What are the advantages of scenes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the advantages of scenes?

What advantage does a scene have over running an event via a virtual device? I find the phrasing to run a scene cumbersome. Am I missing something? Are people using routines to create more natural phrasing to run a scene? How is this better than using a routine to run an virtual device that triggers an event in homeseer?

I think it would be interesting for folks to share how they use and implement scenes...

Inquiring minds.....

Devoie

Comment

I finally got it. If you create an event and enable it as a scene, you can then use that in a routine to create a more natural way of controlling devices.

Created an event mute tv that runs a Global cache IR command to mute the television, enabled it as a scene, then created a routine called mute the tv. Now I can say Alexa, mute the tv. Before I needed to say Alexa turn on mute tv, and Alexa would get confused and mute herself.

Now I have bunch of them - turn the tv volume down - turn the tv volume up, turn the tv to Laugh (I have a dish receiver but Alexa does not understand turn to LAFF on Dish, she must be looking for channel called LAUGH).

Comment

With regards to your volume up, when you use the volume up scene, it must only increment the volume by one step right or how do you handle that you want it to increase by say 5 steps?

I use Jon's Alexa helper and created a script to accept the input count as an integer to then increase the volume by that amount.
        I would say, Alexa, tell Leena to increase the volume by 4 for example, then it just instructs HS to loop 4 times through the increase volume function.
        I too use a GC IR blaster for that.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I have a different event that runs the volume up three time, turned that into a scene and invoke it with the routine make the tv much louder. The equivalent is alexa silence to turn the tv down 10 times

Comment

I am trying to come up with routine invocations that emulate normal speech. So I have created a couple of routines that do the same thing but use different invocation.

Comment

Working...
            X