A device connected directly to computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A device connected directly to computer

I would like to connect a Global Cache IP2cc with an ethernet cable directly to my computer. When I do that the Global Cache IP2cc is not being found.
    If I connect to a router and my computer to a router then it is discoverd. The router is not connected to the internet. Just the two ethernet cables are connected.

Is there a was to configure things so I can go directly?

I don't want to control anything but the IP2CC. No other devices.

Originally posted by burnandreturn View Post
    I would like to connect a Global Cache IP2cc with an ethernet cable directly to my computer. When I do that the Global Cache IP2cc is not being found.
    If I connect to a router and my computer to a router then it is discoverd. The router is not connected to the internet. Just the two ethernet cables are connected.

Is there a was to configure things so I can go directly?

I don't want to control anything but the IP2CC. No other devices.
    You probably have a few hurdles. One, the router is probably providing IP addresses via DHCP even if it isn't connected to the internet. You would need to manually configure the network adapters to status IPs on both the computer and device. Next, you can't use a standard network cable. You would probably need to use a network crossover cable but that would depend on how the device's adapter is wired. If you plan to also connect to the internet or other devices on the computer via the wireless network card, now you are getting into custom routing which is extremely challenging going device to device to router.

Comment

First go to Global Cache and download both iHelp and the (excuse me) the manual.

You can then manually configure the IP2CC IP address to be on the same subnet as you computer.

Once both are on the same subnet try a direct connection and most computer these day have auto sensing and can manage this.

@MrBoo identified this will now depend on either the computer auto sensing the crossover or you will need a crossover cable. The crossover cable managed the Rx/Tx which is otherwise managed the router.

Comment

The computer's network adapter will also need to be static configured if it is currently DHCP and pulled from the router that is assigning addresses.

Computer: 192.168.1.1
        Global Cache: 192.168.1.2

Subnet for both: 255.255.255.0

Can the computer search for the device via IP? You will not have DNS with this config.

Comment

I have been trying to get this to work but no luck. The IP2CC unit can be seen by the computer when hooked direct when Ihelp is run. But the Homeseer software won't recognize the IP2CC. I tried with a normal cable and a crossover cable. With ihelp either cable worked. It is not the end of the world as I was only trying to eliminate one piece of hardware.

Comment

Working...
          X