Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Humidity Sensor

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Zooz Z-Wave Humidity Senors are compatible with the original Gen 1 HSZee? I use that exclusively for Z-Wave and really have only used Radio Tech Thermostat, Schlage and Kwikset locks, a few basic modules.

I'm mostly a hardwired motion and UPB guy (which is attached to HomeSeer PC), and toss in a slew of X10 RF sensors (they just keep running...so I just keep popping batteries in). Although the intention will be that HS3 will get all the same triggers and information that I currently have coming in from my HSZee to my HS2 install. This uses a script I got from rmasonjr oh so long ago...again, I typically do not TOUCH this box. It does my HVAC and so it just lives it's life watching my Z-Wave goodness.

Sensor wise, I'm referring to these (and yes, I removed all the crazy Amazon tracking ref parts of the link):
    Zooz

I would have preferred to buy something from the HomeSeer store (more a guarantee it'll work and I like supporting the crew), but the only Z-Wave sensor that states it can provide humidity is ...well, enormous! I showed my wife and that was vetoed rather quickly.

Humidity Sensors @ HS Store

The Amazon page seems to mention that Z-Wave Plus could be an issue. I do not think I have Z-Wave plus, just whatever stick came with the original HSZee (the one that has a Raspberry Pi inside). It is black and my wife says the blue LED is as bright as the SUN at night - so it lives with a sticky note across the LED. Need I worry about this?

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

I believe that Aeotec sells multi sensors that include humidity readings. And their earlier ones are not Z-Wave Plus.

I had an original Zee, which I *think* shipped with a Z-Stick? If so, that's not Z-Wave Plus, and you may indeed have problems.

However, you should be able to upgrade the Z-Stick to a Z-NET or a SmartStick. The upgrade process may not be seamless -- it should be, but some people have had issues (FWIW, I did not, but it was many years ago).

Comment

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor

And it even displays the HomeSeer logo at the bottom of the page.

To me it seems smaller than others and it can be recessed into the wall for a lower profile.
      Last edited by racerfern; January 16, 2017, 03:57 PM. Reason: further explain

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
        http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor

And it even displays the HomeSeer logo at the bottom of the page.

To me it seems smaller than others and it can be recessed into the wall for a lower profile.
        I hear they suffer from not so great batty life, but they do have the option of being run off of usb power.

Comment

I've heard of the battery life issue also. You only have to use 1 CR123A and as they are set in parallel, two should give close to double the life. I've got two on order so I'm also going to fool around with rechargeable CR123A batteries.

I plan on installing under the eaves outside, so plugging into USB is going to be a pain. We'll see.

Comment

I've heard of the battery life issue also. You only have to use 1 CR123A and as they are set in parallel, two should give close to double the life. I've got two on order so I'm also going to fool around with rechargeable CR123A batteries.

I plan on installing under the eaves outside, so plugging into USB is going to be a pain. We'll see.
            I plan on just running the 1 I currently have to my utility closet and plugging it in there. My only issue is finding a USB cable that is CL2/3 certified for the attic space, but I may just install it anyways.

You could just do a cat -> USB adapter or something like that (might work).. It's only power, and low voltage at that. would be nice if they choose something besides USB for power.

I also hear someone just installed a USB hub in their attic and ran the sensors to that. Once again, it's all low voltage, so should be too much of a concern.

Comment

All,

Thanks for this information. It basically confirms what I was thinking. As I do not have ZWave+, I either have to experiment, or try something else.

I also appreciate the link above. I had only seen the Zooz and what was posted in the HS Store.

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Racefern,
                I have been testing a couple of Multisensor6. I've learned a few things which I will share here, FWIW:

1) A key to longer battery life is don't accept the default reporting setup(Groups 1,2,3). I put only the battery reporting in Group 1 and set the interval to 12 hours--or 24 hours would even be better. For other sensors that I need more often, I put in Group 2 or 3 with the longest reporting interval I can tolerate--and only put in those sensors I really need; each one reporting takes some juice. Then set the Wakeup Interval (near bottom of "settings" page) to slightly less than your shortest interval in the Groups"---or to it's maximum of 1 hour if you can live with that.

2) Turn off any z-wave polling on the Root Device and all the Child Devices.

3) I tried a few cheap($1.00) CR123A batteries and got short lives(~6 months) and erratic battery reading-one even went "open circuit" instead of a declining voltage. I'm now testing with Duracell(PROCELL) which cost about $2.00. I'm hoping to get 1-2 years when reporting battery every 12 hrs and one sensor every 14 minutes.

4) Keep the "Motion Timeout" at the default(4 minutes) or longer, especially in high traffic areas to minimize motion transmissions, each which takes some juice.

Let us how you find the lifetime of rechargables--I worry their higher normal leakage might significantly effect longevity when your talking more than 6-12 months.

Comment

Working...
                X