Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZWave Thermostat for 120V Baseboard Heaters

Hi
    Anyone know of any ZWave thermostats that will work with 120V Baseboard heaters and HS2?

From some investigation the electric baseboard heaters require something different than ones using a furnace/heat pump.

TIA
    Antony

There's only 2 Z-Wave tstat available and as far as I know neither will control base board heating. Is this need for a single room baseboard system or whole house baseboard system?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the info

I was afraid that might have been the answer. In the long run its for whole house but as that will involve 10+ thermostats I though I would start small.

Are there any alternatives?

Antony

Comment

Why do you need a thermostat?
        Just use something to monitor the temperature - i think there used to be an x-10 unit that would do this, or try the 1 wire approach (multiple sensors all run on a single line, fairly cheap if i remember correctly) Sorry i don't have more info

then use a z-wave appliance module to control the heater, might involve some creative re-wiring to get a plug in-line to get the heater to work.

then all of your "thermostat like" operation could be done from inside homeseer. set a virtual device to "Living room set point" and then if actual temp drops 3 degrees below it kicks on etc.

Comment

I would go with 1-Wire temp sensors in that room and heavy duty appliance modules to throttle the heaters.

~Bill

Comment

for High voltage heater that I set up for a friend's house, we use a regular 24 volt type T-stat (actually an RCS multizone controller) with a relay easily obtained at Grainger, carr supply etc and a 24 VAC transformer. the Tstat energizes the relay coil which will kick in the baseboard heaters, the relays are mounted on rubber grommets below the floor so you dont even hardly hear a click when they come on.

-christopher
            PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

X-10 isn't really an option, tried it when I first got the automation bug and found out the set up here made it very unreliable.. hence using ZWave.

The temp sensors sound like the go, the only drawbacks being the wife factor and manual backup if the server goes phut.

I haven't yet taken one of the existing thermostats apart to figure out the wiring and how they work. Anyone know if there is a way to hook things up to work with an existing manual thermostat?

Thanks for the help so far
              Antony

Comment

the existing manual thermostats are typically high voltage meaning its just a temperature sensitve diaphram that disconnects the 110 (or 220) to the baseboard heater directly... normal every day thermostats are 24 VAC.. meaning they switch voltages of 24 volts AC which in turn kicks on the gas or electric furnace / heatpump etc.

they systrem I installked for a friend in which he could use the computer to control uses an RCS zone xontroller.. typically this would be used for standard system.. however through the use of relays we set it up to control his high voltage baseboard heating..and then designated the T-stat in his living room to be the one to use for the complete separate cooling system in the house. the conbtroller incorporates outputs for Zone dampers.. which we connected each one to a relay that controls a baseboard unit. the heat output terminal is used to control all of the relays collectively so that no zones are energized when the system is in an idle state.. when homeseer PC is up and active itr can talk to the zone controller.. if it goes down the zone controller can live and function on its own with setpoints already in the stats.. or you can manually adjust the stats... this can get a bit procey and does involve some wiring.. and placement of the rleays is crucial so that you dont hear the "Clak!" as they pull in
                -Christopher
                PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Thanks for that info Christopher. These relays what physical size are we talking about?

Antony

Comment

Webpcusa,
                    I just saw these and it looks like you can control the thermostat to switch from the regular to the econo mode with just a 12v source. You have to enter the two temps on the thermostat but at least you could remotely change the mode.
                    http://www.smarthome.com/300603.html
                    http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/300608T.pdf
                    Stuart

Comment

Aube TStats

I've been using Aube TStats for a couple years - they work quite reliably:

http://ubb.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=100975

Comment

Sometimes you just have to wait 10 years or so:

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Stel...tat-P2147.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                          Sometimes you just have to wait 10 years or so:

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Stel...tat-P2147.aspx

Damm! I sold the house because we couldn't control the baseboard heaters!!

Comment

Originally posted by webpcusa View Post
                            Damm! I sold the house because we couldn't control the baseboard heaters!!
                            Buy it back and get some of these!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X