homeseer and Alexa for microphone and playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homeseer and Alexa for microphone and playback

I have one echo dot. I see that the echo dot can control homeseer. I also see that homeseer has built in voice recognition. my question is, is it possible to have the echo dot be used as the microphone input and audio output for the homeseer voice recognition? I would like to create my own attension phrase, etc. But I can't run all new microphone cables through my house.

So can homeseer use 4 seperate echo dot devices as microphones, or are there wifi microphones I could use, etc?

Yes you can!

We have 10 Alexa devices of various flavors all around the house. Use them to turn stuff on and off every day. Works very well. Way better than HS's voice recognition ever did.....

Comment

Originally posted by jjohnston View Post
      I have one echo dot. I see that the echo dot can control homeseer. I also see that homeseer has built in voice recognition. my question is, is it possible to have the echo dot be used as the microphone input and audio output for the homeseer voice recognition? I would like to create my own attension phrase, etc. But I can't run all new microphone cables through my house.

So can homeseer use 4 seperate echo dot devices as microphones, or are there wifi microphones I could use, etc?
      You can use the Echo instead of HS VR. There's currently no way to use an Echo as the microphone input for Homeseer. Personally I've found that Amazon's voice recognition is much better anyway and that's after several years of using HS. For stuff that isn't as simple as turning stuff off and on, adjusting the thermostat or locking doors I would say look into Jon00's Alexa script. It's awesome. Of course the downside to it (and one of your questions) is that you won't be able to change the wake word like you can with Homeseer.

Comment

If you have an Alexa device then use the built in VR functionality as this is much better than the Microsoft voice recognition that HS3 piggy backs off of.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll probably just get a bunch of alexas. But just for my curiosity. If someone were to install dragon speech software, could homeseer use that instead of the built in microsoft? and would that make things any better?

Comment

If someone were to install dragon speech software, could homeseer use that instead of the built in microsoft? and would that make things any better?

no.

That said the first version of Homeseer was written to work with Microsoft SAPI text to speech and VR. Microsoft SAPI Version 1 worked with Windows 95. It was a PITA to train it.

Fast forward to today and Windows 10. Much easier and faster to train it. Much or most of the updates to Windows 10 revolve around Cortana.

Here while I utilize the Amazon Echo(s) continue to utilize Microsoft SAPI. Microsoft SAPI does not require the internet to work. Over the years here have collected a variety of SAPI voice fonts.

Below there is a MS Kinect plugin which allows you to also utilize gesturing (plus VR). I tested it and it works great. (purchased a bunch of Kinects for that purpose).

Here running the Homeseer SAPI application called speaker dot exe on a Wintel VB which is running on my Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit box which is running Homeseer 3.

My touch clients here are all running Windows embedded and MS SAPI with a variety of voice fonts and have done well over the years.

The above said give MS SAPI for Windows 10 a try. I think you will enjoy running it.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by jjohnston View Post
              Thanks everyone! I'll probably just get a bunch of alexas. But just for my curiosity. If someone were to install dragon speech software, could homeseer use that instead of the built in microsoft? and would that make things any better?
              No, HS3's built in VR is built on Microsoft's offerings.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
              X