Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errors on startup, missing db-journal file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errors on startup, missing db-journal file?

For the longest time now when HS3 starts up I see the following in the console:

Code:
    9/12/2017 9:24:23 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~GetConnection error Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db-journal' is denied.

9/12/2017 9:24:23 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~ERROR, Z-Wave Data object 0 failed to be updated or added to the database.
    9/12/2017 9:24:23 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~GetConnection error Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db-journal' is denied.

9/12/2017 9:24:23 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~ERROR, Z-Wave Data object 0 failed to be updated or added to the database.
    9/12/2017 9:24:24 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~GetConnection error Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db-journal' is denied.

9/12/2017 9:24:24 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~ERROR, Z-Wave Data object 0 failed to be updated or added to the database.
    9/12/2017 9:24:25 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~GetConnection error Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db-journal' is denied.

9/12/2017 9:24:25 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~ERROR, Z-Wave Data object 0 failed to be updated or added to the database.
    9/12/2017 9:24:26 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~GetConnection error Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db-journal' is denied.

9/12/2017 9:24:26 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~ERROR, Z-Wave Data object 0 failed to be updated or added to the database.
    9/12/2017 9:24:26 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~GetConnection error Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db-journal' is denied.
    9/12/2017 9:24:26 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~ERROR, Z-Wave Data object 0 failed to be updated or added to the database.
    9/12/2017 9:24:28 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~GetConnection error Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db-journal' is denied.

9/12/2017 9:24:28 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~An attempt to check for Z-Wave Scene (HomeID/Name=DB46E657/ManualScene_5) returned an error.
    9/12/2017 9:24:28 AM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~ERROR, ZWave Scene ManualScene_5 failed to be updated or added to the database.Startup Complete, 15 errors detected, check the log for more information.
    The Z-Wave2.db-journal file doesn't exist. Wondering if it might be a permissions thing, I checked the Data\Z-Wave folders and see that the folder shows up as "Read Only", though the files underneath it aren't. Tried changing that to read/write in case it was the issue, but it jumps back immediately to readonly. However, Homeseer has no problem creating/writing any other files, and everything is otherwise operating correctly. The errors are only on startup, and are just annoying.

Any ideas?

What version of HS3 and the Z-Wave plugin are you running? What hardware are you running HS3 on?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      What version of HS3 and the Z-Wave plugin are you running? What hardware are you running HS3 on?
      HS3 version 3.0.0.357 , though I first noticed it maybe 6 months to a year ago (wild guess) on a variously upgraded versions. It's running on Windows 10, real hardware (no vm).

regards,

Paul

Comment

Does the path to the file exist? How are you starting HS3. Do you see this error if you right click and run HS3 as an administrator?

Comment

Way back in 2014 the journal file issue seemed to crop up with a corrupt DB file. One user shut down Homeseer and deleted the journal file and fixed his issues.

That said you mentioned that you do not have a journal file though.

I have seen other messages posted that even if you do not see the journal file it is relating to a corrupt DB. Thinking the fix was do restore a recent db back file.

I would look at the dates of the back up files. If one isn't present from 6 months ago then a look see at a Homeseer back up you have from 6 months ago.

If you do not have a backup then maybe a repair of the current sqlite DB is in order.

It is a sqlite DB. You can just shut down Homeseer, copy it over to a USB stick and use one of many sqlite tools out there in internetlandia.
          Last edited by Pete; September 14, 2017, 07:20 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Does the path to the file exist? How are you starting HS3. Do you see this error if you right click and run HS3 as an administrator?
            Sure hope the path exists, given that it's the HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave directory. . Yup it exists. I'm starting HS3 via the desktop. Indeed I do still see the error if I run it as Administrator.

regards,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Way back in 2014 the journal file issue seemed to crop up with a corrupt DB file. One user shut down Homeseer and deleted the journal file and fixed his issues.

That said you mentioned that you do not have a journal file though.

I have seen other messages posted that even if you do not see the journal file it is relating to a corrupt DB. Thinking the fix was do restore a recent db back file.

I would look at the dates of the back up files. If one isn't present from 6 months ago then a look see at a Homeseer back up you have from 6 months ago.

If you do not have a backup then maybe a repair of the current sqlite DB is in order.

It is a sqlite DB. You can just shut down Homeseer, copy it over to a USB stick and use one of many sqlite tools out there in internetlandia.
              Unfortunately I don't have a backup old enough to be useful for this issue. Looks like the next step is to go find a tool and check the db then. Many thanks!

Paul

Comment

Make sure you utilize a copy of the database with Homeseer in off mode.

Most if not all sqlite tools allow for a check and repair of a sqlite database.

After repair, shut down Homeseer, rename currently utilized database, copy fixed database over to same subdirectory, rename it back to an hsd file.

Google here on the Homeseer forum for same said issues as other Homeseer users using Windows have done this before.

Note that this is normally not needed as Homeseer typically checks the databases used. That said in the Homeseer 2 days relating to a corrupt access database I did repair it a couple of times over the years.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If the journal file exists shut down HS3 and delete the file and then restart HS3 and it should recreate the file.

Comment

Can you try removing that scene that is in the last 2 line of the logs?
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

If the journal file exists shut down HS3 and delete the file and then restart HS3 and it should recreate the file.
                      Hi Rupp, as mentioned in the initial post, there is no journal file....

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        Can you try removing that scene that is in the last 2 line of the logs?
                        Hmm.... I don't use Z-Wave scenes. When I go to Z-Wave -> Scenes, there are no scenes listed there for me to play with. Is there somewhere else I can look?

Comment

Attach the zipped file to your next post and I will have a look at it.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

In database speak, a journal file is a temporary file that lives only for as long as it takes to complete a transaction. Kind of like how a human might keep a journal to recall where they have been, the journal file allows the database to roll back to a stable state in case a transaction fails to complete for some reason.

See https://sqlite.org/tempfiles.html para. 2.1 - "The rollback journal is usually created when a transaction is first started and is usually deleted when a transaction commits or rolls back."

For error that you are seeing, I'd suspect a permissions problem on the ...\data\Z-Wave folder.

Comment

So you tried right clicking on the HS3 short cut and manually running HS3 as an administrator? This should eliminate any permission issues. Also are you running any anti-virus software that make be locking this file during file scans?

Comment

Working...
                              X