www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old January 14th, 2018, 08:52 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
I have 1wire temperature, humidity, pressure and light sensors. The initial script on Github was temperature I think only with maybe humidity support? When I forked it, I added add'l devices that I had (basically anything owfs supports that I was using). In that python script, I ingest a csv of the different devices:
https://github.com/mloebl/mqtt-owfs-...ces.csv.sample

I then read that in the owsensortype variable where depending on the device type from that csv, I process it as needed.

TBH I used 1wire and xAP for a very very long time and your plugins and apps worked great. However I wanted to reuse the existing CAT5e I had from the basement to the attic for 1wire as a dedicated ethernet/wifi IoT network. I had a hard time finding a simple light weight xAP server for Linux to load on a Pi.
It is nice that somebody has gone beyond the basic temperature with small-device 1-wire. Pete asked a question about recommendations about doing something very similar to what you did. I did not have a good answer for him so hopefully he is looking at this thread.

I also have a much 1-wire infrastructure that is being fed with old technology that just keeps working, but some day it will give out and the parts not replaceable so I am preparing for alternatives. I have a water meter counter that has been problematic. Each irrigation season I need to go figure out why it stopped working with the DS2423 1-wire. I'm now trying a Sonoff (<$5) configured as a counter and doing MQTT WiFi to replace the 1-wire at that location. Time will tell if the reliability will span multiple seasons. I would really like to interface 1-wire with the Sonoff. It's Tasmota software has DS18B20 library. I would like to extend it to cover the devices that I use. Likely will replace the 1-wire hubs with multiple Sonoff as the hubs are not replaceable. No urgency, but something to tinker with to be ready.

If you used the HS xAP plugin then you will be familiar with mcsMQTT plugin.
https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192675. I have also taken xapmcsDatabase that I use to maintain all my sensor history in a SQL Server database and added MQTT to it so it talks both xAP and MQTT. Simple way to migrate toward IOT incrementally and leverage my current technology.
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McSharry View Post
If you used the HS xAP plugin then you will be familiar with mcsMQTT plugin.
https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192675. I have also taken xapmcsDatabase that I use to maintain all my sensor history in a SQL Server database and added MQTT to it so it talks both xAP and MQTT. Simple way to migrate toward IOT incrementally and leverage my current technology.
I had *not* seen this, will check this out, thank you!!!
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:23 PM
OverSeer

Here doing a bit similar to Mike going baby steps...

Migrating Davis weather station over to the Meteostick. The console will continue to work but will not get serial data from it anymore...

Davis Console ==> buffered serial cable ==> RPi running Cumulus

Davis and other wireless weather stuff ==> Meteostick ==> WeeWx.

Over the last few months did this configuration for another Homeseer user and it's been working fine.

Also adding an RFXCom RX/TX box to the mix.

Cumulus never was configured to work with 1-Wire sensors and the author is retiring and WeeWx allows for more types of sensors including 1-Wire.

Over on the Domoticz forum there has been implementation using the SDR radio for similiar stuff that Mike is doing. Author there appears to have written the plugin there in LUA.

Here my 1-wire stuff was divided into multiple networks using Michael's xAP and multiple Temp0X devices and a couple of 9097's inside and outside. Still have two AAG original weather stations here from the late 1990's (plus Davis and a fine offset).

So here re purposed the 1-wire catXX cable which used to go down to the basement such that it goes to an RPi (ZNet like device) in the attic.

Recently have added the SDR radio to the RPi and it is connected to a small V-Dipole horizontally mounted for NOAA satellites. I do have another SDR radio...not sure if the RPi2 will work with two SDR radios.

I have Digitemp and OWFS running on the RPi (and MQTT from a long time ago)...just recently though drifted over to the NOAA satellite stuff.

Thank you Michael and Mike for all of this information!!

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old January 25th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Seer Master

Kind of amazed this stuff is transmitted in the clear. Seems like someone could bypass their meter and transmit in lieu of the meter a much lower power consumption.
Old January 25th, 2018, 11:24 AM
OverSeer

Typically by the time this stuff is approved it is already legacy.

IE: Smart Cards / Smart chip / encryption technologies were reverse engineered in the 1990's using software.

It is better though than a magnetic strip.
Old January 25th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Seer Master

Some utilities are starting to move to cellular and other means that are a bit more "secure". Plus, at least for my power meter, it beacons almost every second. The power our's is putting out is enough that with an antenna in my office, and my neighbor's power meter a few hundred feet away comes in pretty clear (also helps 900mhz penetrates structures reasonably well). I think you'd have to over power all those, and that would look suspicious unless you reproduced your neighborhood. They would probably catch on, and with triangulation, would be pretty easy to find and get a knock on the door about I guess not impossible, but probably improbable (not disagreeing the whole thing is insecure.)

I'm kind of disappointed, I can see my neighbor's gas meter beacon, still yet to see mine. Also unfortunately been too busy to do any work on this. Hopefully in a few weeks I can pick this up again.
Old January 25th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Seer Plus

Question, how does 1-wire work? Do you run wire (type? e.g. 22/4 work?) to every room in your house or only certain rooms? Does it end in an electrical box or low voltage box or somewhere else? I've started noticing about this reference (1-wire), but not sure what it really does or if needed generally...

Thanks, Dave
Old January 25th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Question, how does 1-wire work? Do you run wire (type? e.g. 22/4 work?) to every room in your house or only certain rooms? Does it end in an electrical box or low voltage box or somewhere else? I've started noticing about this reference (1-wire), but not sure what it really does or if needed generally...

Thanks, Dave
Kind of opening a can of worms question

Here's the formal articles on 1-wire:
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/a...ex.mvp/id/1796
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/a...dex.mvp/id/148

It can be run over RJ11, but many people (like myself) use CAT5 or better. I ran normal CAT5e/CAT6 to my jacks in different rooms, punched them down as normal ethernet, but used the jack for 1wire. Many of the devices use either RJ11 or RJ45 connectors as well. For the most part, there are 2 wires used (though I have seem some proprietary variations where more than 2 are used.) The longer the wire, the more devices, etc it may require a power injector or it's unreliable. You can T tap off and add devices anywhere off the bus as well, and they even sell/sold hubs that combined power injecting and switching to enable more complex setups. Each device has it's own unique assigned address which is why this works.

In my opinion, it's kind of a dying technology (others may disagree here) as unless looking for a temperature sensor (Amazon/Ebay has them), I find it's getting harder (and more expensive) to get replacement devices for other sensor types, hubs and injectors. I am slowly phasing it out.

There are a few ways you can interface to it; USB, Serial interfaces. Also many devices like Raspberry Pis and Arduinos can directly connect, however, may run into distance limitations and need a script or some code to read:
https://pinout.xyz/pinout/1_wire
https://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/OneWire

Pete may have a better answer, but that's my .02
Old January 25th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Seer Plus

Thanks mloebl, I may just ignore the tech, but will read up a bit around it.
Old January 25th, 2018, 01:22 PM
OverSeer

I agree with Mike as it is a dying technology today.

My term for using it is the "long math" way (serial).

Many Homeseer 1-2 users used 1-Wire technology back when.

Today it has gone a bit to a wireless Arduino / RPi environmental type devices.

Here recently built an RPi 1-wire hub connected to 2nd floor temperature and humidity sensors from the attic down reusing what I had in place. I have though been collecting these sensors since the 1990's and they never fail.

BTW the default drivers for 1-wire these days are part of the Linux Debian operating system and reintroduced to first RPi's running Linux Wheezy, then Jessie and today Stretch.
Old January 26th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I agree with Mike as it is a dying technology today.

My term for using it is the "long math" way (serial).

Many Homeseer 1-2 users used 1-Wire technology back when.

Today it has gone a bit to a wireless Arduino / RPi environmental type devices.

Here recently built an RPi 1-wire hub connected to 2nd floor temperature and humidity sensors from the attic down reusing what I had in place. I have though been collecting these sensors since the 1990's and they never fail.

BTW the default drivers for 1-wire these days are part of the Linux Debian operating system and reintroduced to first RPi's running Linux Wheezy, then Jessie and today Stretch.
Thanks Pete - I have an opportunity now to run some wires if it makes sense, but sounds like it won't matter for that particular tech...
Old January 26th, 2018, 06:11 AM
OverSeer

Yeah in one house here repurposed in place telephone cables way back. I also used the old telephone lines for Homeseer Speaker with HS version 1.

Worked great.

The cost of cable and 1-wire temperature sensors is way low compared to purchasing wired or wireless sensors.

My Leviton Omni Pro temperature sensors are around $50 each.

I was an avid xAP user and combined the two technologies for a very long time.

I am currently combining many functions on the 1-wire hub in the attic. IE: it is a ZWave device and now an SDR radio device.

I can mini this and single purpose the 1-wire hub to an Arduinio these days.

Last edited by Pete; January 26th, 2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old January 26th, 2018, 02:51 PM
OverSeer

This morning had a new radio installed on my sensus water meter.

The box is probably 1/2 the size of the telco box. I wrote down everything on the module and what was on the box.

It is using Flexnet 2W which is a two way private network.

Well it looks to be running at 1 Watt and may go to a repeater.

Name:  sensus.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  59.1 KB
Old January 26th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
This morning had a new radio installed on my sensus water meter.

The box is probably 1/2 the size of the telco box. I wrote down everything on the module and what was on the box.

It is using Flexnet 2W which is a two way private network.

Well it looks to be running at 1 Watt and may go to a repeater.

Attachment 66169
Pete, I have a water meter using se sensus as well. How did you do it? Can you post more details instructions, I'm looking for a way to read my meter for long time, here the water is soon expensive, I would love to be able to read my meter as well.

Thanks,
Aldo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old January 26th, 2018, 05:12 PM
OverSeer

@Aldo,

The radio is new and I have no clue about it yet.

Looks maybe to be a private channel GSM/LTE connection?

The installer mentioned that the meters can be read at the water department (which is a few miles away).

Way long time ago added two water meters for my own reads here using a dual 1-wire counter.

To validate the numbers you see you just need to do a bucket test.
Old January 26th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Super Seer

Thanks Pete.

Aldo