Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your coolest, favorite, or most approved Home Automation event/rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
    For the weather, I use weatherxml plugin and just look at the condition. I have different conditions to trigger different "house modes" Light weather is just partly cloudy and turns on the under cabinet lights in the kitchen. Heavy weather is mostly cloudy and rain and that turns on some extra lights in the living room. I also add in delays of how long things need to be at a certain condition before changing back to normal, meaning if I went to heavy weather, I wait an hour after conditions changed to change back to a day condition. I do this to keep the lights from just turning on and off because the condition changes so quickly sometimes.

As far as the doorbell, I wrote up what I did at this link:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178869
    Cool, lots of neat stuff in that weatherxml plugin. I think I see how to do a similar thing to you now. Thanks!

On the other hand, the doorbell thing may be a bit beyond me. I'm less of a tinkerer on hardware and software. Would a dry contact sensor see a doorbell ring? I just want to know it's happened, not so much to intercept it and control it. Honestly, I don't even know where any of that wiring is. Looks like your is connected to / co-located with your furnace?

Comment

I have seen some people have success using a door/window sensor inside the doorbell chime itself. It's just a little solenoid that activates a plunger to "ding" the bell. Since this is magnetic and the door/window sensors work with magnetics... if you place it properly in there, that should be able to work for a trigger

Comment

Lately I've been enjoying some "monitoring" of how long things run throughout the day. The most recent is how long our son is on the computer. I used Jon00's scripts (RCCNM and Tray Control) to monitor when the computer is up and when the keyboard/mouse are active. I use this to start/stop a timer which resets at midnight. Before it resets it stores the current value in a virtual device so that we can see the next day how much it was used. We are going to use this to see if we need to intervene with how much he uses it or if we are ok with it.

I also do the same thing for our Nest. I know that Nest does this for you, but I can't see an ongoing tally for the day. Of course, knowing that the A/C is running for 12 hours (actual on time) during these hot Florida summer days is really kinda bumming me out...LOL

I also have started using the "activity" monitoring of the kids' computer to put it to sleep after 15 minutes of no activity. For some reason the built in windows sleep timer doesn't always work and it can stay on for days with no one using it.

And finally I've started using the computer monitoring in my office to detect when I'm in there. I use a combination of Jon00s plugins, PlexMonitor, and a motion sensor to determine if I'm in there and when things can turn off automatically. I don't currently have them turning on automatically cause people sometimes walk into my office to get something and I don't need stuff turning on/off all day (computers, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
          Lately I've been enjoying some "monitoring" of how long things run throughout the day. The most recent is how long our son is on the computer. I used Jon00's scripts (RCCNM and Tray Control) to monitor when the computer is up and when the keyboard/mouse are active. I use this to start/stop a timer which resets at midnight. Before it resets it stores the current value in a virtual device so that we can see the next day how much it was used. We are going to use this to see if we need to intervene with how much he uses it or if we are ok with it.

I also do the same thing for our Nest. I know that Nest does this for you, but I can't see an ongoing tally for the day. Of course, knowing that the A/C is running for 12 hours (actual on time) during these hot Florida summer days is really kinda bumming me out...LOL

I also have started using the "activity" monitoring of the kids' computer to put it to sleep after 15 minutes of no activity. For some reason the built in windows sleep timer doesn't always work and it can stay on for days with no one using it.

And finally I've started using the computer monitoring in my office to detect when I'm in there. I use a combination of Jon00s plugins, PlexMonitor, and a motion sensor to determine if I'm in there and when things can turn off automatically. I don't currently have them turning on automatically cause people sometimes walk into my office to get something and I don't need stuff turning on/off all day (computers, etc).
          I'm using timers to track HVAC, pool pump, attic fans, etc. I write all the data out to a file every night. But haven't had a chance to sit down and evaluate the data yet [emoji20]

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            My current favourite that goes down well is that my alarm clock is pulled from a calendar on a Google Calendar. It then sets the Sonos speakers to an alarm if the alarm goes off, that is fairly standard stuff.

At the same time the alarm hits the location of my place of work hits the Bing Maps API, it then pulls off a route and a time for this route. If it is over a specified amount of time (35 mins) then I light up a hidden LED red that I will see when I wake up and that gives me a tell tale sign to pick another route or spend less time in the shower.

I could reverse the two and set the wake up on the back of the commute time but not sure I trust my VB that much!
            Mrhappy, that is really cool, could you please share the script that check for traffic?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife's favourite is when she comes home at night and opens the door from the garage all the internal lights turn on.

My favourite is monitoring the solar power production, and the grid import/export, and turning the pool pump on when exporting and off when importing. I also historize the power consumption of the house and have a chart generated of past 24h available in hstouch.

phlocation is pretty cool too - alerts me when leaving the house that I've left a door or garage open. Alerts me when the wife is almost home from work so I can have dinner ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
                Some of my (and wife's) favorites are:

4. Brighten front porch light if someone steps onto porch - Simple motion sensor and event to provide additional lighting to identify people at night or to provide better visibility for us to unlock the door when we return to the house.

Regards,
                Vector
                Here's an idea (in case you aren't doing it). I do the same thing as your #4, but I found that I didn't like when I walked out the front door at night that it would take a second or two to turn on the lights. So, now, using my door sensor, when you open the front door, if the porch lights are not full on, it turns them on for you.

Comment

For me

I would say having gel fencing tied to my phone, when I leave the house I never need to bother worrying if lights or tv or air is set, when Hs detects my phone has left the house it turns off all lights, raises the temp a few degrees and makes sure tvs and computer monitors are off, if even sends a lock signal to my computer to lock the screen should someone try to use it.

On leaving work the same gel fence on my phone tells Hs to turn back down the ac so it's at the right temp when I get home
                  detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

For me the latest project is always the coolest project...I am putting things away in the shed in order to get ready for winter and to declutter the garage of summer use things. I have an OOOOOLD riding mower that I park in the shed during the summer and it doesn't have a way to charge up the starting battery (it's old...). So I had a 7w solar panel that I had put on the shed to feed a small trickle charge to the mower battery during the summer and it kept the battery topped up all last winter, it started up no problem in the spring. So this fall I decided to put the riding mower in the garage, which now renders the solar panel useless for the winter. So yesterday I wired a pair of 12v batteries (two 16aH batteries) and tied them to the solar panel in the shed. Then I used an extra MIMOlite to be powered from the battery and added to the z-wave network. Now I am going to tie a DSC motion sensor to monitor the shed for motion as well as use the relay output to turn on an LED strip light. The LED's will only be able to be turned on with HSTouch and will only stay on if there is motion + 5 minutes.

The amorphous solar panel can put out a maximum of 7W under full sun, while the MIMOlite draws 8.6W/day. I am guessing it'll creep up a bit higher once the DSC motion sensor is wired in and the LED light use will be intermittent at best. For reference sake the MIMOlite pulls 0.36W at idle and 0.99W when the relay is turned on. Probably more efficient to use a mosfet or sometime similar, but the LED use will be very limited so the 7W panel will be more than enough to top up the battery bank.

Comment

I created a neat one last night for Halloween. I had some speakers pulled out from the garage to face towards the house. To get to the front door of our house you have to go between the house and garage, so we have all our outside lights on. I created a virtual device to tie all the outside lights together, to toggle on and off. So once someone got close to the front step I would cut the outside lights and then with RDP to the shop computer I would play some scary sound effects; dog growling, knife sharpening, chain saw firing up etc...then after a second or two kick all the lights back on. Heard a lot of screams last night!

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                        For the weather, I use weatherxml plugin and just look at the condition. I have different conditions to trigger different "house modes" Light weather is just partly cloudy and turns on the under cabinet lights in the kitchen. Heavy weather is mostly cloudy and rain and that turns on some extra lights in the living room. I also add in delays of how long things need to be at a certain condition before changing back to normal, meaning if I went to heavy weather, I wait an hour after conditions changed to change back to a day condition. I do this to keep the lights from just turning on and off because the condition changes so quickly sometimes.

As far as the doorbell, I wrote up what I did at this link:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178869

I use an Aeon light sensor to trigger lighting in response to weather. When cloud cover comes, lights near windows are turned on. Same at dusk.

Another: A good night event turns off the entertainment equipment (Global Cache), brightens lights in the master bedroom for reading and activates a virtual. With the virtual triggered, when you enter the bathroom to get ready for bed, a motion detector sees you and everything except master bedroom and kitchen lights are extinguished. Part 3 is you tell HS Lights Out and everything is turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah... now with Alexa, I tell her to turn on the heating blanket about 30 minutes before we go to bed. My cutie likes a nice warm bed to get into since she also likes the bedroom windows open - very high WAF on this one.
                          Then when we are ready to go to bed, I just tell Alexa "good night" and with the help of Jon's script running an event, she then turns on the master bedroom light and after 5 minutes, turns off the inside lights. The heating blanket turns off after being on an hour as well...

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I love tea!

I drink tea every day -- iced in the summer and hot in the winter. I've used an insta-hot for several years. Turning it on, and remembering to turn it off, was such a burden. So, I figured that it would be a great task for my HomeTroller. And, it's nice to have it ready when I get home.

I'll explain it here, for someone that would like to do it. Be aware that I work second shift (get home about 11:45pm), which determined the times.

I control it with a switch; this way, I can turn it on manually. I turned off polling (because its state doesn't matter [except for 1 time of the day], and it cuts down on the z-wave network traffic). I set up 4 events to control it.

The first event is to poll the switch, which happens at 10:55pm.

The second event is to turn it OFF, which happens at 11:05pm.

The third event (shown below) turns it ON. Note the conditions: only on weekdays, and only if it was off when polled.

The fourth event (shown below) turns it OFF (work days).

The rationale for all this was to account for weekends and days that I have off. For those days, I just have to turn it on by the poll time (10:55pm) and leave it on; then, it will skip the work day on routine.
                            Attached Files

Comment

My personal favorite is something I've wanted since I started with home automation but have just recently implemented. Now that I've started switching to the homeseer WD100+ dimmers I use the instant status to adjust the light level on the fly. During the day, when I manually control a switch, the lights come up to 100%, after 9:30pm they only come up to 30%.
                              HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                              Number of Devices: 1005
                              Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

jmaddox. how did you achieve this.....I have issues when trying this with my 3 way and 4 way setups using cooper RF aspire zwave capable lights.. When I have tried creating an event where I state between 9pm and 6am if light switch had device change and greater than dim 1 percent then turn on to 30 percent brightness....but then the lights go into a seizure mode where they turn on and off till I restart homeseer

Comment

Working...
                                X