This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 on Windows Server - as a service too

I see a number of enquiries about running HS2 on Windows Server.

For the record, I have now installed it extremely successfully. I have, however, created the following environment:

1. Windws Server 2003 on a server with no sound capability....
    2. Virtual Server 2005 (to allow enormous flexibility in test configs)
    3. XP configurations on top of that, all set to auto start on server start
    4. For anyone who wants to set up more virtual PCs than they have network cards on the server, there's a trick to sorting out the network ports (happy to document separately)
    5. One of them runs my old hs 1.7.45 (or so - from memory) for fallback
    6. One of them runs HS2 set up to run as a service (for cool handling in power fail scenarios)
    7. Remember to open the ports 80 and 8742 in the XP firewall as you can't just link to the HS program (as it is running as a service)
    8. HS Speaker client on my tablet PC...works brilliantly on VR showing your server doesn't need to!

I run latest MS patches on everything (no point in risking things).

Simon

Windows Server 2003 Issues

I am encouraged by your success with HomeSeer 2.0 and Windows Server 2003. I have both 1.7 and 2.0 (build 1971) loaded. I am attempting to get 2.0 to run; in the meantime I default back to 1.7.

Here is my issue: when I open the 1.7 xml file in 2.0, the opening "log" dialog box locks up and I cannot save the old configuration in the new format. The HS (web) interface, however, shows all of my devices and events from the 1.7 setup...which appear to work properly.

In looking through the log, it appears HS 2.0 is generating a "cannot write" error message, as if the disk were full (it is not full). I'm thinking this might be some type of permissions issue with 2003. Any suggestions?

As a separate issue, I am interested in your Item 4 (network ports). I currently use an Adaptec 4-port NIC, which works quite well. It is also quite expensive.

Thanks...Jerry

Comment

I am not clear whether you are running Windows Server or XP?

My physical server has 2 NICs. Virtual server allows those physical ports to be shared among as many virtual PCs as you want. you just have to configure them independently to have different MAC addresses (it would probably do so automatically fine if you only had one NIC which you shared) - the automatic process would get duplication between the virtual port MAC addresses associated with each physical NIC.

hope that clarifies that point.

simon

Comment

Working...
      X