Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Device" is not responding

Hum...

For a day or so, when I give Alexa a command, it WORKS but I get an error back saying

"Bob's Desk" (or what ever the device is) is not responding...

Yet it does the command just as fast as normal.

I did an update, a COLD boot, a discover, and I still get the error message...

What gives...

here is where I turned my desk light on...

Mar-04 2:57:58 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 2 IBB Office Bobs Desk Set to 99
    Mar-04 2:57:58 PM Device Control Device: Node 2 IBB Office Bobs Desk to On (99) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

and my Config...

Current Date/Time: 3/4/2018 3:01:31 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.368
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 6 Minutes 36 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.86.22
    Number of Devices: 94
    Number of Events: 27
    Available Threads: 400

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.12: AirplaySpeak
    3.0.0.14: NetCAM
    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

HELP DESK (copy/paste section below to help desk tickets & emails)

Current Date/Time: 3/4/2018 3:01:32 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.368
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 6 Minutes 37 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.86.22
    Number of Devices: 94
    Number of Events: 27
    Available Threads: 400
    License: Registered
    License: 97596
    User Name and Access Level: default (Admin)
    WAN IP Address: 98.233.83.46
    Web Server Port: 80
    Location: (Latitude) 39.28 (Longitude) 76.62 City/State-US-Maryland,Baltimore,76.62,39.28

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.12: AirplaySpeak
    3.0.0.14: NetCAM
    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Originally posted by rsisson View Post
    Hum...

For a day or so, when I give Alexa a command, it WORKS but I get an error back saying

"Bob's Desk" (or what ever the device is) is not responding...

Yet it does the command just as fast as normal.
    I here that on occasion. Something to do with the connection between MYHS and Alexa I guess. Doesn't seem to be anything specific that's causing it on my end, it just crops up every once in a while. Figure you are going from Echo - Amazon - MYHS - Your HS Server - back to Amazon - back to your Echo. Lot's of stuff that can go wrong in there.

Comment

When the device DOESN'T respond, I figue that a server somewhere either timed out or got confused.

I figure that if the device RESPONDS and I get an error message back fast, that the AMAZON server got confused....

I guess I could turn up the logging level and see what HS3 is saying, but was wondering if there was some protocol issues in the MYHS devices...

Comment

+1
        Sometimes, there is a long delay before Alexa tells me the device is not responding, and a further delay before the command is actually performed. I wait for a few hours and the situation clears up with nothing done on my side.

Gary

Comment

you are not alone!

"Device is not responding" - device turns on
          Alexa, turn on sink light "OK!' - nothing happens
          Alexa turn on sink light - Alexa ring turns blue and after long delay device responds

Comment

If the echo doesn't get a reply back within a certain amount of time it will give a "Device is not responding" message, even though the process may have completed successfully.

That's something we don't have control over.
            Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

hello, I have a Aleax question also, I just purchased HS3 and have noticed that at random when I ask Alexa to turn on Lights the circle light will spin but hesitate, but after a few seconds it will say ok or reports the device is not responding but then a few more seconds later it will run the event anyway. I had a similar issue with my ISY994i and their portal so I was wondering is there anything we can do to help? I have 7 echos and one of them is 3 feet from the router so im sure its not always the wifi signal as Amazon says but I have a Verzion router 900+mbps speed, 2 Netgear 24 port switches, 1- 24 for Blue iris and 14 cameras , and 1-for my home network, with 6xRokus, and the Plex/Homeseer PC, would it help to plug the plex/homeseer pc directly into the router? bypassing the switch.. Since this happen with Homeseer and my ISY I believe its a Alexa issue with traffic on their server since it seems to happen for me during the morning and even hours when more people are probably using the service? so i'm trying to think of ways to help Alexa get the most direct route if it would help

Billy

Comment

I don't think reconfiguring your system will make any difference. The stuff that needs reconfiguring is likely in the cloud. If amazon gets busy, or is under a DOS atack, or the HS portal is busy, or any Miriad of things, one of the many acknowledges can get delayed. When I get the "isn't responding" message, I do something simple such as ask the time, and then try a device that rarely fails... Normaly by then whatever cyber blockage is gone and everything is back to normal. If Alexa can't tell me the time, I know it is the ISP. ONLY when she comes back with "I'm having trouble connecting" is it something in -my- network.

Comment

Thanks rsisson, I guess if she cant tell the time i should be worried! and i will give that a try next time. Its free for now so ill just have to be patient and remind the others in my house to do the same

Comment

Working...
                  X