Comment

Working...
                                X