touchscreen and....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

touchscreen and....?

It seems that i might can get my hand on some (i find cheap) 12.1" touchscreens. The connect with vga and serial.
    Am i missing something or would i be able to use this with:
    - A simple motherboard (onboard audio/vga) or a simple viddeocard
    - a processor (i was thinking of around 800mhz )
    - Some Ram
    - (wireless) network card
    - tv card on motherboard
    ( as less a possible , becose of cost's and noise (heat)

Uses i would like: (touchpad plug in ??)
    -Control x10 (status report etc)
    -streaming media from server
    -Internet/mail acces trough server
    -TV (tv card add on on motherboard)

**edit** looks like i forgot a harddisk or other (Memory stick e.d.) to put an operating system on.. **end edit **

If anyone could tell me if i'm thinking in the right direction i would appreciate that.

Rob

*** Wished the US changed to 220V :-) ***

[This message was edited by Cherryman on Tue, 03 February 2004 at 06:45 AM.]

Aught to work perfectly especially if they are touch screens.

-Rupp

If Fedex and UPS were to merge, would they call it FedUP?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

tnx Rupp, well they are.. just waiting for the seller to react.. I'm with tease kind of things (websales that llok to good to be true) always carefull not to be to happy, before i actaually hold the (working) product in my hands :-)

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=14946

SteveB had a thread on these a while back but I never heard back form him.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...2&m=9556011084

-Rupp

Comment

No Rupp bigger ...wait i have a picture...

... is it just me.. ? but if i see things like this..i want to have it yesterday.. in my kitchen.. in the bedroom.. in the hallway.. whatever.. *s*

And to satisfy the next question: 200 Euro,- well it is still a lot of mony.. but i don't think it;s overpaied

Comment

I'm with you. For roughly $250 dollars for a touch screen, sounds like a steal to me. What resolution can they run at?

-Rupp

Comment

De max resolutie is 1024x768 32bit , echter ik vind hem het mooist op 800x600 32bit, hierbij heb je echt een haarscherp beeld.

that means (accoarding to the seller) it can run 1024x768 but he likes it at best at 800x600 32bit (most sharp)

I talked to him and i can pick them up tomorrow. still not sure if i take one and try... or two... maybe three... grinnn.. but the fam still have to eat this month *s*

Comment

I wonder what the cost would be shipped to the U.S. - I am interested at that price! The family can eat macaroni and cheese out of a box for a few months...

The only thing you need to have in finding a computer to run the touchscreen is the knowledge of whether the touchscreen data itself comes in the form of an RS-232 connection or USB. Some small computers lack the RS-232 connections, so it would be bad to buy one that didn't have it.

Rich has found and used a small (looks like an external CD ROM drive) computer with the 3M touchscreen at tradeshows. This is the touchscreen that looks like a mirror when it is off, so a very classy piece of hardware. Anyway, these computers are pretty plentiful in various styles and sizes, and many can be purchased at under $200.

For just running a web browser, not much CPU or RAM is needed, and you can even get them with Linux to make them even less expensive. There are browsers that run under Linux, so from a visual standpoint it would look almost no different from that of IE.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
                HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Rick, well it is still first see then believe. When i talked to the seller yesterday he told me he had just a few left i had to hurry. Today (ready to drive to the other side of the country) he didn't had any left and expected a new shipment monday. So we made an appointment for monday..:-( I wil keep you guys informed) But i did understand he had a one time "stock: bought somewhere.. but now i'm not sure.. Still think there is a catch.. but it looks promissing, they are all new in the box with 6 months garaties..

They use serial connection.

Comment

Where can i get those Small touch screen PC's ?

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."
                    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."
                    - Isaac Asimov

Comment

The touchscreens mentioned by Cherryman are the XT1212N screens but sold by a Dutch company that sells overstock items. These screens used to be sold by earthlcd.com also. For specs see:
                      http://www.earthlcd.com/downloads/XT1212N.PDF
                      EarthLcd still does sell other openframe touchscreens.

HenkR
                      Attached Files

Comment

UPDATE:

i finally got three of them

Got one connected works perfect, now i need to look into webpages, scripting..etc..

for those who are curious, current setup:

P4 with windows xp prof.
                        VGA card with dual monitor output
                        one normal monitor works fine
                        One touchscreen as showm above
                        nice part: both my mouse and the touch interface work at the same time.
                        for testing i now have the touchscreen on the side with the touchpad interface running.. and i work on the normal monitor ..so i can work easaly and test at the same time..
                        I realise it isn;t that usefull information.. but i can't stop smiling ...

Comment

I finally got round to updating the thread Rupp linked to above with some photos and more info if anyone's interested in the 7" touchscreens

Steve

Comment

I saw these a few months ago... but i was afraid that was some sort of scam! So i passed

You're happy with the touchscreen? No *weird* things going on? I really need to get one now

Grtz,
                            Dutch

Comment

Dutch.. I couldn't believe it either, therefore i didn't order them, but drove all the way to see them work. And indeed they work perfect! I hope you will get luckey and can get you're hands on one or few :-)

maybe you can get one here from a buyer who don't use them: touchscreen buyers forum

By the way, we could exchange some info about our hs setup. and exchange tips and tricks in a language we understand a little better.. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X