Zee S2 Crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zee S2 Crashing

There have been reported issues with HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.425. Many folks have downgraded to HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.424. There is also now HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.427 posted.

Here I was running HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.425 for a couple of weeks with no issues (no crashes) and upgraded to HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.427.

I am also utilizing Omni Plugin V3.0.2.8 here. Using ZWave 3.0.1.210 here.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Still no joy. Support is suggesting that it could be an anti-virus or firewall. Insofar as this is a Zee unit, I'm not sure how the anti-virus/firewall running on another computer on my network could interfere with the Zee. Any thoughts?

My router (a TP-Link) does have a built-in firewall. Could that be causing it? Again, I'm not sure that I believe it because I've not changed the configuration of the router and the Zee was working fine until a week ago.

Tonight I will try running the Zee with the Omni PI disabled and see if that has anything to do with it. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll turn off any computer running anti-virus and separately turn off the router's firewall.

Comment

Support is suggesting that it could be an anti-virus or firewall.

On Windows yes. On the RPi no.

My router (a TP-Link) does have a built-in firewall. Could that be causing it?

no.

Disable all of your plugins.

Update your Zee to current release version 4.28.

Reboot your RPi then see if it starts OK.

Then enable your PI's and see if they run.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks, Pete.
          It definitely wasn't the OMNI.
          I'd like to try your solution. On the computer interface (Tools, Setup, General) . .425 is listed as current and I do not see .428 even as a beta.

How can I download and install it?

Comment

Are you familiar with using SSH to your new Zee2?

Is your RPi wired or wireless.

If wireless please connect it via an Ethernet cable to any switch you have around.

1 - shut down Homeseer 3 via the GUI.

2 - ssh to your RPi

3 - back up the Homeseer directory.
            a - ssh to your RPi (Zee2)
            b - type cd /
            c - type sudo mkdir homeseer-backup
            d - type sudo cp -a /usr/local/HomeSeer/. /homeseer-backup/HomeSeer-BU04182018
            e - it will take maybe a minute to backup the HomeSeer directory.

4 - updating your Homeseer build
            a - ssh to your RPi
            b - cd /usr/local/HomeSeer
            c - type sudo ./updatehs.sh 428
            d - this will update your Zee2 HS3 to current version V.428.
            e - type reboot
            f - go to HS3 web gui and validate that you are running V.428
            Last edited by Pete; April 18, 2018, 07:38 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks, Pete.
              Since I had my keyboard and monitor attached to the Zee, I just did this all directly. BTW: For anyone else doing this, note that there is a space in the middle between the "HomeSeer/." and the "/homeseer-backup" . I should have seen it right away because of the syntax, but I'm not a big Linux user.

Anyway, Pete's update procedure worked a treat. I'm running .428. (Weirdly enough, the Setup tab tells me an update is available to .425.

I'll now add back my PI's and see what happens.

BTW: Does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of devices a Zee can controll reliably?

***UPDATE*** Unfortunately, about 30 minutes after loading the OMNI PI, HS3 crashed with the same message: "Error sending over stream: Unable to write date to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down." It then tries to restart HS3 but doesn't manage.
              Last edited by SHPHomeSeer; April 18, 2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your Zee2 crashing. Not totally sure that it would be a plugin causing the crash.

Try this next ....

SSH to the Zee2

What size SD card are you using?

Type

df -l or df -H

Here is what you will see.

Code:
                Pine64:~# df -l
                Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
                /dev/root       30903180 12010996  17596384  41% /
                devtmpfs          815492        0    815492   0% /dev
                tmpfs            1018176       24   1018152   1% /dev/shm
                tmpfs            1018176     9044   1009132   1% /run
                tmpfs               5120        4      5116   1% /run/lock
                tmpfs            1018176        0   1018176   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
                /dev/mmcblk0p1    102182    23280     78902  23% /boot
                tmpfs             203636        0    203636   0% /run/user/0

to check how much space is left on the SD card.

copy and paste your stuff here.

Above it shows I am using 41% of my primary partition.

Next type:

lsb_release -a

copy and paste your stuff here

Here is an example

Stretch175:~# lsb_release -a
                No LSB modules are available.
                Distributor ID: Raspbian
                Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)
                Release: 9.4
                Codename: stretch

next type:

mono -V

copy and paste your stuff here.

Here is an example

Stretch175:~# mono -V
                Mono JIT compiler version 5.10.1.47 (tarball Tue Apr 17 16:21:46 UTC 2018)
                Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
                TLS: __thread
                SIGSEGV: normal
                Notifications: epoll
                Architecture: armel,vfp+hard
                Disabled: none
                Misc: softdebug
                Interpreter: yes
                LLVM: supported, not enabled.
                GC: sgen (concurrent by default)

Baby steps now...
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Here's what I get. I didn't even realize there was an SD card (it's not visible as you know.) But does this mean it's 8GB?

homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2V2:~ $ df -l
                  Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                  /dev/root 7193528 4427316 2377760 66% /
                  devtmpfs 469688 0 469688 0% /dev
                  tmpfs 474004 8 473996 1% /dev/shm
                  tmpfs 474004 6680 467324 2% /run
                  tmpfs 5120 4 5116 1% /run/lock
                  tmpfs 474004 0 474004 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
                  tmpfs 474004 52 473952 1% /tmp
                  tmpfs 474004 204 473800 1% /var/log
                  /dev/mmcblk0p6 60478 19905 40573 33% /boot
                  tmpfs 94804 0 94804 0% /run/user/1001
                  homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2V2:~ $

Looks like I'm on an earlier version of Linux than you.

No LSB modules are available.
                  Distributor ID: Raspbian
                  Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)
                  Release: 8.0
                  Codename: jessie

www.mono-project.com
                  TLS: __thread
                  SIGSEGV: normal
                  Notifications: epoll
                  Architecture: armel,vfp+hard
                  Disabled: none
                  Misc: softdebug
                  LLVM: supported, not enabled.
                  GC: sgen

Comment

You are fine with Jessie / SD card memory.

Not sure what Mono Version you are running.

Earlier versions of the Zee had a compiled and built Mono on them which made it difficult to upgrade. Not sure though if this will fix your issues.

I am reading about issues relating to the upgrades in the Linux versions of Homeseer 3.

Ideally you want to remove and upgrade Mono to current release and I am not sure if you can do that with your Zee.

You should be fine with running Jessie current release of the Zee OS.

BTW here running HS3 Lite headless and only access it via SSH. Much easier for me to access it from wherever.

You should though configure you RPi such that it utilizes minimum amount of memory to do video as you do not need a directly connected console to manage the RPi.

Do this by running :

sudo raspi-config via ssh.

Configure your GPU to 16.

[ATTACH]68319[/ATTACH]

That said yesterday here updated my current HS3 Lite computer to V.431.

I personally have not had issues running HS3 Lite V.425 to V.431.

This morning noticed V.434 was released and I am reading about Ubuntu issues with V.434.

Historically there have been minimal or no issues running Homeseer 3 on Linux.

You should not be having any issues running current release of the ZWave and or Omni PI.

Here are some numbers relating to running HS3 Lite and V.431.

I am using HTOP...install it by doing the following:

1 - sudo apt-get update
                    2 - sudo apt-get install htop

When running htop edit display options (F2) as shown. Then save them with F10 (quit)

Reload htop then ....

[ATTACH]68317[/ATTACH]

When viewing do a filter (F4) for hs to display Homeseer stuff.

[ATTACH]68318[/ATTACH]

This will show just Homeseer 3 / mono / plugins.

[ATTACH]68316[/ATTACH]

I am curious what numbers you see when running the Zee with mentioned version of HS3 before it crashes.

Note too here I am running Homeseer 3 on a Pine64 ARM based 2Gb RAM computer and Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit server which is a bit different than the Raspberian builds (all 32 bit and 1Gb of RAM). Linux is Linux is Linux and Homeseer 3 runs on any Linux OS with Mono (from the get go).
                    Last edited by Pete; April 20, 2018, 07:38 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks, Pete.
                      Because it's new, I'm going to RMA the Zee today. Hopefully, it's the unit and a new one will work like it had been.
                      I'll report back.

Comment

Yeah I have not seen any hardware issues with any of my RPi's.

Not sure if you have a Zee2 with an internal ZWave GPIO card or USB stick.

I have seen the internal GPIO cards come loosey goosey here moving around the RPi. (hitting it with a hammer, throwing it across a room - just kidding).

(here utilize the GPIO card and an RTC shim underneath it).

Thinking that HST should be upgrading the Zee2 image to utilizing Stretch and most current version of Mono and current release of HS3 Lite and now the hardware for the Zee2 to the RPi3 B+.
                        Last edited by Pete; April 20, 2018, 11:59 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

It is a Zee S2. I just hope it has enough horsepower to handle all of my devices and do so stably.

Comment

Here running the Omni Pro PI on the HS3 Pro and the HS3 Lite box (Zee2 OS)

The Leviton HAI OP2 panel is connected to X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee. I am using all of the serial ports though on the OP2 today. (for tinkering mostly).

I am splitting up the functions of the plugin between the two instances a bit.

I believe today Rob (author of the Omni Plugin) is running the Omni Plugin / ZWave plugins and other PI's on the RPi (or equivalent) now since the beginning of the plugin.

The Zee2 allows for up to 5 plugins which doesn't include using it with the Amazon Alexa (built in) or Homeseer Touch (built in) or as many scripts as you want (built in).

Making the RPi 2-3 work hard can slow things down. It is related though to number of plugins, events, variables and scripts.

I read somewhere that while it is not apples to apples the RPi 2-3 similiar in speed to an Intel Core Duo with 1Gb of RAM.

Here in to tinkering with hardware such that I purchased a similar to but not the same as an RPi computer called the Pine64 a couple of years back.

Other HS3 users are using other computers similar to the RPi for certain features (like the Odroid). The Pine64 is one of the first ARM based computers with more than 1Gb of RAM. Newest Rock64 computer can be purchased with 4Gb of RAM and an OS running on an optional eMMC chip which personally is a bit better than an SD card.

Based on what you have written about your Zee S2 you should not have any issues running your 2-3 plugins.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X