CO/Smoke Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO/Smoke Alarm

I now have 5 First Alert Zwave smoke alarms and I want to keep the event as simple as possible. Rather than have an alert for smoke and another one for CO, I'm considering using values based on the attached table, for example, greater than 1 and less than 3.

How do others do it?
    Attached Files

I have 3 events

1. If ZCombo Notification was set and is not equal to Alarm Heartbeat, then send Emergency Pushover Message with the current status and sound a siren

2. If the notification device is set to Alarm Heartbeat, then start a Timer

3 A 30min recurring event that sends a non-emergency Pushover notification if the Timer has exceeded 70 mins, then resets the counter
    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
      I have 3 events

1. If ZCombo Notification was set and is not equal to Alarm Heartbeat, then send Emergency Pushover Message with the current status and sound a siren

2. If the notification device is set to Alarm Heartbeat, then start a Timer

3 A 30min recurring event that sends a non-emergency Pushover notification if the Timer has exceeded 70 mins, then resets the counter

I am trying to understand the logic of steps 2 and 3? What is the purpose of the whole timer routine?

Comment

Originally posted by mikepetro View Post
        I am trying to understand the logic of steps 2 and 3? What is the purpose of the whole timer routine?
        These devices send out a heartbeat approx every 65mins. Therefore if there hasn't been a heartbeat for say over 70mins, then it might need attention, i.e. new battery. (Z-Wave battery percentage reporting is not very accurate across almost all devices.)

Event 2 restarts a timer every time the heartbeat is received.

Event 3 triggers every 30mins and checks that the timer hasn't exceeded 70mins, then notifies me if it has. You could also use the event trigger "A timers value equals", instead of triggering every 30mins and then checking the value of the timer, but I prefer my way, in case the system is too busy at the exact time the timer reaches the threshold and it misses the trigger. I don't have any evidence to say that would happen, but a recurring timed trigger seems better than a missed one time trigger in a non-emergency situation like this - IMHO.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Ahhh, ok, that makes sense to me now. Thanks....

Comment

This how I decided to put it, into one event with the only acceptable parameters being Alarm Heartbeat and Heartbeat Acknowledged. Anything else should trigger a text message.

You select by the numbers and when you close the line it HS changes it to the words. At this point, I don't know which alarm went off, but I can easily do that if I want. I just need to know that something isn't right.

I plan on refining this to the type of error, emergency or not.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
              I now have 5 First Alert Zwave smoke alarms and I want to keep the event as simple as possible. Rather than have an alert for smoke and another one for CO, I'm considering using values based on the attached table, for example, greater than 1 and less than 3.

How do others do it?
              Racerfern do they sell those smoke/co for 120VAC powered with battery backup and have interconnect feature? My house is due to replace all the smoke detectors and I might like to try these.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
                Racerfern do they sell those smoke/co for 120VAC powered with battery backup and have interconnect feature?
                I have never seen a 120v unit that is also z-wave. Search their website and you can confirm for yourself. FWIW, the batteries probably last two years. My original is just over a year old and still shows 87%.

The only thing I can think MIGHT work is to link them in HS. Other than that, I have a separate alarm device which the event will activate if it's a critical thing, like fire as opposed to a battery going low.

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
                  Racerfern do they sell those smoke/co for 120VAC powered with battery backup and have interconnect feature? My house is due to replace all the smoke detectors and I might like to try these.

Will
                  If you are replacing all of your detectors and you want to stay with standard interconnected one rather than going with Nest Protect wired version. Or you want to add auxiliary devices then go with Kidde. I have all Kidde on our interconnected system and I have it wired into the HS3 system.

Easy to do and I wrote a HowTo guide for integrating the Smoke and CO detectors into HomSeer. You can fine it here. Remember you need a true interconnected system which is connected together with 14/3 cable ( Black, White, Red and Ground).
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                  Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                  Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                  3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                  4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                  3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                  SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

I have the Kidde 1275 units that are truly interconnected but unfortunately expired. I should have replaced them last year. I do have the interconnect circuit pick a rib relay and report it to my Elk M1G as a fire zone so I may just go back to the same setup with a few of them combo CO/Smoke.

I'll look into the Zwave combo's as a possible add one for each floor.

Thank guys

Comment

I see several zwave CO2/Smoke detectors on Amazon. Just wondering what the best one is that works well with homeseer hs3? Thanks much !!!!! Rick

Comment

I use these and they work great with HS3.
                        https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-Z...oke%2Fco+alarm
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

+1 for the @rupp recommendation. I have five and I'm waiting for them to go on super low sale again. Last time they were $26.54!

Comment

An alternative to the z-wave Smoke/CO detectors (which I have also) is a neat little unit by Ecolink. If you prefer to keep the interconnect system in your home and only replace the existing smoke/co detectors that are pre-wired you can use this little gem. They say if you place it within 6 in of any of the wired detectors it will send a signal to HS if the wired one goes off. As everyone knows since they are wired together if one goes off they all go off. So placing it next to any one of them will work and you only need one!

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pro...audio-detector

But the z-wave detectors are great too.

Comment

Im workin on my kids bedroom.. repaint..etc.. and he is missing a smoke detector and its hard wired. Im going to buy a cheap one for that but does rupp recommended one do hardwire or battery only? I had 2x ge concord alarm smokes but wife threw one out. They are integrated into hs and i thought of buying more of them...so its alarm plugin style or zwave. Gotta decide... ok im getting the stinkeye from wife on my phone in home depot
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                              X