Wi-Fi (Cloud) vs Z-Wave Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi (Cloud) vs Z-Wave Thermostat

Hello I've been trying to figure out the difference or feature that will take me to buy one or the other. And this is my simple logic behind it, please tell me what you guys think

In one corner the Nest type Thermostats, all require Cloud + PlugIn to connect to HS While a Z-Wave will connect straight to HS. Correct?

So With the Powerful Event AI from HS wouldn't a simple GoControl plus Temperature Sensors around the House wont do the same and even more than a simple Nest, and work even if the Cable goes out?

I already have Events for Vacation - Away and @Home so, I think adding the Thermostat to it, will just do more than Nest or the others do.

Am I wrong here?

To me, the Price Tag of the Cloud based ones, is not logical when I already have a Software like HS that does even more, and can be controlled all via Google Home via voice Commands or the HS Touch app.

Please HELP!!!! ;-)

PS I said GoCOntrol because is the Cheapest there, if you guys think is not reliable enough then I would appreciate a suggestion as well for ether way you think is best. (Thanks Again, and Happy Thanksgiving since is that time of the year)
    Last edited by sirexilon; November 22, 2017, 05:13 PM.

if you guys think is not reliable enough then I would appreciate a suggestion as well for ether way you think is best.
    I have been using the Trane Zwave thermostat for about five years without any problems. I even use the thermostat temperature reading to control my gas fire place logs. I can say that the Trane thermostat is solid as a rock and integrates with HS well.

Bob

Comment

I too use a Trane Z-wave stat and it is 100% solid. My whole feeling is that I want to minimize cloud requirements especially on critical devices like stats.

So yes, you are correct to conclude HS plus a dependable local stat would be better than a cloud based one and if you wanted to, you could integrate high intelligence with HS and some temp sensors. Of course, that's my personal old-school opinion.

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        I too use a Trane Z-wave stat and it is 100% solid. My whole feeling is that I want to minimize cloud requirements especially on critical devices like stats.

So yes, you are correct to conclude HS plus a dependable local stat would be better than a cloud based one and if you wanted to, you could integrate high intelligence with HS and some temp sensors. Of course, that's my personal old-school opinion.

Robert
        Yes, I agree, I too don't want to be Cloud Dependent.
        What Trane you guys use?

Comment

What Trane you guys use?
          The model that I am using at my house is no longer produced but I installed one at the 911 Center that is a current model and it works good also. Sell below link.

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=23358472198

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
            The model that I am using at my house is no longer produced but I installed one at the 911 Center that is a current model and it works good also. Sell below link.

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=23358472198
            I was looking at that one or this, https://www.trane.com/residential/d/...ols/xl824.html

But it mentions Nexia, so I don't see anywhere about Z-wave.

Can I ask you what Temp Sensor you use? I bought this https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=20303592838

But they are slow to react, or my HS is, and I checked with the Z wave tool and communication is good, Have them powered also and no real change.

Thanks for you input BTW.

Comment

I was looking at that one or this, https://www.trane.com/residential/d/...ols/xl824.html

But it mentions Nexia, so I don't see anywhere about Z-wave.

Can I ask you what Temp Sensor you use? I bought this https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=20303592838

But they are slow to react, or my HS is, and I checked with the Z wave tool and communication is good, Have them powered also and no real change.

Thanks for you input BTW.
              The Trane thermostat that you listed above appears to be either Wifi or zigbee but not Zwave.

I am using the temperature reading on the Trane thermostat as my sensor. Also the multi-sensor you referenced above can be configured to report faster if you desire. Select the sensor root device from the Devices Screen and go to the Zwave tab. Expand settings and change the Automatic Report rate to report more frequently. Mine are set at 60 seconds.

Bob

Comment

The dependency of using the cloud is not really a plus for a thermostat here (it can be low on the WAF).

That said I am legacy here using a serially connected thermostat with new features on it like locally connected remote temperature sensors (you can average them if you want) and remote connected temperature / humidity sensors.

Mostly just watch and never touch the thermostat - it does lite up when I walk past it.

Most energy utilized in a home today is relating to heating or cooling the home.

Many years ago a friend who owned an HVAC company stated that your goal should be heating your home with the energy of a candle and cooling it with an ice cube.

All this stuff refers to the infrastructure of the home.

The speed of heating or cooling the home is very dependant on the infrastructure and what type of heating or cooling you are doing.

Wi-Fi (Cloud) vs Z-Wave Thermostat?

I concur with Bob's recommendation on the ZWave Trane Thermostat mentioned above.
                Last edited by Pete; November 24, 2017, 11:00 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The Trane thermostat that you listed above appears to be either Wifi or zigbee but not Zwave.

I am using the temperature reading on the Trane thermostat as my sensor. Also the multi-sensor you referenced above can be configured to report faster if you desire. Select the sensor root device from the Devices Screen and go to the Zwave tab. Expand settings and change the Automatic Report rate to report more frequently. Mine are set at 60 seconds.

Bob
                  Yeah sorry I paste the Wrong link had 4 of them open, my Bad. I bought the same you showed, but found a good Black Friday deal at $49 ;-)

The sensor, Temp is refreshing Ok, I couldn't change it while I had them on Battery but since they are Plugged in they work fine. The problem is Reacting to movement, and turning on lights there's a big delay, and I can't find why, since communication looks good int he Z-wave tool.

But that is a different topic. I guess for another thread. ;-(

Comment

The problem is Reacting to movement, and turning on lights there's a big delay, and I can't find why, since communication looks good int he Z-wave tool.

Set parameter No 5 (1 byte) to 2. This should cure the delay problem.

Bob

Comment

Bob
                      Oh I will try that. Awesome, thanks!!

And I got the Trane 524 it is Z-Wave, it mentions Nexia, but it should work with any ZWave controller correct? or should I return it . TZEMT524 is the full name.

Comment

And I got the Trane 524 it is Z-Wave, it mentions Nexia, but it should work with any ZWave controller correct? or should I return it . TZEMT524 is the full name.
                        It should work fine.

Bob

Comment

Bob
                          OK this is how it looks now.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The only item that I have configured differently is the "Automatic report rate for Group 1". You have 1800 seconds which is 30 minutes and I have mine set to 60 seconds. Anyway, it should work better for you with Parameter 5 set.

Bob

Comment

Hi,

I was in your same situation, I had bought 2 ecobee amd sold them, then I bought zwave thermostats and love them.

No issue with them, they work and report temps, etc.

The less I depend on the cloud the better!

You are going in a good direction in my opinion.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X