X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJ View Post
    Automateme-

Thanks for the help. I think I have got it this time, but give it a try. I'm sorry that this process is so complicated, we don't have zone controller HW to test with, so it somewhat hit-or miss on development.

RJ, I am very much interested in this plug-in including the support of RCS ZCVx zone controllers as well as RS21 remote sensors. Your work is appreciated.

I have a new ZCV4 zone controller that I purchased in anticipation of HS support. I have not yet installed it and would be willing to loan it to HST for a short period if it would help the plug-in development. Let me know.
    Regards, Frank.

Comment

Hi Frank-

We appreciate your generosity, but it looks like most of the bugs are hammered out at this point. If we ever encounter a point where we cannot make the plugin work without hardware, we will probably contact RCS directly for a test unit.
      -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

If we ever encounter a point where we cannot make the plugin work without hardware, we will probably contact RCS directly for a test unit.
        Please be sure to handle multiple zone controllers - it isn't clear that the present plugin knows how to deal with them. I don't see any way to tell it where one controller leaves off and the next begins. I will have one ZCV4 managing three zones, and a second ZCV4 managing two.

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by brothers View Post
          Please be sure to handle multiple zone controllers - it isn't clear that the present plug-in knows how to deal with them. I don't see any way to tell it where one controller leaves off and the next begins. I will have one ZCV4 managing three zones, and a second ZCV4 managing two.

- Dennis Brothers
          YES! Great point. Supporting multiple zone controllers is a must.

I don't have anything installed yet but from overlooking the ZCV4 docs it looks like the controller's 1st zone starts at the controller's starting address (1 by default) and each zone increments by 1. With multiple controllers on the 485 buss, you would set the next zone controller address to the first controller's last zone + 1. (e.g. 5). You address the second set of zones using addresses 5-8. I have not yet installed the plug-in yet either so I don't know if the multiple controllers would be supported this way.

Frank

Comment

Hi Guys-

Just posted a new build (2.3.2558.27614) which should fix the errors you were seeing.

Also, I don't know how it started, but I want to dispell the myth that the plugin does not handle Zone Controllers. There might be bugs right now, but by no means do we plan to ignore this.

EDIT: Whoops, multiple Zone controllers. Silly me, I need to read carefully next time.

Dennis Brothers-

How are the multiple zone controllers addressed in the RCS system? If they have two unique addresses, these can be added to the plugin as two zone controllers. If they do not, and each zone has a unique address, this can be added as one thermostat with five zones. Is there a specific problem with this right now?
            -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

I'm stumped. I have a zone controller and have all my thermostats defined as standalone and they work perfectly defined in that manner. However, if I try to set up one thermostat, defined as a zone controller, then add my zones to that thermostat, the only thermostat (zone) that reads correctly is the first one. The other zones do not display any valid information. Maybe I'm not understanding correctly how I should be setting up the zone controller under the new plug-in?? At the moment, I'm just leaving each thermostat defined separately as standalone as everything works fine.
              HS: 2.5.0.60
              Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
              Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
              Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
              Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
              UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
              Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Hi Jstaab-

Do you have a debug log segement from either scenario? If your thermostats are responding as standalones, that means the addressing is somehow diferent in your system.

Basically, each thermostat has two numbers in its address, the "Address" and the "Zone", A and Z respectively. When the plugin is set up as a zone controller, it sends:

A=1 Z=1
                A=1 Z=2
                A=1 Z=3
                A=1 Z=4

When setup as standalones, it sends:

A=1 Z=1
                A=2 Z=1
                A=3 Z=1
                A=4 Z=1

So, if you have a zone controller, I don't know why it responds to the second and not the first. Again, if you have a debug log segment you could post or send to me, I might be able to figure it out.
                -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

Let me see if I can snag some data...

Comment

Here is one pass, not sure if this is what your looking for:
                    1/3/2007 4:39:40 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Poll Thread Loop Starting: 1/3/2007 4:39:40 PM
                    1/3/2007 4:39:40 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Polling stat number: 1
                    1/3/2007 4:39:40 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In Poll: Time: 1/3/2007 4:39:40 PM
                    1/3/2007 4:39:40 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Writing Data: A=1 Z= O=00 R=1
                    1/3/2007 4:39:41 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Writing Data: A=1 Z= O=00 R=2
                    1/3/2007 4:39:41 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Writing Data: A=1 Z= O=00 SC=?
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~A=0 O=1 OA=48 Z=1 T=70 SP=70 SPH=70 SPC=81 M=A FM=0
                    A=0 O=1 H1A=0 H2A=0 H3A=0 C1A=0 C2A=0 FA=0 VA=0 D1=0 D2=0 D3=0 D4=0 SM=O SF=0 SCP=11
                    A=0 O=1 SC=1
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Entering ProcessCMD, CMD=A=0 O=1 OA=48 Z=1 T=70 SP=70 SPH=70 SPC=81 M=A FM=0
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= A
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= O
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= OA
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= Z
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Entering ProcessCMD, CMD=A=0 O=1 OA=48 Z=1 T=70 SP=70 SPH=70 SPC=81 M=A FM=0
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= A
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= O
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= OA
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= Z
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= T
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SP
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SPH
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SPC
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= M
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= FM
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= T
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SP
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SPH
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SPC
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= M
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= FM
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Entering ProcessCMD, CMD=A=0 O=1 H1A=0 H2A=0 H3A=0 C1A=0 C2A=0 FA=0 VA=0 D1=0 D2=0 D3=0 D4=0 SM=O SF=0 SCP=11
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= H1A
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= H2A
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= H3A
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= C1A
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= C2A
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= FA
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= VA
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= D1
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= D2
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= D3
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= D4
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SM
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SF
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SCP
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Entering ProcessCMD, CMD=A=0 O=1 SC=1
                    1/3/2007 4:39:43 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~In ProcessCMD, Property= SC
                    1/3/2007 4:39:46 PM ~!~RCS Serial Thermostats DEBUG~!~Writing Data: A=1 Z= O=00 OT=49

Comment

As near as I can tell, to receive the individual statuses of each zone from my controller, the Address needs to be the address of the zone, at least that is what I came up with hyperterm directly tied to the controller. It doesn't appear that a Type 1 status request returns all zone information as the docs states, at least here anyway. Also, for a status request, I don't think the zone is applicable, unless I'm not reading things correctly, which very well could be.

Hi Jstaab-

Do you have a debug log segement from either scenario? If your thermostats are responding as standalones, that means the addressing is somehow diferent in your system.

Basically, each thermostat has two numbers in its address, the "Address" and the "Zone", A and Z respectively. When the plugin is set up as a zone controller, it sends:

A=1 Z=1
                      A=1 Z=2
                      A=1 Z=3
                      A=1 Z=4

A=1 Z=1
                      A=2 Z=1
                      A=3 Z=1
                      A=4 Z=1

So, if you have a zone controller, I don't know why it responds to the second and not the first. Again, if you have a debug log segment you could post or send to me, I might be able to figure it out.

Comment

Hi Jstaab-

A=1 Z=1
                        A=1 Z=2
                        A=1 Z=3
                        A=1 Z=4

A=1 Z=1
                        A=2 Z=1
                        A=3 Z=1
                        A=4 Z=1

Only the ZC6 (obsolete, I think) zone controller used the first scheme. The current ZCV series uses the second format (in fact, it ignores any Z commands, as I understand it).

See the protocol support matrix at the end of the RCS serial protocol doc, along with the ZCV controller doc.

I think you need to decide whether to treat zone controllers as devices in their own right, with controller-specific properties, independent of the thermostats (WDUs) connected to them. I'd prefer it done that way.

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

The prior plugin didn't have any zone type of setup. All thermostats were pretty much standalone, regardless of whether or not you had a zone controller. Obviously the zone controller specific functions such as the damper information would only be returned if a zone controller responded. As I mentioned, my thermostats all defined as standalone are working perfectly and I really don't see any need to change them to zones. The only thing that will be missing are any zone controller specific functions that the prior plugin provided limited support for. Now if RJ could actually make the 'Cmdsendcustom' a function that could return the information from the call to controller, we would be able to do anything else we need via scripts. The Cmdsendcustom function works for sending, but I don't believe it returns anything.

Originally posted by brothers View Post
                          Only the ZC6 (obsolete, I think) zone controller used the first scheme. The current ZCV series uses the second format (in fact, it ignores any Z commands, as I understand it).

See the protocol support matrix at the end of the RCS serial protocol doc, along with the ZCV controller doc.

I think you need to decide whether to treat zone controllers as devices in their own right, with controller-specific properties, independent of the thermostats (WDUs) connected to them. I'd prefer it done that way.

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

I would prefer the current heretical implementation. This could support the zone controller specific functions directly and well as the thermostat functions. I'm sure the communication protocol issues can be worked out. RJ, my offer is still good as I haven't installed the controller yet.

Regards,
                            Frank

Comment

Forgot to post, as of this build, I am no longer receiving any messages in the log, which is a good thing :-)

Hi Guys-

Just posted a new build (2.3.2558.27614) which should fix the errors you were seeing.

Also, I don't know how it started, but I want to dispell the myth that the plugin does not handle Zone Controllers. There might be bugs right now, but by no means do we plan to ignore this.

EDIT: Whoops, multiple Zone controllers. Silly me, I need to read carefully next time.

Dennis Brothers-

How are the multiple zone controllers addressed in the RCS system? If they have two unique addresses, these can be added to the plugin as two zone controllers. If they do not, and each zone has a unique address, this can be added as one thermostat with five zones. Is there a specific problem with this right now?

Comment

Hi Guys-

THE BAD NEWS: We haven't had a zone controller here to test with. I've been coding "in the dark" to a certain extent, so the Zone controller stuff has been hit or miss.

THE GOOD NEWS: We are getting a zone controller from RCS to work with. The plugin is on hiatus until it arrives, but this should help us work out the finer details of communication.
                                -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

Working...
                                X