Reliable USB over IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable USB over IP

I'm looking for a reliable USB over IP solution for a USB UIRT and a 433Mhz RFX receiver.

I purchased 2 startech USB2IP server and they continually drop connection. Need power cycle the device to get the server to see them again.

Was thinking about going this way - Silex SX-DS-4000U2 High Performance Gigabit USB Device Server - but who knows if that would be any better.

Any advise appreciated.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows 10 vmware)
    BLOccupied:,UltraNetCam3:,weatherXML:,RFXCOM:,Current Cost 3P:,UltraGCIR3:
    DMMQTT:,Kodi:,Z-Wave:,BLRadar:,EasyTrigger:,MySensors:,BLBackup:

I have read good things about Silex. Here today I use Digi USB Anywhere devices. I tested them with Homeseer VM's and they did work fine except for the W2C box and one audio USB card.

My connection was:
    Homeseer VM = (NETWORK) = > Digi USB Anywhere = = > Digi 7 port USB hub = = > 2 Digi Edgeports plus whatever else was plugged into USB hub.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I ordered the Silex it should arrive midweek, so we'll see.

I continue to experiment with the startech units and if you connect a flash drive they stay connected for days no issues. So something about the wgl800/usb uirt is different and the startech's don't like.

Will report back later.

Comment

A few years ago tried the SA USB Pim over the USB to network devices I have (also have Lantronix) and ended up talking their technical folks. I could not for any reason get it to work. The techs over at SA said it was related to their USB drivers. I never pursued anymore afterwards. Over the years relating to my HS connectivity I have always had better luck with serially connected devices whether direct or virtual. That is me though.
        Last edited by Pete; August 11, 2013, 02:02 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I just installed one of these to place my USBUIRT the in living room entertainment center, which is 30+ feet from my HS machine. I used a home run of Cat6 STP and so far it's working great! Note that this is a point-to-point solution and does not run over an IP network.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
          Best regards,
          -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
          Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

I use a couple of these in my setup, one for my ZWave stick and another for a Bluetooth dongle and they have been rock solid on Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and Windows 7 and 8 (64bit).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-port-usb-g...-server-521590

Not sure where you could source outside of the UK, but they are based on an Elite Silicon chip and if you can get hold of one, you need to have the latest firmware v2.055 from here:

http://www.elitesilicon.com/Support.html

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B0024G48MY

Looking at the Startech site, these seem to be based on the Elite Silicon chipset as well, so in theory should work the same as the ones I use sourced in the Uk.

Good luck!

Jon.

Comment

I almost ordered the Gb 4 port USB server from Maplin this morning. Instead I found one here reasonably priced. I am currently moving network from Gb to all managed Gb switches using TP-Link mini managed switches and I want to give this device a try.

Monoprice - it was $41 USD and it appears to be discontinued.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_...mat=4#feedback

Looks now that maybe I will order it from Maplin.

Found one at Silex:

http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/p...sx-3000gb.html

Another one which is a no name one on Amazon (with wireless).

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Networ.../dp/B006FT5WR6

Another one here:

http://www.digitus.info/en/products/...-hub-dn-13010/
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

The Silex SX-DS-4000U2 is waiting for me at home. Unfortunately I'm away on business and won't get to play with it until Monday night......I'll keep you posted.

D.

Comment

Thanks D. Looking forward to what you think about the Silex SX-DS-4000U2.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Ok......So I'm up on a vmware based Win 7 x64 machine. Running

Ztroller off an IP2SL connection - http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2sl-pspecs/
                      ACRF2 - IP 2 Serial - Sena LS100 - http://www.sena.com/products/device_servers/hd_lite.php
                      USB UIRT / RFXCOM 433MhZ USB to IP - Silex SX-DS-4000U2.

All is working good - but for a few hours only.

Only issue so far is the direct connected current cost envi - it's fighting as usual....

Comment

I should have said the silex was a very easy setup and I've had several devices connected to a test machine for a couple days no dropped connections. But the devices wern't doing anything either....

Comment

Thanks D.

I am curious to try a combo of a USB audio card, W2C box and a Mimo USB video monitor with local power. Last time I tried it was using the Lantronix box and it did work for the USB and W2C box; but it's been a couple of years and currently not using the Lantronix box.

Where did you purchase your Silex from?
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hold the fort...........Had to reboot Homeseer 4 time last nite/today. RFXCom on USB and ACRF@ on serial LS100 are losing there mind after a coule of hours. Seems like reseting the devices won't fix, but only a reboot of HS will resolve. Will take more exploring...

Comment

Latest experiments is to set both host and guest Power management such that only the monitor switches off. Particularly changed advanced power options and force USB power saving mode off. Also changed LS100 timeout delay to a VERY large number. Let's see if this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X