Analog Camera System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analog Camera System

Ok, so I bought a house with Analog Cameras (I think). They all have BNC Terminated Cables. That means they're Analog right? Anyways, they're Honeywell HB75H Cameras, and a Speco Technologies DVR8TL/160 DVR that I don't think can send a webstream to HSTouch. What do I need to do to get integrated with Homeseer? All of the cables come into the cabinet, so a Converter/Controller may be better than replacing all of the cameras. I definitely think I need to replace the DVR as it looks ancient, and one of the camera's sector on the hard drive is apparently bad as it can't record, and a google search says I need a new hard drive. So, Ideas?

That means they're Analog right?

yes

You can purchase a used Axis 2400 server which will take the analogue and convert it to IP (4 streams). You can find these used today on Ebay for around $50. They are made to last forever. I use one here and mix my analogue and IP HD cameras.

You can then connect a digital DVR like maybe using software like blue iris.

Later on if you want to convert to HD IP you can put the digital IP stream on the coax cable using a converter.

Here customized my IP camera builds using camera boards / Speco housings / Grandstream IP HD cams / Optex combo cams / Zoneminder (best Linux based CCTV software).

There is a bunch of new DTV coax to IP converters on Amazon for around $15 in pairs. I purchased one to test and they work well.

Last edited by Pete; November 24, 2016, 08:54 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete. I just now happened on this post as I forgot to 'Subscribe' when I posted this originally. I keep thinking; if I create a Post, I should automatically be subscribed to it. Anyways, is there any single boxes that do the converting, DVR and IP streaming? I'll need an I5 PC at least to run Blue Iris from what I understand. I guess I don't need a monitor, so I really don't need a Laptop. I haven't really researched Mini PC's, so it may not be all that expensive.
      Later on if you want to convert to HD IP you can put the digital IP stream on the coax cable using a converter.

Here customized my IP camera builds using camera boards / Speco housings / Grandstream IP HD cams / Optex combo cams / Zoneminder (best Linux based CCTV software).
      Is your HD converting incorporated inside the camera housing? Is Zoneminder a software running on a PC like BlueIris?

Comment

Is your HD converting incorporated inside the camera housing?

It is direct via HD IP cameras and indirect via the Axis 2400 and currently using Zoneminder for all of the cameras.

I using a Grandstream encoder / decoder too.

Before using the Axis Server I was using an 8 chip analogue CCTV card in the Zoneminder server.

Camsecure CCTV

Is Zoneminder a software running on a PC like BlueIris?

Yes Zoneminder is running on Ubuntu Server 16.04 64 bit.

BTW you can get a 4-8 channel analogue camera CCTV recorder on Ebay for less than $100 USD.

Just did a quickie search here on Ebay and picked one at random. You could maybe link to individual cameras via the web interface.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; December 3, 2016, 10:26 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, is there an 8 port converter somewhere?

Comment

Any interest in a blue Cherry 8-port capture card for Blue iris software? I have one I was thinking of putting on eBay.
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

is there an 8 port converter somewhere?

I do not know.

You can purchase two Axis 2400 SD video servers (4 ports each) for a song and a dance these days. Very well constructed and made to last forevery.

Here had a mix of analog and digital HD cams and continued to use Zoneminder.

I did a mix here using:

1 - Zoneminder (the more memory and CPU the better)
              2 - Grandstream IP HD cameras (plus my DIY'd cameras) and modded Optex combo cameras (Optex is very modular).
              BTW old Optex is very stealthy looking where as new Optex looks like a camera. I still have indoor small PIRs with cameras. These are very modular and converting them to IP HD is easy today. You cannot tell that these are cameras as they look like regular PIRs. The newest IP HD camera boards are just one board today where as old ones were two and three stacked boards.
              3 - Grandstream decoder (mini server of sorts with analog video outputs and digital video outputs)
              4 - HAI Video CCTV hub (for HAI Omnitouch touchscreens)
              5 - Axis camera servers for analog (switching out the 8 port analog camera cards).

Purchased a Grandstream DVR but have left it in the box.

This allowed me to downsize my Zoneminder box (small footprint now with a BCM motherboard).
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Can't use it Happ, not using a desktop.

Comment

Pete, I've finally gotten around to working on this. I have a couple of Axis 241Q 4 port encoders. I've hit the reset button to reset to factory, but they're still now showing up in my router. I've looked in the docs, but I haven't seen anything to suggest I have to log in via serial to set up. There's not much on initial login to be honest. Any pointers?

Comment

Got it. wasn't reinstating power with the reset button pressed.

Comment

Good news tome10!

Axis stuff is made to last.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Well, I have a little x for an image, so somethings wrong with my browser settings. I guess.
                        Last edited by tome10; November 28, 2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Yes.

I do not recall anything special about the browser interface to my Axis 2400.

I do not think that it used Active X.

Axis Manual

Looking at the manual there are a few references to using Internet Explorer so it might be using Active X stuff.

1 - change streaming to JPG on the configuration manual to start testing
                          2 - Install VLC and the browser plugin and try again.

Can you see the configuration menus on the Axis server?
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I can see the axis config page's fine. I was using Chrome as the browser, and had to go do other stuff. I'll try again tonight.

Comment

Read the manual...this is a copy and paste.

Notes: (this is related to Firmware 7.10 or higher)

• To view streaming video in Microsoft Internet Explorer, set your web browser to allow
                              the installation of AXIS Media Control (AMC) on your computer. AMC also provides an
                              MPEG-4 decoder for viewing MPEG-4 video streams. This decoder is installed the first time
                              an MPEG-4 video stream is accessed. Please note that the product administrator may have
                              disabled the installation of the decoder, as a license is required for each instance. See page
                              25 for more information.
                              • If your workstation restricts the use of additional software components, the AXIS
                              241Q/241S can be configured to use a Java applet for updating JPEG images. Please see the
                              online help for more information.
                              • When using a browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer with AMC, instead of a
                              stop, a snapshot and a full screen button, there is a stop and play button in the bottom left
                              corner of the live view page. For a description of these buttons see The Live View page,
                              below.
                              Last edited by Pete; November 29, 2017, 08:47 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X