Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fibaro motion sensor gen 5 unreliable motion sensor and event trigger

Hi All,

I recently bought three new fibaro motion sensors and a new Aeotec Zwave stick as I wanted to make good use of the Zwave Plus features. I'm still not sure if I have any Zwave Plus Feature that I benefit from but I do have lot's of issues with the new Motion sensors.

I would like to switch the lights on based on motion + luminance being under a minimum threshold.

I have an identical setup with the older version of the fibaro sensors and those work fine but I cannot get the new onese to work properly.

Adding them seems to take multiple attempts (after which 11 of 12 devices are generated). If I rescan the root device I end up with an extra luminance device.

I have attached screenshots for 2 devices. I use both devices to trigger the lights in the kitchen. As you can see, one of the two devices does not seem to report the battery status properly as I have put a fresh battery in the sensor but I know that there is a separate thread about this so I'll leave that issue for later.

In general the motion sensors do seem to register motion (as indicated by the blinking light in the sensor) but the motion is not received by homeseer (nothing in the log). I have also noticed that the devices stay stuck on motion, rendering the devices useless.

I have set parameter 40 to 5 (to force the device to report a luminance change of 5 lux) and that seems to work well. Just the motion detection is unreliable.

I have tested with parameter 3 set to 0 and 1 and that does not seem to make a difference.

I have also deleted the child devices (as suggested in another thread) and rescanned the devices to re-create them but that does not seem to do the trick either.

I am using 3.0.1.87 of the z-wave plugin as I found the beta version to be somewhat unreliable.

Any thoughts how to solve this? Has anyone successfully used the Gen5 motiohn sensors with Homeseer? I don't really want to send these units back as the older sensors work really well with homeseer.
    Attached Files

Dear all. Any suggestions?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk

Comment

Hi,

I have the same issue as you are experiencing. The older version works better. This is what I have done in order to improve the reliability of the Gen5 device.

Do not set the luminence as low as 5 in order to transmit new values, this generates a lot of z-wave traffic. Use 50 or 100 instead.

Disable all association groups except group 1. You will no longer get tamper alarm and motion alarm notifications. Instead you will have to rely on home security. "Motion detected unknown location" will be displayed when you have motion, and "No event" when you have no motion.

I also has disabled tamper mode as that will also generate the "No event" 30s after tamper alarm has been set. (Set parameter 20 to 0)

Hopefully there will be a fix for this, either in the HomeSeer Z-wave plugin or in the firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by cp1983 View Post
        Hi,

I have the same issue as you are experiencing. The older version works better. This is what I have done in order to improve the reliability of the Gen5 device.

Do not set the luminence as low as 5 in order to transmit new values, this generates a lot of z-wave traffic. Use 50 or 100 instead.

Disable all association groups except group 1. You will no longer get tamper alarm and motion alarm notifications. Instead you will have to rely on home security. "Motion detected unknown location" will be displayed when you have motion, and "No event" when you have no motion.

I also has disabled tamper mode as that will also generate the "No event" 30s after tamper alarm has been set. (Set parameter 20 to 0)

Hopefully there will be a fix for this, either in the HomeSeer Z-wave plugin or in the firmware.
        Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it later today and report back [emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by mroovers View Post
          Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it later today and report back [emoji1]

Hi,

Did it help? I which z-wave interface do you have? I am using UZB1 stick.

I find that I have the same issue with the new Gen5 door sensors aswell.

Regards,
          Christian

Comment

Hi,

I just applied the changes to one of the devices to see if it improves performance. So far it looks good. I have a 5th gen Aotec USB Z wave stick and a 1st generation Aeotec USB Z wave stick. The device I updated is controlled by the 5th Gen Aeotec. Will report back any findings in a couple of days but so far, the changes suggested by cp1983 seem to work for me

Comment

I have a couple of Gen5 European Fibaro multi-sensors as well as some older 4.5x based usints and they all work without issue here.

I chose to delete the acceleration and seismic child devices because I don't use them.

The screenshot is from a Gen5 device. I have temperature to report on a change of at least 1C and lux to report on a change >5.

I have groups 1, 2 and 3 associated to HS3 and tamper/motion cancellation set to 1 minute.

All devices update as expected and I don't see any false reports.

One of my Non-Gen5 devices has been running with this config for almost 2 years now on the original battery in a fairly busy room and is reporting 70% battery.

Paul..
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Paul for letting us know that it can work.

Couple of quick questions:
                Did you include it as secure or non-secure?

What kind of interface are you using?

Comment

Thanks Paul for letting us know that it can work.

Couple of quick questions:
                  Did you include it as secure or non-secure?

What kind of interface are you using?
                  The one in the screenshot was included securely.

Not sure what you mean by "What kind of interface are you using?"

Paul..

Comment

Hi Paul,

I also included mine securely. Was planning on maybe removing it again and adding in non-secure.

By interface i mean Z-wave interface connected to your computer or homeseer box. I for instance use UZB1.

Also, another question, what firmware is on your motion sensor?

Firmware of my motion sensors are: 3.2
                    I am using Z-wave Plugin version: 3.0.1.94

One more thing, are you using the motion sensor to control lights in the room?

Comment

My interface is a UZB1 with firmware 5.4
                      My Gen5 multi-sensors are also version 3.2
                      I'm also running Z-Wave 3.0.1.94

Yes I use the motion sensors to control lighting. Not directly by associating the sensor with the light but via Homeseer events.

Response time of the lights is almost instant.

Paul..

Comment

Hi,

Did it help? I which z-wave interface do you have? I am using UZB1 stick.

I find that I have the same issue with the new Gen5 door sensors aswell.

Regards,
                        Christian
                        Hi Christian,

Yes it helped a lot. The device is quite reliable now and triggering the event based on the home security child device works just as well as triggering the event based on motion.
                        BTW I am using version 3.0.1.87 of the z-wave plugin and the firmware of the motion sensors is version 3.2
                        The z-wave USB stick is a new gen Aotec Zwave controller

Comment

A quick update.

Recently changed Parameter 18 from 15 to 0. This disabled secure communication from the motion sensor. Just tested this for a couple of days and it has improved the communication to the Fibaro motion sensor.

Comment

A quick update.

Recently changed Parameter 18 from 15 to 0. This disabled secure communication from the motion sensor. Just tested this for a couple of days and it has improved the communication to the Fibaro motion sensor.
                            I'm thinking this is down to the actual version of the PI - mine started misbehaving with .96 and .97.
                            First it started where it logged most events as sensor covers being opened and closed, then after removing and re-adding, just either the motion or reset were never received. Same with the security device.
                            Resetting parameter 18 to 0 (forcing non-secure for groups 2-5) didn't make much difference, nor removing association groups 3-5. Think I'll roll back the PI to .94 or earlier to see if it can actually process it.

Comment

I have three of these at the moment and i am at the point where i am ready the throw them against the wall.

I get one working fine, then another stops working.
                              I've had one that just would not communicate with HS at all, had to remove the bad nodes, reset the unit and then re-add it (Then reconfigure events and HS Touch Etc.)

Has any one found any better ones ?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X