LED strip light - backlight illumination of stain glass window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED strip light - backlight illumination of stain glass window

Here is an interesting HS3 project I am working on.

Many years ago, I remodeled the upstairs bedroom and added a closet with a transom above the closet door. My intention was to add some decorative glass. But it never happened. Last Christmas my daughter gave us a gift certificate for a piece of custom stained glass designed by a local artist. So we had a 15x30" stained glass window made for the transom. During the process, I decided to backlight the window because there would be no natural lighting behind the glass. My plan was to use white LEDs around the inside perimeter of the window. This would provide backlighting when the closet door was closed.

After a bit of Internet research I decided to try LED strip lights with adhesive backing. On Amazon Prime day, I found a RGB strip light kit from LEDMO. I ordered 2 (about $20 each) to try. My thought was to adjust to LED color to make the stained glass look as good as possible.

When the LED strip light arrived, I did some experiments and discovered that I could use the controller included with the lights to easily change the backlight color. The kit included a small IR remote that controlled the LED strip light. After a bit more experimentation I discovered that I could use my USBUIRT and HS3 to learn the control codes and I could control the LEDs with HS3.

I already have my home theater controlled via The USBUIRT. I use x10 "Pyramids" to send IR signals wirelessly to other rooms. Since I already had an extra x10 IR receiver, I set it up inside the closet to send IR signals to the LED strip light controller. I then created a few HS3 events to send on/off commands to the lights.

This works great. I now have a fully automated backlighting system for the transom window.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit
Working...
X