Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SmartStick "Lost" on my System Every 10 minutes! Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SmartStick "Lost" on my System Every 10 minutes! Ideas?

Hello all,

I have a mystery that I'd really like help solving.

I recently moved from HS2 to HS3 and am still a majority X10 user. I am slowing moving to Z-wave and only have a couple of devices so far. I am using the SmartStick as my main controller, and it seems to be working fine except for the following. Every 10 minutes, down to the second practically, it falls off my COM port briefly then comes back. Here's a filtered excerpt from my HS3 log:
    Jul-08 9:18:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 9:08:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 8:58:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 8:48:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 8:38:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 8:28:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 8:18:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 8:08:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 7:58:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 7:48:30 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 7:38:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 7:28:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 7:18:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 7:08:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 6:58:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 6:48:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 6:38:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 6:28:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 6:18:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 6:08:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 5:58:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 5:48:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    Jul-08 5:38:29 AM Z-Wave Warning SmartStickPlus: The serial port (COM3) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...

Now I have suspected that my USB ports on my ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard have been going bad for some time now, as most of my other USB peripherals have had some issues.So much so that I installed a PCI card with 4 USB3.0 ports to run other things (and unfortunately I could not get HS3 to recognize the SmartStick in those ports, dammit).

So anyone have any idea why 1) the COM3 fails every 10 minutes, and 2) why the SmartStick won't work on my USB3.0 PCI card?

Thanks!

Mike

It might be the power management settings. Make sure ports, and any other devices, are not set to sleep if idle.

No ideas on the USB3/smartstick
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Are you running any anti-virus software that may be scanning at this time. Look in the Windows event viewer and see if any errors are happening at that interval. Also check the CPU usage at the interval. Lastly, if something else is sharing that USB stack it could be using too much power and causing a drop of this device. I would recommend trying a powered USB hub and connecting it to a dedicated USB root hub and see if this issue doesn't subside.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks again for your help, Rupp. You sure are a Super-seer! With staying power!

Anyway, I checked antivirus and EventViewer logs. Nothing there.
        I went into my BIOS and found a setting for "USB Legacy Support" that was disabled. Not sure what that does, but enabling it seems to have solved the problem for now...time will tell.

In the meantime, I getting a bunch new logged errors not being able to communicate with my CM11A. They're intermittent, and things seem to be working, but...Any idea what causes:
        Jul-08 8:22:29 PM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
        Jul-08 8:22:24 PM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
        Jul-08 8:22:19 PM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
        Jul-08 8:22:11 PM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
        Jul-08 8:22:06 PM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
        Jul-08 8:22:01 PM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
        Jul-08 8:21:56 PM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting

Mike

P.S. Thanks also, rmasonjr. I had already checked that.

Comment

Working...
        X