Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer SmartHome Skill (Alexa Version 3 API)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
    For you table light just shange your voice command to bedroom table light.

What you should be able to do is create a bedrom group with your table light and the bedroom dot called bedroom - and say turn on the bedroom lights from any device or lights on from your bedroom.
    Won't work as i need it. There are more lights in the bedroom (or any other room) than one and i dont need to turn them all on.

I have 3 children's rooms, and they all have 3 lights. 1 main light in the ceiling, 1 bedside light and one table light.
    They should all be able to have those names in each of the children's room.
    so i could easy end of having like 5 table lights all called 'Table Light'.
    So one could say Alexa, turn on bedside light or table light or just 'turn on light' for the main light.
    It is stupid to stay in a room and have to say that rooms name when calling a light. That is what a room assignment of the Echo should do.

I dont want the 'tell homeseer' skill and i want to be able to only use one room assignment in HS.

Comment

Originally posted by ldplusse View Post
      Won't work as i need it. There are more lights in the bedroom (or any other room) than one and i dont need to turn them all on.

I have 3 children's rooms, and they all have 3 lights. 1 main light in the ceiling, 1 bedside light and one table light.
      They should all be able to have those names in each of the children's room.
      so i could easy end of having like 5 table lights all called 'Table Light'.
      So one could say Alexa, turn on bedside light or table light or just 'turn on light' for the main light.
      It is stupid to stay in a room and have to say that rooms name when calling a light. That is what a room assignment of the Echo should do.

I dont want the 'tell homeseer' skill and i want to be able to only use one room assignment in HS.
      Alexa needs (and doesn't have as far as I know) a fan-out capability where it first looks for the named device within the group associated to the Alex device hearing the command, and then a fans-out to the rest of the account's devices if it doesn't find one in the local group.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
        I'm sorry but I'm not quite following what you want it to do. Is it you want to say "turn on the table light" and only have "table light" in that group turn on if you have multiple devices named "table light" in multiple groups? For example a table light in every bedroom.
        You are correct. I would like a 'Table Light' in every room.
        If i am in the room i want to turn on, then i should say 'Alexa, turn on table light' if i need to turn on a table light in the room 'Victor' and i am in the kitchen, then i would need to say 'Alexa, turn on victor table light' instead.

This is the only behavior that is natural.

Comment

How do you group devices to an alexa? Ie. so you can be in the living room and just say alexa, turn on the light?
          -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
          Way2 Call
          Elk M1 Gold
          UPB HAI switches
          HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Alexa needs (and doesn't have as far as I know) a fan-out capability where it first looks for the named device within the group associated to the Alex device hearing the command, and then a fans-out to the rest of the account's devices if it doesn't find one in the local group.
            Not sure what 'fan-out' means, english i not my native language.
            But what you say, sounds right.

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
              How do you group devices to an alexa? Ie. so you can be in the living room and just say alexa, turn on the light?
              That what I would like to know also.
              Hector
              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                  That what I would like to know also.

Create a group in the Alexa app. Add the HS devices as well as the Alexa device in that room to the group. Under the group name when you are done it should say "Alexa enabled."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is Alexa working tonight? I installed the new skill and now nothing is discovering. The alexa app says server not responding.

I did install the latest beta.
                    -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
                    Way2 Call
                    Elk M1 Gold
                    UPB HAI switches
                    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Create a group in the Alexa app. Add the HS devices as well as the Alexa device in that room to the group. Under the group name when you are done it should say "Alexa enabled."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I have done that, and it say "Alexa enable" if I say bedroom light it will turn on. But if I say "lights on" it will not work. And it only has One device n the group.
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                        I have done that, and it say "Alexa enable" if I say bedroom light it will turn on. But if I say "lights on" it will not work. And it only has One device n the group.
                        What does the icon of the device look like? Is it a light bulb or a wall-plate & switch? If it is a wall plate you still need to turn on the "Is Light" flag on the device in HomeSeer and rediscover your devices. You want to see the light bulb icon for this to work. I think Rich said you need to be on build .398 or later for all of this to work.

Comment

Trying to help clear the fog. It seems that quite a few folks are trying this and having some challenges. Looks like Rich has provided updated info at https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180033/

Alexa will see HomeSeer (via myHS cloud - cloud service requirement by Amazon) as a glorified Smart Home hub. All of this only will support the API classes supported by the union of Alexa and HomeSeer. Keeping in mind that there are limitations to what can be done at the moment as Amazon is early in this stage and the solution is limited. The new solution that HST provided is in support of the Smart Home technology that was designed by Amazon. How one manages the devices that were presented by the smart home hub(s) (Amazon/Alexa allow there to be more than one hub (HomeSeer, Phillips Hue, etc)) is all under the control of the Amazon Alexa APP/Web/technology. I presume that Amazon has more feature rich documentation in terms of management of devices on their end. Granted, if HomeSeer does not send the device information then ultimately it could be an issue under control of HST support. I think that Rich had included some helpful diagnostic information in terms of enabling HomeSeer JSON debug information somewhere on this board.

Note: Alexa pulls the device information from HS3 via the JSON technology and via the myHS cloud. That is my understanding at this point - it could be incorrect.

Originally posted by RJH
                          In the meantime, if the V3 skill is not showing any devices, can you try this. It might give a clue.

From the tools menu select the Control Panel. In the text box enter:

&hs.debugmode=2048

This enables JSON logging. Now go into your Alexa app and discover your devices again. See if you see some JSON requests in the log like "getstatus". If you do, we know your account is linked to the proper skill and we can see how many devices it found. If the devices are listed there, then we know the skill itself is having an issue processing them.
                          If you require a more mature and subjectively more open solution, then look at Jon00's Alexa Helper - keeping in mind that you will need to create an Amazon Developer account using your own skill definition and then use the invocation word "Alexa, tell {name of the skill} {command sequence}". This again is a design limitation imposed by Amazon. This is more of an advanced skill level type of project, but you will learn a lot in terms of the underlying layers of Alexa!

This is the baseline of how this functionality is being created. It has only been available for the past two to three days and will get better once HST is able to react to the initial bulk of issues that have been discovered outside of the initial testing that was done.
                          Last edited by Krumpy; January 22, 2018, 11:59 PM.
                          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

What does the icon of the device look like? Is it a light bulb or a wall-plate & switch? If it is a wall plate you still need to turn on the "Is Light" flag on the device in HomeSeer and rediscover your devices. You want to see the light bulb icon for this to work. I think Rich said you need to be on build .398 or later for all of this to work.
                            Thank you sir for your explanation, that did work. Do you know by any chance how are events triggered?
                            Hector
                            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Under v3 I have lost the ability to Dim my lighting, I thought I saw a comment a few days back to rectify this but couldn't find it again. Alexa says "ok" to the dim request but the light just snaps to "on" even thought the control use settings are setup. What might the difference between v2 and v3 be for those setting aside from the "Is Light" selection? The "Is Dimmable" field is unticked and grayed out.

Looks like other people are having this issue, not sure if the plugin that created the devices (for me, Omni) needs to be updated:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1346144

-Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Daweeze View Post
                                Under v3 I have lost the ability to Dim my lighting, I thought I saw a comment a few days back to rectify this but couldn't find it again. Alexa says "ok" to the dim request but the light just snaps to "on" even thought the control use settings are setup. What might the difference between v2 and v3 be for those setting aside from the "Is Light" selection? The "Is Dimmable" field is unticked and grayed out.

Looks like other people are having this issue, not sure if the plugin that created the devices (for me, Omni) needs to be updated:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1346144

-Travis
                                Travis - I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if I need to modify device creation to support.
                                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
                                X