NEWB without a clue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEWB without a clue....

bought the Homeseer software and a z-troller serial with an IP2SL adapter. I can see the adapter on my network, IP is 192.168.1.6 but can't get the software to "See" the Z-Troller. When adding the controller, should I be using the Z-Troller Serial option or the ethernet option? How can I tell what port it's on?

Originally posted by osbornauto View Post
    bought the Homeseer software and a z-troller serial with an IP2SL adapter. I can see the adapter on my network, IP is 192.168.1.6 but can't get the software to "See" the Z-Troller. When adding the controller, should I be using the Z-Troller Serial option or the ethernet option? How can I tell what port it's on?
    Been there done that. Docs for this program are rudamentary t best.

Ethernet is only if you are using it as a Remote zwave controller. If you are using a USB to serial adapter, you can check to see what port it is on by going into the device manager. Look under Serial ports, it will list them all there and give you the com number.

Once you have the com number, go to Setup at the top in blue, then below click on Interfaces, then the first option Is zwave controller. Select ztroller from the drop down box, set the com number, Scroll down and click save.

You should be done now and ready to click Manage

Does this help?
    Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
      If you are using a USB to serial adapter, you can check to see what port it is on by going into the device manager. Look under Serial ports, it will list them all there and give you the com number.

You should be done now and ready to click Manage

Does this help?
      Not getting a "Serial Port" option in the device manager:
      Here are my options
      = Acronis Devices
      = Computer
      = Disk drives
      = Display adapters
      = DVD/CD-ROM drives
      = Human Interface Devices
      = IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
      = IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
      = Imaging devices
      = Keyboards
      = Mice and other pointing devices
      = Monitors
      = Network adapters
      = Processors
      = Sound, video and game controllers
      = Storage controllers
      = System devices
      = Universal Serial Bus controllers

I'm not using a USB to Serial, its an Ethernet to Serial adaptor that I got:
      http://store.homeseer.com/store/IP2S...he-P966C0.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
        If you are using a USB to serial adapter, you can check to see what port it is on by going into the device manager. Look under Serial ports, it will list them all there and give you the com number.
        I'm using an Ethernet to Serial Converter:

I don't have an option for Serial Ports (other than the USB) in the Device Manager.

Comment

Wow... That is odd...

Ok when I plug mine into th win7 box, it pops up with a balloon popup that tells me COM3 and other info. What does yours say when you plug them in?

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

I don't plug anything into the computer, the ethernet to serial adapter plugs into the router and the Z-Troller plugs into it. When I plug the Z-
            troller into the adapter and power it up, nothing shows on the PC screen. You are plugging the Z-Troller into your serial port on the PC. Right?

Comment

Ok, for me, on my Win 7 box, I click on the Windows Start Menu, on the right side, I RIGHT click on "Computer" and choose properties. THen I click on device manager on the upper left and I get "Ports (COM & LPT)" Below "Network" and above "Processors"...

It is odd that you are not getting that.

Comment

Originally posted by osbornauto View Post
                Not getting a "Serial Port" option in the device manager:
                Here are my options
                = Acronis Devices
                = Computer
                = Disk drives
                = Display adapters
                = DVD/CD-ROM drives
                = Human Interface Devices
                = IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
                = IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
                = Imaging devices
                = Keyboards
                = Mice and other pointing devices
                = Monitors
                = Network adapters
                = Processors
                = Sound, video and game controllers
                = Storage controllers
                = System devices
                = Universal Serial Bus controllers

I'm not using a USB to Serial, its an Ethernet to Serial adaptor that I got:
                Did you set up the Global Cache using the Serial Port Redirector or the GC iHelp application?
                Last edited by Uncle Michael; January 19, 2011, 09:14 PM.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Set your Z-Wave Interface to Ethernet - put the IP Address of the IP2SL in the IP Address - and then put 4999 in Network Port - hit save at the bottom of the page if everything is correct the Home ID/# of devices will appear

Comment

I am using a GC W2SL "wifi" to serial adapter and had to first configure the W2SL to communicate on my network and set serial communications configuration (baud rate, parity, etc.). Dont you still need to config the IP2SL device before configuring Zwave interface on HS?? Instructions that came with the GC device were "ok" but not great.

I am plowing through the entire topic of ip/serial interfaces and how to set them up for use over LAN and WAN. If anyone knows of a primer already avaible that would be fantastic!!!

-Ray

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
                      Set your Z-Wave Interface to Ethernet - put the IP Address of the IP2SL in the IP Address - and then put 4999 in Network Port - hit save at the bottom of the page if everything is correct the Home ID/# of devices will appear

Also where did you com up wiht "port 4999"? That has been one of my challenges is to identify proper Ip ports/device.

-Ray

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post

Also where did you com up with "port 4999"? That has been one of my challenges is to identify proper Ip ports/device.

-Ray

Comment

Working...
                        X