GE 45631 Controller > 32 nodes (sigh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE 45631 Controller > 32 nodes (sigh)

I remembered reading about this controller and the fact it won't address nodes above the number 32. I remembered it, and then promptly forgot. I bought one and have it in the kitchen happily controlling a bunch of lights. I have pseudo-scenes programmed even.

Then I added more devices to my network.

Then I deleted some, and added more. Then SWMBO wanted a switch for all the Christmas lights.... some of which are on plugs with node numbers bigger than 32. D@mn!

I like these cause they are wireless and stick-on. I don't have a spot to mount one in a gang box, unless I remove a switch... which is a possibility I guess depending on how they wire up.

So, is there a similar product out there, wireless, sticky-tape mountable, that addresses more nodes? Barring that, any suggestions on how to make the 45631 work? Can I reassign node numbers? Or, am I rebuilding the system, adding what I want controlled by these keypads first.... d@mn!

Cheers!

Chris
    Last edited by chrisgrainger; November 21, 2016, 12:17 PM.

Use the status change of one of the lower node numbers to trigger an event that turns on/off the higher nodes. For example if your Christmas lights are on nodes 18, 35, and 42, create an event that turns on 35 and 42 when 18 changes to On.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Hi Chris,
      What's the z-wave controller that you have?. If you can backup and restore your interface, any empty node numbers will get used against starting from the lowest one.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        Hi Chris,
        What's the z-wave controller that you have?. If you can backup and restore your interface, any empty node numbers will get used against starting from the lowest one.

Cheers
        Al
        I've got a Z-Net. So.... if I back it up, blow it away and then restore it, the lower nodes that have been deleted are reused... hmmmmm.. This is worth a try for sure. Thanks.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          Use the status change of one of the lower node numbers to trigger an event that turns on/off the higher nodes. For example if your Christmas lights are on nodes 18, 35, and 42, create an event that turns on 35 and 42 when 18 changes to On.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          This is worth a try too. The tree is on a lower node while the rest are ... well ... you know... up there.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

For now, I'm using an event to trigger the higher numbered nodes when the lower nodes are switched. I had to speed up the polling a tad ... from 20 minutes to 15 seconds ... to make the switching as seamless as possible. Not much going on in my Z-Wave network so I'm not too concerned with bogging down with that much polling, but I will keep an eye on it. I did discover that the polling can be at different rates for different times of the day which is pretty cool.

Eventually, I will back up/restore the Z-Net to recover the lower nodes and with any luck, the ones I'm interested in will re-appear below node 33. Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Cheers!

Chris

Comment

@chrisgrainger

Did your restore process work? I'm thinking of doing this but I would like to know your results.

Comment

I have not tried it yet. The event trigger method worked fine for the Christmas light issue. When I do the backup/restore, I will let you know how it worked.

Cheers!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                  @chrisgrainger

Did your restore process work? I'm thinking of doing this but I would like to know your results.
                  I've done it quite a few times and it works fine.

Cheers
                  Al

Comment

So simply backup the config, easy enough. It backs up to my PC not to some directory in the Zee. But how to blow it away? Plug in a keyboard and screen then press SHIFT on boot up? Or something easier?

Thanks, I'm still a newbie at most of this.

Comment

So simply backup the config, easy enough. It backs up to my PC not to some directory in the Zee. But how to blow it away? Plug in a keyboard and screen then press SHIFT on boot up? Or something easier?

Thanks, I'm still a newbie at most of this.
                      Not sure if the process that we were referring to works on a Zee, but it should. You need to go to the Z-Wave's plugin Controller Management page, backup the config of the controller and restore it using the options in the drop down. The file should be stored locally on the Zee. You may need to re-optimize the zwave devices after.

Cheers
                      Al

Comment

It seems the Zee is different. Making a backup from a PC to my 192.168.1.x port puts the backup on my PC not on the Zee. So I shutdown the Zee, started it up and used startX. From there I opened a web page to the same 192.168.1.x and got the usual HS3 screen.

Then I went to Setup and under the configuration tab I clicked backup. A backup with a zip extension was created in the download directory. I can't look at the contents of the zip file since apparently there isn't an unzip type program.

So my question is, when I click on Restore config after resetting the Zee back to new, will the Zee see this zip file as something it can work with? I don't want to start at page 1 and have to jump through including everything again.

Or am I doing this completely wrong?

Comment

Or am I doing this completely wrong?
                          Yes. What we are talking about is backing up and restoring just the zwave interface/controller. The steps you are looking at are for backing up and restoring all of HS. However this does not back up the zwave interface portion. My previous post indicates where you need to do the interface backup and restore.

Cheers
                          Al

Comment

Here's a screenshot of the Controller Management page and I don't see anything like what you're talking about. Is it different on the Zee?

I can also navigate to the zwave plugin screen which I just happened to find, but I don't see a backup/restore option here either.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I just found it in the dropdown list under the section of node include, remove etc. At least that seems to be it.

Now... after that, which selection next? Thanks for your patience.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X